Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Oh, Endy..

Page: 1 of 1
 Serge
12-10-2002, 8:23 AM
About the IDBs for COMI and the promised complete opcode list. It would seem that I've lost all the "secondary literature" for the last time I worked on ScummIDE. Only have a COMI.IDB from february 2001, and no complete opcode -> function w/arguments list. Working on getting both reconstructed, since ScummIDE is the priority right now. Had an almost completely annotated IDB, but now I'm back to a base stuffed with weird namings and even some erratic labels.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out. Sometime after christmas.

And congrats with 0.3.0. Have to get some floppies with me to uni so I can check it out someday.

- Serge
 Ender
12-10-2002, 9:30 AM
You know, you lose source so often you really need to start backing things up (or sharing them with other people! :o). hehe.

Anyway, even a base is a better start than I have - I just can't get the segments right. So whatever you have and can get to me, would be better than nothing.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Serge
About the IDBs for COMI and the promised complete opcode list. It would seem that I've lost all the "secondary literature" for the last time I worked on ScummIDE. Only have a COMI.IDB from february 2001, and no complete opcode -> function w/arguments list. Working on getting both reconstructed, since ScummIDE is the priority right now. Had an almost completely annotated IDB, but now I'm back to a base stuffed with weird namings and even some erratic labels.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out. Sometime after christmas.

And congrats with 0.3.0. Have to get some floppies with me to uni so I can check it out someday.

- Serge
 Serge
12-11-2002, 6:35 AM
I back up all the time... The question often is, what to back up. And the last time I did a complete format/reinstall, I probably didn't remember how long I spent doing the IDB, and didn't have any intention of continuing work on SCUMM stuff, so, it probably got deleted without even a thought towards backing it up beforehand - or maybe I did back it up, and just can't find the CD I backed it up on ;)

I'll work on the base a couple of weeks if that's OK with you, then I'll probably try and .rar it or something and see if it's possible to get it transported to the university, and somehow upload it somewhere. Right now I'm back at annotating the various structs and stuff (ScriptSlots, Objects, Costumes, what have you). It should be very much readable (if you can follow my frame of mind) in a couple of weeks. Excluding christmas.

- Serge
 Ender
12-11-2002, 8:23 PM
Sure, who am I to complain.. as long as you don't annotate things delphi-style. *grin*

Try using IDAs builtin deflate compression, it works quite well.

Anyway, Merry Christmas :)

I'll work on the base a couple of weeks if that's OK with you, then I'll probably try and .rar it or something and see if it's possible to get it transported to the university, and somehow upload it somewhere. Right now I'm back at annotating the various structs and stuff (ScriptSlots, Objects, Costumes, what have you). It should be very much readable (if you can follow my frame of mind) in a couple of weeks. Excluding christmas.

- Serge
 Serge
12-12-2002, 6:27 AM
There's no way you can get a say in the style I annotate in. ;) First of all, because I do it the way that's faster for me, secondly because that way changes with each time I come back to it after some months' break :)

In any event, it's only variable, structure, constant and function naming... So, there's no real "Delphi style" or "C style" for that.

I name each function like:

modulename_FunctionName, such as:

actors_PutActorAtXY

etc.

variables are what change most. The base will really mainly be useful to see what each variable is used for. I have no consistent notation for types or whatever. Sometimes I prefix pointers with "ptr" (if I find that it eases the reading of some function), other times I don't.

The structures are named VCL-style, however, such as:

TScriptSlot, TActor, TObject etc.

enumerations are usually done with an abbreviation of the enumeration type followed by the name of the abbreviation, such as (for script states):

ssSleeping, ssDead etc.

Merry christmas to you all too. I'll probably be back before then, though.

- Serge

Oh, a little more on the progress: I've reconstructed most of the structure types, named about 70% of the main-sputm functions (that is, non-INSANE/iMUSE stuff - getting to that). It should be quite usable when it's done.

And I don't like IDA's deflation for network transfer. Not because it's bad, but because I'm used to things going wrong with non-standard binary formats being transfered as they are (MIME stuff). So, going to zip or rar the stuff anyway. Right now, it goes from 9MB to 1.47MB zipped.

- Serge
 Ender
12-12-2002, 9:45 PM
There's no way you can get a say in the style I annotate in. ;)

.. That was just a joke :)

Oh, a little more on the progress: I've reconstructed most of the structure types, named about 70% of the main-sputm functions (that is, non-INSANE/iMUSE stuff - getting to that). It should be quite usable when it's done.

Niiiiice. iMUSE shouldn't be that important, our current implementation of Digi-iMUSE is based off of DIG/FT/Grim anyway, so I can't really imagine CMI being much different to the stuff we already have documented.

INSANE I'm curious about, because for Full Throttle (it wasn't used in Dig) it was just a really crappy method of running some simple hardcoded scenes over a SMUSH player, controlled by the stuff hardcoded in the engine and a few simple variables passed in.. umm, var[233] or something I think.

I believe you mentioned it was far more used in CMI, so I'm rather curious to see what INSANE is -supposed- to be, rather than the junk in FT that they called INSANE :)

- Ender
 Jake
12-13-2002, 6:16 PM
I thought INSANE started with Rebel Assault 1, which means it was originally just gameplay over SMUSH.
 Tomas
12-18-2002, 11:55 AM
Serge, you might want to check you private messages here on LucasForums unless you already have. ;)
 Serge
12-20-2002, 8:15 AM
Oops, didn't know about private messages at all :P

Just looked through them, sorry Tomas, Phonse, Dalixam. I replied now. :) The other messages weren't really necessary to reply to in private. Oh, I'll reply to you here, Tomas:

Thanks a bunch! :) I'll have a look at it (if my disk survives the trip home) ;)

And merry christmas + happy new year to you all

- Serge
 Ender
12-21-2002, 1:36 AM
Thanks a bunch! :) I'll have a look at it (if my disk survives the trip home) ;)

So do you give him permission to send ME a copy too? :)

Oh, merry Christmas, happy new year, and all that jazz.
 Serge
01-06-2003, 8:21 AM
Nah, my redone version is better anyway. I'll add the old stuff etc. and send the new one to you.

Soon Endy, soon. I hope. (Although I have nothing to do at uni until February 3, I might just go outthere just for you to mail it ;) )

- Serge
 Ender
01-06-2003, 8:35 AM
Ok, I guess :P

Right now CMI is mostly playable up until some way though Part II... I'm trying to work out what setActorChoreLimbFrame does right now, and how to fit it into our AKOS code... without it, F_CHORE doesn't seem to want to work properly and thus firing the cannon crashes if you fire it too often. Grr.

- Ender

Nah, my redone version is better anyway. I'll add the old stuff etc. and send the new one to you.

Soon Endy, soon. I hope. (Although I have nothing to do at uni until February 3, I might just go outthere just for you to mail it ;) )

- Serge
 Serge
01-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Would you believe I'm actually here to send the IDB to you, and then some moron sits at the only comp here that has a CD-ROM drive, and the two (2!) floppy discs I copied the file to, just in case, BOTH have errors. I hate floppies more than ever. They seem to have acquired much more erratic behaviour since everyone started forgetting they ever existed...

Decided I'm not doing more work on the IDB for some while, so I might as well send it to you as it is now. Guess I'll try again next week :P

Also trying to get on IRC, but not a single server wants to resolve, from DALNet to EFNet, to OpenProjects, or I get connection timeouts... Hmmm... Bad day

Trying the IT room in the new university buildings now. We'll see.

- Serge
 Ender
01-10-2003, 11:00 AM
Also trying to get on IRC, but not a single server wants to resolve, from DALNet to EFNet, to OpenProjects, or I get connection timeouts... Hmmm... Bad day
- Serge

I hate computers sometimes :)

I'll be on #scummvm on OpenProjects (now irc.freenode.net) and #monkey-island on irc.gamesnet.net in a bit, if you do make it on. Need to go get some food first :)
 Serge
01-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Still trying to connect to anything. Not sure if it's just mIRC giving weird responses to ports that they've shut down at uni. Oh well... Can't find any email address of yours, except for the sourgeforge one. OK to send to that one?

- Serge
 Ender
01-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Still trying to connect to anything. Not sure if it's just mIRC giving weird responses to ports that they've shut down at uni. Oh well... Can't find any email address of yours, except for the sourgeforge one. OK to send to that one?

- Serge

ender at scummvm.org will be faster :)

Thanks for this, hopefully we can now fix that nasty flobjects bug :P

Can I share this IDB with Aquadran and yazoo, btw?
 Serge
01-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Sure, sure, share away.

Sent it to ender at scummvm.org... Please let me know as soon as you have it (and you've unrar'ed it). The web-based email system of the university isn't quite finished, and it may just do a non-error if the attachment is too large or something...

- Serge
 Ender
01-10-2003, 12:01 PM
Sure, sure, share away.

Sent it to ender at scummvm.org... Please let me know as soon as you have it (and you've unrar'ed it). The web-based email system of the university isn't quite finished, and it may just do a non-error if the attachment is too large or something...

- Serge

Paniced for a bit there, because my version of unrar wouldn't work with the file.. but I had tomas turn it into a .zip for me and it works fine :)

Thanks again. I hope you'll be able to get online again someday soon, we misss you! *g*
 Serge
01-10-2003, 12:14 PM
I'll obviously post here regularly. As for getting my own connection, I'm not sure when/if it'll happen. Live happily without it at the moment (except for the times I'm bored and want IRC :) )

Well, hope there's at least SOME helpful stuff in the IDB. As you can see (probably), it hasn't been modified since december 20. No time for any SCUMM stuff lately (as usual). Maybe sometime next week, I'll get back to ScummIDE (and add the old findings of the IDB Tomas sent me to the new IDB). Right now, it's hard enough getting that rar file home on floppies. :P

- Serge
Page: 1 of 1