Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

MotF R3 Beta 3 Released

Page: 1 of 1
 razorace
04-02-2003, 10:51 PM
Ok, the MotF Team has decided to go with semi-open betas.

The plan was to have BOFH host a server but I think he's backed out with his lack of communication.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in hosting a dedicated server. Please let us know.

The Major Changes from R2 to R3 B3:

1. Prototype of the ghoul2 blade collisions. The system is basically in place but there seems to be problem with teh animations not matching server to client. This results in a little bit of saber passthru but it's still vastly better to basejk2.

2. Fixed the ghoul2 hitzone bug that causes a bunch of error messages to happen at random (and fixed the hitzone detection for those sutuations).

3. Removed the auto block for the saber attacks. This is a temp. measure (for debugger) til we redo the saber system internals more. Basically, to block a saber you now have to block it with your saber instead of just stand there.

4. Saber passthru - your saber can now hit multiple people at the same time. This also improved the saber collisions a bit. (A saber used to total block saber eventhou the attacker's blade was in the defender's gut.)

The Beta links are here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95963)
 Psynex
04-04-2003, 10:03 AM
I kind of like the idea of no auto-blocking. Maybe you could keep that as a server option? Also, is there anything that can be done about movement and saber attacking? I think that (especially when using Red stance) that the player move around way too much. I'll go to do a low sweep attack using down-right and walk out of range. It would be interesting if when you were "in range" of an opponent you kind of froze to the ground only allowing saber movement with the move keys. If you wanted to break away you could double tap a direction and start walking that way. While locked a roll could be performed by pressing roll once and will keep your opponent targeted (Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker) and holding a directions and double tapping roll will do a break away roll (or even reverse those two buttons; that might be easier on the fingers).

What do you think about that kind of a saber battle system?
 razorace
04-04-2003, 2:43 PM
ztargeting is going in here, the rest of the stuff isn't.

You don't have enough control to be abloe to fight like a jedi with 100% no autoblock.
 Psynex
04-05-2003, 10:53 AM
I was playing some more MotF last night and I stand by you on that 100% no blocking thing because I was trying my damndest to block manually and it was tough, but I think I got better at sabering because of it.
It's good to hear that z-targeting will be included. I'm going to take another stab at zero-autoblocking tonight with beta 3. Would you still consider it zero-autoblocking because your team implimented auto-dodge?
 razorace
04-05-2003, 2:24 PM
We will see. I'll probably keep it disabled up to the point where we've got the new stuff mostly in place. If it turns out that it's ok to have no autoblocking, we'll just leave it out.
 BloodRiot
04-06-2003, 12:59 AM
Razor... i'm afraid your mod has proven itself to be quite umplayable on my machine...I say my machine cuz i think it's a bug manifesting on my machine for some forsaken reason... the trueview in this case... i mean.. you know those fish lens effect?.. well i see everything through fishlens... dunno why... i get nauseous playing like this. Plus it's REALLY FAST.. or looks that way anyhow.

Is it supposed to look like this? i hope not.. i've been playing your mod before the true view and i was adoring it. Something is really messed up thats fer sure ;p

Well... i think it has to do with the FOV since everything distorts towards the peripheral vision... to the center everything looks very very far away and small, when i change to 3rd person the character is farther away than he should be.

You know anything bout this?

Cheers
 razorace
04-06-2003, 3:41 AM
Your fov probably got screwed up for some reason. Use cg_fov to fix it. It should be in the 80-90 range normally.
 BloodRiot
04-06-2003, 7:39 PM
Yup... that fixed it... thx.

Still it's hard to master playing like this.. gotta practice ;)
 razorace
04-06-2003, 9:04 PM
Yeah. The main problem I have with it is that it doesn't seem to have enough eye range and turning up the fov just makes everything fish eyed. Maybe we'll think of something. :)
 Psynex
04-08-2003, 4:14 PM
Rozorace: I just finished playing beta 3 and no-autoblocking isn't that bad because you have doge in there. Although, in a complete FFA, you would need autoblocking to defend yourself against saber blasts. One thing I noticed is that both beta 2 and three seem to have issues with spin swings. The blad passes right through the opponent 9 times out of 10 and does nothing (in yellow stance; blue isn't that bad). Is it because there is a hit detection problem, or is it that there dodging and the effect of the dodge isn't showing?
 razorace
04-08-2003, 4:20 PM
It's a problem with the basejk2 animation system. The server side code doesn't run the same animation speed adjuster that the client does. I'm working on a fix.
 BloodRiot
04-09-2003, 10:16 AM
Razor... i think tunrning down the walking speed would smooth things up... i mean... it's easier to follow your opponent. Most FPS's have turbo speeds for the sake of gameplay, but your mod could use exactly the opposite.

I'd sugest the following:
* turn down walk/run speed to match real life speed.
* use walk (as opposed to always run option) as default
* besides the run key, add a toggle run key so that you may run for extended ammounts of time without having to keep the run key pressed.

Also... when you do those swings that make the body rotate 360 degrees, try to make the camera turn slower as well withthe jump filps cuz you can really loose your north there... too fast if compared to what we see in the 3rd person view(i might be wrong on this one but it's still a fact that it turns too fast)... right now it's almost like you start and immediatly you are on the end of the spin without passing through the rest of the spin. The case in wich i think it's less troublesome is the back roll... the jump flips are crazy fast as well.

just keeping my post simple.. in my opinion.. it's mostly a speed issue. Try turning it down and i'm sure the results will be better.

Cheers.
 razorace
04-09-2003, 3:12 PM
Yeah, we're going to tear up the movement stuff eventually
 Lord Infamous
04-11-2003, 12:52 AM
Very nice mod razorace, just reinstalled jk2 on my pc after a long break (its been months since ive played it) and the saber gameplay you got going is the most fun and realistic ive played in jk2 yet. Btw, i was wondering if you could create and option to hide the shield,(i find it very cheezy) i have seen it done in various other mods
 razorace
04-11-2003, 1:34 AM
We'll get to it eventually. I'm the only real coder on the mod at this point so everything comes down to priorties. :)
 zERoCooL2479
04-12-2003, 4:31 PM
I Like, I Like, I Like...thanks razorace
 razorace
04-13-2003, 6:58 PM
You're welcome.
Page: 1 of 1