Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Matt-Liell's Legolas Model

Page: 2 of 5
 El Sitherino
01-08-2003, 6:50 PM
i talked to him he said he will when after he gets my models ingame. and if noone has gotten legolas ingame for you by the time hes done.
 Matt-Liell
01-08-2003, 6:57 PM
Thanks that takes a load of my back!
 El Sitherino
01-08-2003, 7:01 PM
yeah no problem. i love legolas and cant wait for him to get ingame.
 Duncan_10158
01-08-2003, 7:11 PM
Matt-Liell, you ask if somebody could bring your model in game, let me explain why everyone, myself included, is a bit scared of doing that for you. bring in game means to, first correct the proportion to the raven skeleton, then making the skinmaps, adding all bolts and caps and finaly to weight every vert of the model. the more detailed a model is the more difficult and time taking work it is. and your model is very difficult, as everyone can see. so let me asume that bring you model good looking in game is a extremly difficult and to be honest very boring work.

i wish i could help you with that, but i have my own projects in work and legolas would take weeks to bring in game that detaild it is.
 morphius_doh
01-11-2003, 6:13 PM
There is another thing that I noticed about the face and that is: The lower part of the face is too long and slender. Orlando Bloom's (Legolas) jaw is shorter and more rounded.
 Matt-Liell
01-11-2003, 7:08 PM
I've got a close up pic of Legolas and it matches almost perfectly now!
 Matt-Liell
01-12-2003, 9:38 AM
Alright I know somone with 3DSM and he may be able to help me, all I need is a list and links of the plugins and files we'll need to get, and also any steps I'll need to take! HELP!
 Matt-Liell
01-12-2003, 6:39 PM
Never mind, I got the info I needed and it looks like my friend can help me by letting me use his 3DSM so Legolas isn't dead anymore!
 El Sitherino
01-12-2003, 6:48 PM
yay thats good news matt.*phew*
 Matt-Liell
01-12-2003, 6:55 PM
Ya it is to me too!:D It will probably take awhile to get it ingame though, being my first time doing it but I'll do the best I can!

Oh and here is a little poll for you guys!:

What skins should I make for it?

A: (Origianl Idea) Legolas Default, Red an Blue skins. And a Mordor Elf.

B: Same as above but instead of the Mordor Elf a skin of an Elf from my story I'm making.

C: All of em'!

So what'll it be guys?
 El Sitherino
01-12-2003, 7:00 PM
C
 Matt-Liell
01-12-2003, 7:36 PM
Alright thats a C! C is in the lead!
 Hellfire Jedi
01-12-2003, 8:17 PM
A
 morphius_doh
01-12-2003, 8:25 PM
A
 Matt-Liell
01-12-2003, 8:29 PM
Thats what I want to do too, it's less work for me and it would be the best of the skins so I think I'm going to do A.
 Eldritch
01-12-2003, 8:36 PM
Going with the crowd favorite... A for me as well.
 El Sitherino
01-12-2003, 9:01 PM
I change to A and yeah. plus that makes you clear for doin the mandos right?
 Kain
01-12-2003, 10:29 PM
D: Legolas Rohan armor :D

A
 boinga1
01-12-2003, 10:59 PM
I don't really care as long as we get legolas default and team colors.
 Matt-Liell
01-13-2003, 3:24 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
plus that makes you clear for doin the mandos right? I'm sorry Isanesith but it would be hard to do that. I have many things to do and am very busy, Legolas alone is enough for me right now, I had to drop many projects in order to make him. Now I'm only 80% sure but I don't think I'll be able to do it. Sorry friend but its just like that sometimes. I'm sure another skinner will be enthusiastic to take on this task.:(
 Lord Tnuc
01-13-2003, 3:30 PM
Originally posted by Matt-Liell
I'm sorry Isanesith but it would be hard to do that. I have many things to do and am very busy, Legolas alone is enough for me right now, I had to drop many projects in order to make him. Now I'm only 80% sure but I don't think I'll be able to do it. Sorry friend but its just like that sometimes. I'm sure another skinner will be enthusiastic to take on this task.:(

Aww...I was really hoping for those mandos...:(
 Matt-Liell
01-13-2003, 5:20 PM
Just a question for ya!

I imported the XSI for the raven mesh and i got this:
www.geocities.com/yaduskins/xsi.html)

Is this what its supposed to look like? If so how do I get my model on it? It looks strange to me!
 Psyk0Sith
01-14-2003, 1:31 AM
when you import, check the anims box (to the right i think), i'm doing this from memory so i dont remember the exact option.

You'll know you did it right when everything is at the same floor level and the legs wont stick out in front of him.

Let me know if you need more precise info.
 Matt-Liell
01-14-2003, 6:00 PM
How do I get the .XSI through carcass?
 Jo
01-14-2003, 9:48 PM
dont know the answer to above but, A is my choice, and its looking great legolas..keep it up
 Matt-Liell
01-15-2003, 5:01 PM
When we brought him into 3DSM there were some problems so I spent some time remodeling some parts but here is an update, he is only flat shaded right now:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/mattliell/Wipmlegolas.jpg)

I'm having some problems getting the root XSI to work. When it loads the skeleton is all deformed, now if I get a working skeleton I could get him to fit on it but right now I can't, could anybody help me? Another option would be for someone else to fit him to the skeleton and then I could do the rest.
 Matt-Liell
01-15-2003, 5:42 PM
Well I used the Jedi Trainer .XSI and I think I've got the bones set up right so now do I export it as a .XSI and put it through carcass? If so how?
 Psyk0Sith
01-15-2003, 6:11 PM
You have to segment the model then you have to weight the mesh to the skeleton, (when uvw mapping is done of course).

You can add the caps later or while you are segmenting the model.

Once you have weighted everything, you have to link the hierarchy together.

The tags also need to be weighted it can be done from the start or after the model is weighted.

If you have done all of the above, then you go to file export then select XSI, save in your _humanoid dir and launch assimilate.
 morphius_doh
01-15-2003, 7:26 PM
So far it's a good start, but the jaw is still too long.
 Araegon
01-15-2003, 9:48 PM
there actually is a LotR:TC being made right now. Mostly by myself, The Brahma Bull and Chairwalker

The Brahma Bull is in charge of the mod and is going to be putting everything together in the end, he is also working on some maps and skinning of the weapons models.

i am the weapons modeler. i'm making just about EVERY weapon in LOTR, from Legolases Bow and daggers to Gimli's Axes, and even Narsil and Sting. about 20+ models in total

Chairwalker is the character modeler. hes currently working on some Orcs and the dark lord Sauron himself.

We need all the help we can get, especially at making the character models, and we would be honored if you would join our TC.

a link to our site (though the site and forums arn't very good i do admit, they'll get better when the mod gets farther along) is here: Click Here For LotR:TC (http://www.lotr-tc.coolfreepage.com/)
 Matt-Liell
01-16-2003, 12:45 PM
I best at modeling weapons actually but I'll think about your offer, thanks!

Now about my model, I'm really stuck right now. I exported it as a .XSI but carcass doesn't work. Could someone try putting my .XSI through their carcass?
 Orophin Amandil
01-16-2003, 1:40 PM
omg when is this gonna get released! its so...so...so...ITS LEGOLAS!!! ARG!!! Can't wait...my preeeecioussssssssssss...precioussss....
 Psyk0Sith
01-16-2003, 2:53 PM
send it to me if there are no errors it should work fine. I could also tell you how...

psykopat@geocities.com (zipped if possible so it will hopefully take less space)
 Matt-Liell
01-16-2003, 8:39 PM
Originally posted by Orophin Amandil
omg when is this gonna get released! its so...so...so...ITS LEGOLAS!!! ARG!!! Can't wait...my preeeecioussssssssssss...precioussss....

Be patient I'm getting closer and closer to getting him ingame, infact if Psyk0Sith can help me we'll be one step closer to skinning him!:D

BTW Psyk0Sith I sent the file to you! Thanks again!:D
 AnaKin_SkYwalKr
01-17-2003, 11:01 AM
I think this was mentioned before, but his nose is a little too wide at the bottom. Legolas has a smaller nose.
 Matt-Liell
01-17-2003, 12:47 PM
I fixed it up no worries!
 Elessar-Eдrfalas
01-18-2003, 3:23 PM
looking pretty darn good for your first model, great job!

what do you have planned for your next model?
 Matt-Liell
01-18-2003, 3:34 PM
No clue still trying to get Legolas to work, maybe a Gollum model?

EDIT: Actually I think I might make Aragorn because he's my second favourite!:D

Psyk0sith, check your email!
 El Sitherino
01-18-2003, 5:05 PM
gollum/smeagol would be good.
 Matt-Liell
01-18-2003, 5:16 PM
Originally posted by Araegon
there actually is a LotR:TC being made right now. Mostly by myself, The Brahma Bull and Chairwalker

The Brahma Bull is in charge of the mod and is going to be putting everything together in the end, he is also working on some maps and skinning of the weapons models.

i am the weapons modeler. i'm making just about EVERY weapon in LOTR, from Legolases Bow and daggers to Gimli's Axes, and even Narsil and Sting. about 20+ models in total

Chairwalker is the character modeler. hes currently working on some Orcs and the dark lord Sauron himself.

We need all the help we can get, especially at making the character models, and we would be honored if you would join our TC.

a link to our site (though the site and forums arn't very good i do admit, they'll get better when the mod gets farther along) is here: Click Here For LotR:TC (http://www.lotr-tc.coolfreepage.com/)

You may use my Legolas model in the Mod when it's done if you like. As long as I get credit.
 El Sitherino
01-18-2003, 5:52 PM
wooooooooo go matt. sorry. hey have you got a status report? my guess is 80%-90% done am i right.
 Matt-Liell
01-18-2003, 6:17 PM
Well I'm having problems with getting it into carcass and stuff. Psyk0sith is trying to help but my skeletons are messed up so I'd say 60-70% not sure though!

Psyk0sith check email again please!
 El Sitherino
01-18-2003, 6:44 PM
ok just checkin matt.
 Matt-Liell
01-18-2003, 7:25 PM
Well I figured out how to UVW Uwrap correctly but how do I get my new image for the model part onto the model?:confused:
 Matt-Liell
01-18-2003, 9:48 PM
This model is kind of falling apart so I need desperate help. Even though I've got someone with 3DSM I can't make good enogh skinmaps to get good detail in there. Psyk0sith is also helping me out a bit, if I could send the .max to someone to make the skin maps so I can skin it and I skin it I'll be about 80% done. Please help if you can make skinmaps.
 Darth Vader III
01-20-2003, 10:10 AM
I wish I could help but I'm no good...:( :( :(

ON the otherhand the model is looking great!!!

Btw: Matt-Liell check your PMs;)
 Kain
01-20-2003, 1:01 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHH SOMEONE HELP HIM FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!! I'LL DONATE ALL...hundredsomethin POINTS IF SOMEONE HELPS HIM!!! *not valid in Nevada*
 Psyk0Sith
01-20-2003, 3:20 PM
Cant your friend fix the trouble spots i pointed out? start by fixing those.

Also uvw mapping should have been done before the model segmentation, but it still can be done.

I will not help fix this model's mesh for the simple reason that i didnt make it and i'm also working on other models.

Ponda Baba had unwelded vertices errors, gaps, a few missing faces and symetry problems but nothing needed to be re-done from scratch.

Start by reducing the polycount on some of the meshes (the arrows for instance) 2000 faces is way too much for an "item".

I can however help you by pointing out errors and answer your questions (to the best of my knowledge) about the export process.
 Matt-Liell
01-20-2003, 3:36 PM
Alright thanks for all of your help, you've been really patient with this newbie! I'm going to work on Legolas with the pointers you've given, It'll be awhile but at least it'll work!
 wedge2211
01-20-2003, 10:04 PM
I think his face is too wide. Legolas's (or, at least, Orlando Bloom's) face is narrower than that.

Other than that, looks good!

PS to y'all...if you botch a LotR mod I will hunt you all down and kill you. Have a nice day. :D
Page: 2 of 5