Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JA - RPG vs FPS? [warning large pics]

Page: 1 of 1
 KaBuTaR
04-05-2003, 5:14 PM
is it just me or is does JA look more like an RPG from the screenshots we've got so far?

I know it's not, but if you compare these screenshots -

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/images/screens/6.jpg)

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/images/screens/4.jpg)

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/screens/87.jpg)

if you look at the first one - from JA - I could be wrong but the texture/crispness of the lightsaber blade reminds me more of KOTOR sabers or even TPM sabers as opposed to the sharp as heck blade in the third pic from JO.

then... if you look at the middle image... in JO we mostly had first person action, and if using the lightsaber the cam was usually just behind Kyle - I don't own the game but i've played it - and from what i remember we never had side views/far off/high top views like we're getting from the JA pics - those pics remind me of scenes from TPM or KOTOR.

plus... where are the health bars/shield & armor indicators/force meters/etc? i dont see them anywhere... :S

hence my question... is JA a true FPS like JO?
 eastcoast2895
04-05-2003, 5:23 PM
i'm just guessing these are just promotion pics or something like that or they haven't added the hud yet. and about the lightsaber, maybe they are trying to create a unity on how the lightsabers look like from kotor. but i'm assuming JA will be a fps with emphasis on the lightsaber
 KaBuTaR
04-05-2003, 5:56 PM
i hope ur right... :P aside from the HUD though... u're saying the POV's we're getting here are just for promo's sake?

ps.. what do you mean by unity on the lightsaber? :P
 Hekx
04-05-2003, 6:03 PM
The JA screenshots most probably are pre-rendered promo shots. Some of the in-game shots with HUDs will probably be released at a later date. I personally like a little RPG influence on JA, but not too much. The sabres look a lot better, in blur style in the second screenshot, but not up to movie standards. ;)
 Agen
04-05-2003, 6:04 PM
You can take screens without the hud, it's a certain command and the last pic is a pic from well before JK2 came out! lol :D
 KaBuTaR
04-05-2003, 6:07 PM
ah, i get it... so u're saying that it'z gonna be pretty much the same?

actually personally i like the JO sabers better... :P
 Jedi Apprentice
04-05-2003, 7:30 PM
Jedi Academy seems to be a FPS with strong RPG elements. Which seems to be a great combo. :D

It is like an RPG in that you can customize your character and all that, but it will control and fight like a FPS or Third person game.
 legameboy
04-05-2003, 7:40 PM
...which makes a perfect game am i correct?
 eastcoast2895
04-05-2003, 7:54 PM
to me it seem that it's gonna be like jedi knight 1 and freelancer on a modified jedi outcast system. jedi knight 1 had the ability to choose force powers and in the end depending on which force powers were chosen, you were light/dark jedi. freelancer had the ability to choose missions, but certain missions were required and some weren't. i know jedi knight 1 didn't feel very rpg, haven't played freelancer. what i'm really hoping is that it is close to deus ex in customizing character and what mission to do (in deus ex you had to do primary characters, but there were secondary ones that gave you special stuff like ability points or items, maybe the non essential missions will give special force power options) but i want it more action than deus ex, cuz deus ex was half action half exploring and talking. i want it more like action to exploration to be 70:30. oh yeah by unity i meant so that whenever a lightsaber is seen (whether it be two diff games or movie) they look the same, just to make sure everyone understood what i meant.
 Wacky_Baccy
04-05-2003, 8:13 PM
Posted by legameboy
...which makes a perfect game am i correct? In my opinion, yes. :)

Many others seem to disagree, though, so I'm sure it won't suit everyone like JK seemed to, but I still expect it to be good :)
 Taos
04-05-2003, 8:36 PM
I'm pretty interested to see exactly how rpg elements will be incorporated into the game. Since the game is primarily a fps, I hope it's not too many......but it does seem like a good combination - as long as there's not too much rpg. :)
 Emon
04-05-2003, 10:39 PM
It'll probably be like Deus Ex's RPG elements. That game is almost all FPS, the most notable RPG aspects are hubbed levels, more character and environment interaction, and character customization.

If you're worried about inventory issues, don't be. I doubt they will make the world nearly as interactive as Deus Ex, so you won't be able to pick up many items, so you won't need an RPG style inventory.
Page: 1 of 1