Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

idea for talay(may be too over the top)

Page: 1 of 1
 xcountryman03
01-17-2003, 12:47 AM
Okay, first off, how many people have seen Event Horizon? If so you might have an idea what i'm about to say. Well in the beginning they're exploring the ship and as the girl walks though the control center its really dark. A light sputters on and off in the back ground, in a dark area. the camera focuses in on there and there's all this blood all over the place. Is there some way you could incorperate this into the map? It might be a little to gruesome but i juist thought i'd post it as an idea.
 Katarn07
01-17-2003, 9:27 AM
This may be the darkness in Dark Forces that LEC didn't add. This level must be made into a creepy ghost town, pretty much, with dead bodies (charred and decapitated) laying around. (Phase I Darktroopers might have been down there as well to cut limbs off some people). I think the Mon Calamari (the guy in the cutscene prior to the level) leader's head would look kind of "cool" a couple feet away from his body with blood splattered on the wall. It should be in the room where your main objective is. I think that is gross, but it will freak out some players.

I like the flashing light idea, however, you must choose which area to do it in, because if you remember, it was pitch black in the place because the generators were taken out. Maybe after restoring power, some rooms can be dimmer than others, some bright, and some with flickering lights with wires hanging down from the ceiling with sparks coming from their raw ends.

The whole blood thing might be a bit graphic, but this level must be dark to show the player just what exactly the Darktrooper is capable of...

*** I remember the author a long time ago saying he'd be adding TIEs flying overhead. I think this is very good for this level. And I just learned about a bar being in this level. Some glasses on the counter may be neat, and maybe some cantina music in there after restoring the power, if possible???

****** Other levels that need to be upped in scariness are Nar Shaddaa and Ergo. Make it really gang infested. I want to see neon lights and ads like in AotC, as also seen in Sine Normen's project...
 xcountryman03
01-18-2003, 12:45 AM
ooo! and in the bar some glasses should be knocked over and dripping off the table. I was thinking the flasking light in that bac room of the bar- the one that goes nowhere. But i fully agree with Katarn on this level showing the capabilities of the dark trooper. Use the new engine as much as possible to add the ambiance. This may be a stretch and i'm sure manyt people won't agree with it, but this level should make scared of what they think is there rather than what actually is, kinda like the dianogas but less so (or more depending on how you look at it) I think this level has A LOT of possibility.
 JorBo
01-18-2003, 1:41 AM
Good ideas. I'll see what I can do to make the level more creepy.
 Darth_Linux
01-18-2003, 3:23 AM
anyone play the original system shock game?
 Katarn07
01-18-2003, 11:35 AM
No, can't say I have.

I agree, this level needs to have ambience that will scare the players. Can we have some dead bodies afloat in the water, or not?
 xcountryman03
01-18-2003, 2:54 PM
i haven't but i heard its scary and thats what i was thinking talay should be like
 MilesTeg
01-18-2003, 10:06 PM
chances for moving bodies over the water : 0,1%

there are some methods, but havenґt to do anything with the physics engine and it wouldnґt look good.
 JorBo
01-18-2003, 10:36 PM
That wouldn't stop us from having a body floating in a still pool of water though. :)
 xcountryman03
01-18-2003, 11:34 PM
thatd be better than the river. scarier
 Emon
02-03-2003, 10:39 PM
You could make moving bodies, easy. Make them func_trains that move real slow, with their last point connected to a point on top of it, so it stays stationary. This would of course be at the end of the stream or river. You could also make them bob up and down with some trickier path positioning.
 Salv
02-04-2003, 4:04 AM
That sounds good..
Maybe some flickering lights, that adds atmosphere too..
 Ravensroke
02-04-2003, 10:57 PM
Hmmmm.... There wouldn't be any bodies in the river, they'd have washed downstream. What would be cool is to have a few bodies bobbing up and down jammed in the gratings.
 Emon
02-05-2003, 11:49 PM
Ravenstroke, that would work. With some tricky tricks you could have a guy half in the water half on land, with his legs bobbing in the water. :)
 StormHammer
02-21-2003, 9:09 PM
Heh...I love some of these ideas.

Here's another...now it could be argued that a Stormtrooper has night-vision built into their helmet visors...but something that bugged me about Talay was the fact that there are officers basically standing around in the dark as well... Do these guys have infra-red contact-lenses or something?

Now, wouldn't it make more sense if officers had a portable light in their vicinity? Even a dim one? I don't know, that's always sort of bugged me...

Anyway, taking that notion a step further, it's a ripe opportunity to add a Stormtrooper conversation along the lines of...

"Why do the officers always get the lights?"

"Why, is your light-amp on the blink again?"

"No."

"Then quit griping...at least it's quiet out here...hey, I think I can see the star where my home is..."

"You say that on every planet where we land..."

Then you get to blast them...

Just a thought.
 Emon
02-21-2003, 10:16 PM
Might be possible with the misc_dlight, SH. Coding a version that attaches to entities shouldn't be hard.

Since the team is using the MP code, it might be fairly easy to incorporate a true stealth mode. Most efficient way, if possible, would be to get data from the surrounding lightmaps, make an average of all the light and dark on surrounding luxels and adjust NPC view range accordingly. Might not be possible without engine modifications, though. One method that would work would be brushes that are func_static or something, and have that trigger that changes crap when the player's inside of it. Use something like that to adjust visibility of NPCs when in dark areas.
 Ravensroke
02-22-2003, 6:36 PM
Actually, what I meant Emon was that in several parts of the level there are bars in the river, that could be what holds the bodies, while they gruesomely go up and down.

My point was that the current would jam all the bodies in those places. (Though your idea is really cool too. =)
 ImmolatedYoda
02-23-2003, 2:34 PM
yeah, floating bodies and stuff would add a nice touch. :p
 Emon
02-23-2003, 3:54 PM
I know what you meant, I was just adding on.
Page: 1 of 1