Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Star Wars:Jedi Knight:Jedi Academy

Page: 1 of 1
 digl
04-03-2003, 2:11 PM
that's the official name, here's the official announcement and more :D

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/)
 Taos
04-03-2003, 2:16 PM
The title of the game is good.....I'm slowly warming up to it. :) It's a nice site.
 StormHammer
04-03-2003, 2:23 PM
DIGL does it again!! :eek:

Well, done, mate. Thanks for the heads-up. ;)

I'm beginning to suspect you've got a Spybot continually buzzing around Lucasarts HQ... ;p

At least we have some of the other weapons confirmed...

While players will be able to accomplish more by using the lightsaber in Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, they also will have a variety of weapons - new and old - at their disposal including a blaster, blaster rifle, Wookiee bowcaster, Imperial repeater, and a Destructive Electro-Magnetic Pulse gun.

...from the official Press release. :)
 Wacky_Baccy
04-03-2003, 2:38 PM
Posted by Stormy
DIGL does it again!! :eek:

Well, done, mate. Thanks for the heads-up. ;)

I'm beginning to suspect you've got a Spybot continually buzzing around Lucasarts HQ... ;pWhat he said! :D

I'll beat you one day digl, I swear :D ;)

*runs off to explore the new site*
 Rat Boy
04-03-2003, 2:45 PM
Hmmm, does this mean there are going to be two Jedi Knight product lines?
 CanadianSurfer
04-03-2003, 2:45 PM
Wahhhhhh, cry.
 Jeff 42
04-03-2003, 2:55 PM
Anyone else notice that the title bar for the site says "Star Wars Jedi Knight: A Jedi's Legacy"? It seems like they might have been in a rush to get the site put up.
 Wacky_Baccy
04-03-2003, 3:08 PM
Posted by Rat Boy
Hmmm, does this mean there are going to be two Jedi Knight product lines? Doubt it - Kyle seems to be effectively retiring from the mainstream Jedi action in this one, so I expect the series will evolve along this "make your own character" route... :)
Posted by Jeff 42
Anyone else notice that the title bar for the site says "Star Wars Jedi Knight: A Jedi's Legacy"? It seems like they might have been in a rush to get the site put up. Intriguing... I wonder...
 The_One
04-03-2003, 3:27 PM
Please bring back the Concussion Rifle - one of my favourite guns, which was ommitted from JKII.

I knew this wasn't the full blown JKIII ;) I think it's likely JKIII will be on the Doom 3 engine if/when it comes...
 OnlyOneCanoli
04-03-2003, 3:37 PM
Back to your old tricks, digl?

Interesting that they omitted the the '3' from the title. I suppose because the '3' would imply the further adventures of Kyle, which this is not.
 Rat Boy
04-03-2003, 3:43 PM
I'm surprised nobody has zeroed in on this piece of concept art with, of all things, pants!

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/images/concepts/1.jpg)

The pants is strong in this game.
 Wacky_Baccy
04-03-2003, 3:53 PM
Posted by Rat Boy
I'm surprised nobody has zeroed in on this piece of concept art with, of all things, pants!

The pants is strong in this game. ROFL

Oh dear lord, not that again! :D

*fondly remembers his SW Pants thread from before the last release...*

Ahh, memories :) :D
 digl
04-03-2003, 4:05 PM
hehe
probably new people didn't understand what stormy wacky and canoli said ;)
i couldn't come back without good news threads ;)

about the "3" thing, Changkhan posted that he thinks they may do a jk3 later, based on Kyle's son
 Krayt Tion
04-03-2003, 4:17 PM
Interesting to note that this game is being released on the Xbox as well.

Hopefully the PC version will be given priority and released first like last time. If they are released at the same time it is likley that Raven made sacrifices in the general design or features department to ensure playbility on the console.
 Rat Boy
04-03-2003, 4:17 PM
Why don't they make it interesting and make it Kyle's daughter?
 StormHammer
04-03-2003, 4:25 PM
Originally posted by digl
about the "3" thing, Changkhan posted that he thinks they may do a jk3 later, based on Kyle's son

Yeah, maybe. Mind you, if they can do that...then they can technically continue the Dark Forces series too, IMHO.

I'm still waiting for them to decide to make a PC Bounty Hunter or Commando game...no Force powers, just running and gunning action...

Hi Krayt. *waves* Good to see you around. ;)
 Prime
04-03-2003, 4:32 PM
Originally posted by Rat Boy

The pants is strong in this game. There better be an option that allows me not to wear any pants.
 The_One
04-03-2003, 5:23 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Yeah, maybe. Mind you, if they can do that...then they can technically continue the Dark Forces series too, IMHO.

I'm still waiting for them to decide to make a PC Bounty Hunter or Commando game...no Force powers, just running and gunning action...

Hi Krayt. *waves* Good to see you around. ;)

Yeah, it would be nice to be the bad guy for once. How about a Dark Forces prequel? You get to be Kyle running missions for the Empire, then part way through you realise they murdered your father - you then hook up with Jan, and start running missions for the Rebels, leading nicely into Dark Forces 1...

Now there's an idea ;)
 StormHammer
04-03-2003, 5:46 PM
Originally posted by The_One
Yeah, it would be nice to be the bad guy for once. How about a Dark Forces prequel? You get to be Kyle running missions for the Empire, then part way through you realise they murdered your father - you then hook up with Jan, and start running missions for the Rebels, leading nicely into Dark Forces 1...

Now there's an idea ;)

Now that is an excellent idea. :thumbsup: And if they don't make a proper game of it...maybe another Mod? :D I don't know if you could use the book Soldier For The Empire as a basis...but I'm sure we could come up with a decent plot ourselves. ;)
 digl
04-03-2003, 6:51 PM
You remind me of the threads at owk.net, pages and pages about the hypotetical BH FPS game...

It may be done someday, it would be great

Rat Boy, chang talked about a game that may eventually be done in the future...it's note like the story is defined already.Complaining about the NEXT jk game is a bit too much...
 -=DarkZero=-
04-03-2003, 7:56 PM
SIMPLEY AMAZING!
Bleh I love star wars,the more games that comes out the closer I am to going further into insainty and lonelyness and isolation and....Theres nothing wrong with me..Jedi acadamy looks sweet seriously thumbs up for findin the site on lucas arts lol id never think of lookin there
 CanadianSurfer
04-03-2003, 8:15 PM
Please bring back the Concussion Rifle - one of my favourite guns, which was ommitted from JKII.

I knew this wasn't the full blown JKIII ;) I think it's likely JKIII will be on the Doom 3 engine if/when it comes...

Doom 3 isn't coming out for a long, long, time. If/When it did, I doubt JK3 would be using it just because the close combat of it isn't the best. And JK3 is going to be mainly sabers.
 DeTRiTiC-iQ
04-03-2003, 8:35 PM
says who? If JK3 turns out to be part of the Dark Forces series as opposed to Jedi Academy, then surely its likely that guns will play a larger role?
 Tesla
04-03-2003, 10:34 PM
It's true jk3 is go, it's gonna be called:-
Star Wars Jedi Knight:-Jedi Acadamy
here's the offical web page
Jedi Knight-Jedi Acadamy (http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy) :cool:
:)yes i'm so happy now!!:)
 ^_-
04-03-2003, 11:50 PM
 Boba Rhett
04-04-2003, 12:07 AM
I think you forgot to jump into your Way-Back machine before posting this. :D
 StormHammer
04-04-2003, 5:07 AM
Awww...never) mind. Easy mistook for a new member.

Welcome to the forums. Have a chocolate Jedi Medallion to hide your embarassment... :D

http://www.storm.hammer.btinternet.co.uk/jedimedal2.gif)

Rhett...where's your darned welcome basket?

shame on you :tsk:
 StormHammer
04-04-2003, 5:29 AM
Hey, I just looked at the official site again, and noticed this...

Unique tiered level selection allows players to choose their adventure and the missions they take based on the skills they need to become the ultimate Jedi Knight.

Okay...we all know you'll be able to choose missions pretty much at random, but what does it mean by being 'based on the skills they need to become the ultimate Jedi Knight'?

That seems to infer that certain missions will either allow you to unlock certain abilities...or you will need certain abilities in order to play a particular mission. What's other people's take on this? :eyeraise:
 The_One
04-04-2003, 6:39 AM
Going back off topic again...

I'd really be up for modding a DF prequel after I'm through with the Dark Forces MOD. I'm sure many members of the DF team would be up for it too - and we could all put our heads together and come up with a decent storyline ;)

I'm really excited now :p

Okay...we all know you'll be able to choose missions pretty much at random, but what does it mean by being 'based on the skills they need to become the ultimate Jedi Knight'?

That seems to infer that certain missions will either allow you to unlock certain abilities...or you will need certain abilities in order to play a particular mission. What's other people's take on this?

It is my experience that you should never read into these things too much, and wait for an explanation instead. As someone else mentioned, the site seemed to have been put together in a hurry - that much is evident, just look at the title bar, some of the paragraphing and grammar. To be honest 'based on the skills they need to become the ultimate Jedi Knight' doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. Just wait for an in depth preview in a magazine, that's where I get most of my information ;)
 T-Dogg
04-04-2003, 6:48 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer

That seems to infer that certain missions will either allow you to unlock certain abilities...or you will need certain abilities in order to play a particular mission. What's other people's take on this? :eyeraise:

I think it means that in a certain mission you can't advance unless you have level x push or jump or whatnot. At least I hope that's what it means. The idea of having a force power as a "reward" in the end of missions just basically irks me, like "to gain Force Push, you must beat this mission." That wouldn't make sense to me.
 Wacky_Baccy
04-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Posted by StormHammer
That seems to infer that certain missions will either allow you to unlock certain abilities...or you will need certain abilities in order to play a particular mission. What's other people's take on this? :eyeraise: I'd somehow missed that bit on the main site... Bit of info you may not have seen from this GameSpot article (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/jediacademy/news_6024571.html) -In addition, players can even customize their lightsabers by selecting a specific hilt and blade color--though additional types of lightsabers, including the popular dual-blade lightsaber, will have to be unlocked by progressing through the game....So it seems we'll have to sing for our sabers :D
 T-Dogg
04-04-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy
...So it seems we'll have to sing for our sabers :D

Well, obviously. It wouldn't make much sense if you could have ALL the sabers right away now would it? I took it for granted that you start out with one saber, and as you hone your skills and become a more skillful Jedi, you get another one and eventually the staff. (The staff could also come before the other saber. After all, who am I to tell? I ain't the one making the game.)
 Rat Boy
04-04-2003, 12:19 PM
...So it seems we'll have to sing for our sabers :D

Singing? What is this, Dance Dance Rebellion?

Yub yub!
 StormHammer
04-04-2003, 12:57 PM
It is my experience that you should never read into these things too much, and wait for an explanation instead. As someone else mentioned, the site seemed to have been put together in a hurry - that much is evident, just look at the title bar, some of the paragraphing and grammar. To be honest 'based on the skills they need to become the ultimate Jedi Knight' doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. Just wait for an in depth preview in a magazine, that's where I get most of my information ;)

Yes, you're probably right. :) Some things did change from the early info on JK2 to the time it was released, so this will probably be no exception.

Having said that...I wouldn't mind at all if playing certain missions unlocked certain powers...because then it would mean you could play in a different way and get X, Y, Z powers early on the next time around, which would mean you would have to change your strategies in other levels.

Wacky...I already read that bit about the lightsabers...but this seems to be talking about Force powers - unless there are actual skills in the game that we don't know about. :eek:
 Wacky_Baccy
04-04-2003, 1:26 PM
Posted by Rat Boy
Singing? What is this, Dance Dance Rebellion?ROFL. :D

The idea of a respectable Jedi doing DDR... lmfao :lol:
Posted by StormHammer
Yes, you're probably right. :) Some things did change from the early info on JK2 to the time it was released, so this will probably be no exception.Early on?! Good god man, it's sixty percent done!! :eek: :D

Sorry, bit hyper about it... =D
Having said that...I wouldn't mind at all if playing certain missions unlocked certain powers...because then it would mean you could play in a different way and get X, Y, Z powers early on the next time around, which would mean you would have to change your strategies in other levels.That would increase replayability exponentially :eek:

I have a sneaking suspicion that may be how they've done/are doing it, too... o.o
Wacky...I already read that bit about the lightsabers...but this seems to be talking about Force powers - unless there are actual skills in the game that we don't know about. :eek:I reckon there just might be :D

This is going to be a very interesting development for the series, whichever way it pans out... I can't wait for more info :D
 The_One
04-04-2003, 4:40 PM
Is it just me, or is it getting like the old days again? When we were anticipating JKII, and having a right laugh at the same time. Since JKIII/Jedi Academy popped up the fun seems to be back again, let's keep it this way :)

Didn't you ever play those JK levels Empire and Rebel Nightclub? Ah, those were the days...
 Rat Boy
04-04-2003, 6:07 PM
Heck, I'm back. I dissappeared right after "The Ladder" came out...
Now there's an idea. Imagine playing a new Ladder in JA with dual lightsabers.
 Wacky_Baccy
04-04-2003, 6:16 PM
Posted by The_One
Is it just me, or is it getting like the old days again?Not just you :D

(IIRC, you're ed_silvergun's brother, right? Whatever happened to him? He never made his return after the globetrotting trip... :()
When we were anticipating JKII, and having a right laugh at the same time. Since JKIII/Jedi Academy popped up the fun seems to be back again, let's keep it this way :)I'll certainly try to do my part to keep it this way :) :D
 The_One
04-05-2003, 8:36 AM
you're [b]ed_silvergun's brother, right? Whatever happened to him? He never made his return after the globetrotting trip... :()

He's sitting in the room next door to me ;)

I'll try and convince him to come back, and get posting again. We need a force long post from someone - now there's something I haven't seen in a long time. I used to lurk over at Obi Wan for ages, I only joined here about a year ago, ironically that's just about when it all went to hell :p
 Wacky_Baccy
04-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Posted by The_One
He's sitting in the room next door to me ;)

I'll try and convince him to come back, and get posting again.Yay! :D

There are quite a few oldbies crawling out of the woodwork of late - it'd be great to have him back :D

We need a force long post from someone - now there's something I haven't seen in a long time.Well, Stormy and Kurgan are about again, so we might well see a good one before long :D

I used to lurk over at Obi Wan for ages, I only joined here about a year ago, ironically that's just about when it all went to hell :p LOL

I can only feel sorry for you - it was awesome up until then, but it (naturally) when downhill like a lemming off a cliff :(

I hope it's a bit better this time... If we can get more oldbies back, it might just cow the newbs into submission, and stop at least some of the whining that we had last time from recurring :D
 The_One
04-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Game forums always go to hell the minute the game is released. You get a ton of people logging on to complain about something or other - usually "w00t. multlipayerr is f00kzed, my beard is Wr0ng! teh n00 patch sucks0Rs".

The fun is in waiting for the game ;) I've seen it happen on a load of other forums too.
 Wacky_Baccy
04-05-2003, 1:14 PM
I know, I know :(

You wouldn't deny me my dreams though, would you? :p :D

I just hope it's not as nasty and vicious as it was last time... People can be truly horrible at times :disaprove
Page: 1 of 1