Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dark Forces Critique

Page: 1 of 1
 n2180vw
02-06-2003, 6:27 PM
I just recently played Dark Forces mod for JKII:Outcast

Now I'm not downing anyone that has part in making it I just want to help make it better.

Yeah the game play was really fun. The blaster could hit something that was in front of me for once. There blaster is much better then the one in the current game. Although with the current advancement with the new Quake III engine I thought I would see better textures improved level design. Well Although I don't know what kind of style the group is going for. I would just like to say that the texture quality is poor. It almost looks like they were ripped from the game. I would have been happy to see the current textures used instead. Or even remade textures.

In the secret area was even worse inside in the main room. Too many solid colors. You need to ad some dirt and chips to the paint. It would look much better.

If I was modeling the level then I would have added some more complex shapes to it. I didn't even know where the camera monitor was until I was found it looking for the secert.

The music quility could be updated. Yeah its cool they are using the orignal but (we have the technology we can make it better)

Well anyways overall good job but please you can do better then what the orignal was.

P.S. To the people working on it. I would be happy to work on this project once I'm finish with school in May.
 Katarn07
02-06-2003, 7:07 PM
Welcome to LF.

Textures were redone, there buddy. Check out the site to see original, processed, and redone textures...

There is a thread about detail floating about with the same suggestions in it, so you won't go unheard. I like the music. Why doesn't anyone else besides Lundiquist and me like it?

Hey, The_One, you should posty a poll: Do you like the music? Yes, No, Its OK...

Don't change it according to the results though. I'd like to know.
 MilesTeg
02-06-2003, 8:38 PM
Hi n2180vw!

Welcome to our forums. :)
Iґm the mapper of the secret base map and although we already discussed most of your arguements several times on this board I will give you a short summary:

textures
faq:
"Are you re-creating all the textures from the original game? -

Yes, we are - all 800+ textures are being re-created in high resolution with shaders (for any texture that should emit light), added details and, in some cases, animations! "

we decided to recreate the original textures because of the following advances:
- it looks much more like the original df
- we wonґt have any copyright issues with LEC
- much better than the df originals, and good enough for usual q3 graphics! (we compared it...)
- we can use df editing programs and the df filenames to keep the management of all those textures under control

btw: turn of compressed textures - this improves image quality a lot!

map detail:
primary goal of the demo was a working level with nearly perfect texture allignment, working shaders, enemy KI/scripts, Crow roof animation etc.
So there was no time at the end for details (such as the camera monitor texture, inner base details).
faq: This is just a taster of what is to come.

music:
there will be a new, seperate df fan soundtrack from Lundiquist available with the next hp update (with high quality instruments).
Itґs a standalone project but we are allowed to host the files.
 Jeff 42
02-06-2003, 8:44 PM
I like the music! :)
 n2180vw
02-06-2003, 10:04 PM
I'm not saying I hate it. I just thought it would look better thats all. Once I'm done school I'll have more time to play with radiant. I wouldn't mind doing a newer version of one of the maps. If you want me to show you what I mean I'll redo a texture and e-mail it too you if you want too. that I can do.
 MilesTeg
02-07-2003, 6:59 AM
sure, we are always interested in talented people.

If you think you can do much better weґll maybe consider some replacements. Itґs also a question of how it fits with the other textures of the level.
 Darth_Linux
02-08-2003, 7:06 PM
aer you sure you have your texture detail set to "very high" - anything less and you are missing out. please enable the detail shader setting as well. You may be embarassed to find that it was your game settings that made it look bad and not our artwork . . .
 n2180vw
02-08-2003, 10:17 PM
I had the mother decked out on 32 bit and 1024x 720 very high texture res and so on. I've got a 1.9 intel with 512 ram geforce 3 video card and so on. She was smoking!

You know the texture on the secret area with the imperial symbol, the door. Send me your sample and I'll show you what I mean. I'll also send you a pic on what I'm working on for school. Deal?

I just want to help you guys, I'm not bitching.

(when I get done with school I'll be able to get a really bitchin rock texture for you guys.)
 Salv
02-09-2003, 5:46 AM
If you say so bitch :p

EDIT - Salv, manners please - this is pushing it.
 Ravensroke
02-09-2003, 5:41 PM
Hehe, well I have a beast that does JO at 2400x600 =)
 Lundquist
02-11-2003, 9:04 AM
odd resolution... must make some long pixels :) j/k
My monitor can't handle more than 1280x1024 - but that is also WAY good enough for me.

I love the music - nostalgia is such a nice feeling.
 Algardex
02-11-2003, 4:48 PM
Eh? Both the music and the textures were awsome.Something is wrong here.
 Ravensroke
02-12-2003, 12:20 AM
Lundquist: 3 monitors and surround gaming. Technology at its best.
 Darth NeoVenom
02-13-2003, 6:56 PM
I just recently downloaded the Dark Forces Mod for Jedi Outcast and I think the demo rocked. I can't wait until the whole game comes out. :D :saberr: :dmaul3: :sprobe: :sithm: :holosid:
 Emon
02-14-2003, 11:17 PM
The texture quality is excellent, they are on par with the game's original textures. They are identicle to DF's only higher resolution. Turning off texture compression reduces detail.
 The_One
02-16-2003, 7:08 AM
Originally posted by Emon
The texture quality is excellent, they are on par with the game's original textures. They are identicle to DF's only higher resolution. Turning off texture compression reduces detail.

Yeah, a hell of a lot of work went into re-creating those textures.
 Geoffrey S
02-16-2003, 3:54 PM
And trust me, it shows. The recreated textures are easily the best and most professional thing about the Mod.
Page: 1 of 1