Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Unofficial Soundtrack - My Opinion

Page: 1 of 1
 Master Toddy
02-20-2003, 1:32 AM
I've been listening to the Unofficial Soundtrack that was releasd on the new site for a little bit. I haven't listened to it all, but here's my opinion of it so far: it's pretty decent. I like how he uses the original theme and does a pretty flawless transfer into the opening from the game. My one complaint is that the brass is way to quiet for my taste and the strings are too loud. The brass/winds in this game should be overpowering, especially when the force theme is heard on the fourth track (the launch of the dark troopers) or the low brass that you hear on the opening theme. Ohter than that it's decent, though I wouldn't mind if he completed the tracks instead of abruptly cutting them off - it'd sound nicer since it wasn't going to be used in the game. Anywho, that's just my opinion - I'm not trying to tell him to redo it or anything like that, if he likes it how it is, that's fine with me. It's a pretty good soundtrack and definitely better than the original game's .mus soundtrack. It's too bad music has been placed in the back seat when it comes to most modern games - some of the classic games have soundtracks that are as memorable as movie soundtracks (Dark Forces, Tie Fighter, Doom, Duke Nukem 3d) - they proved that you don't have to have an orchestra to have a good soundtrack.
 Lundquist
02-20-2003, 4:11 AM
Critique like this I can use, it was only version 1, so I'll take all the critique I get, and use it for the next version. I had NO idea how many people would download it, so I DID cut a few corners (like ending a few tracks prematurely) but now I know - so hopefully the next version will sound better.
 Rad Blackrose
02-20-2003, 8:17 PM
I also have to agree with the brass/winds being less emphasized overall. It is what gives the game's music its life.

I'm listening to the opening of the Arc Hammer's music, and I remember that opening piece pretty well. And the one thing I do remember that is not in that beginning piece is the the fluency of the brass. I remember it fluently changing notes, not having a few pauses with changing notes... It gets better later on though.

More to come later.

EDIT: If you want to know what I mean, listen to track two and compare to track 18.
Page: 1 of 1