Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

jk3 on jk2 servers: Suggestion

Page: 1 of 1
 Shrimpkebab
04-07-2003, 4:32 PM
Jedi acadamy will use the same 3d engine as jk2 and the jk2 levels and modells will work in acadamy. So then raven should release a patch for jk2 so that the acadamy players will be able to join jk2 servers, i mean all you would have to do is "turn off" all the new stuff from jk3 when joining an old server.

Ive heard that they will have this option when they release Counterstrike: condition zero, new game will work on old servers. This would create an eaven larger community. im no programmer but in theory this would work. ofcourse jk2 players CANT join acadamy servers becouse of the new stuff.

Just a suggestion any feedback?

I would also really like to see Co-op Multiplayer mode, like speciall maps where you fight off hordes of Stormtroopers!
 CanadianSurfer
04-07-2003, 5:32 PM
Not getting the question.

It doesn't make much sense. :confused:
 Shrimpkebab
04-07-2003, 5:34 PM
maybe your not getting in becouse its not a question, its a suggestion. Just the abillity to join jk2 servers with all the new stuff turned off. Same engine, mostly same code so why not make the community larger.
 JaledDur
04-07-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Shrimpkebab
Jedi acadamy will use the same 3d engine as jk2 and the jk2 levels and modells will work in acadamy. So then raven should release a patch for jk2 so that the acadamy players will be able to join jk2 servers, i mean all you would have to do is "turn off" all the new stuff from jk3 when joining an old server.

I doubt they'll bother to do this. In fact I'm 99% sure they won't. the reason CSCZ could be able to do it so easily is that its a mod in the first place. It would just be a matter of switching mods when entering a game that requires that particular mod, which Half-Life does already. If we could create a mod that matched up with the older version of JK2 -- that *might* work.
 Prime
04-08-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Shrimpkebab

Ive heard that they will have this option when they release Counterstrike: condition zero, new game will work on old servers. This would create an eaven larger community. im no programmer but in theory this would work. ofcourse jk2 players CANT join acadamy servers becouse of the new stuff. I don't know about Condition Zero, so I won't comment on that. I am a software designer, and from what I can tell about JK3, this would be quite difficult, limiting, and very time consuming. They may use the same engine, but that still means that all the models, physics, controls and so on will be completely different. For JK3 to connect to JO, it would have to have netcode that a JO server understands. Like you say, this means that many of the new JK3 features wouldn't be available. To get all that working, that would be one huge patch. All this creates a few issues:

1. First, and maybe most importantly, Lucasarts loses potential sales of JO (like those "classic" series games), because why buy JO when you can play both with JK3?

2. Why would JK3 players want to "turn off" features? Would anyone want to play JO when they have JK3? If they go out and by a new game, they are going to want to play that game to it's fullest, not strip it down and turn it into a game they have likely been playing for two years.

3. Since the controls, and lightsaber combat in particular, are going to be different, it will be very difficult for these two types of players to play together. What if JK3 has manual blocking? What if JK3 has much better control? One style (likely JK3) will be better, and so JK3 players might have the advantage on JO players. How would JO players like it if JK3 players start invading their servers and owning them?

4. Lucasarts would have to spend a lot of people/money/resources on developing a patch to connect the two. This would ultimately reduce the effort put into JK3, making it less of a game than it could be, and for very little gain. Who wants a crappier JK3?

5. When JK3 comes out, if it lives up to the reasonable expectations, there won't be anyone left playing JO...

Ultimately, having a the same engine means nothing when it comes to having games working together. Otherwise, JO could connect to Quake III! What makes games unique are the resources and logic on top of the engine. From what I've seen JK3 will be quite different from JO, and the two worlds should remain seperate. I mean, look at what happens when RPGers play on FFA servers :)
 Matariel
04-08-2003, 12:35 AM
yeah, no way in hell sorry...waaay too many changes to the engine in particular.
There will most likely be maps from jk2 that have been ported to JA, also models, but both will be modified/upgraded or whatever.

CZ is just a SP game of CS, so thats why they are compatible in multiplayer, all the engine/weapon/gameplay changes they make in CZ, its easy to patch to CS...they simply cant do this for jk2
Page: 1 of 1