Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kyle Katarn's Ages!

Page: 1 of 1
 Katarn07
12-05-2002, 5:32 PM
So, I finish my geometry test really early and decide to have a little fun with my calculator. I read that very morning Kyle had left for the academy 12 years before the events of JK in the manual. The NEW EG2C says he was 18 when he joined, so I did the math. I was 5 years off with my previous age 22 in DF. I need that missing 12 year link! Well, here you go. Its based on the Before the Battle of Yavin (BBY) Timeline.

27 BBY - Kyle Katarn is born.
09 BBY - Kyle joins the Academy on Carida: 18 years old
05 BBY - Kyle Katarn graduates, Morgan is killed, Kyle becomes a mercenary: 22 years old
00 DTY - DF begins: 27 years old
03 ABY - DF ends: 30 years old (yep, 3 whole years!)
05 ABY - JK: 32 years old
09 ABY - MotS: 37 years old
13 ABY - JO: 41 years old
25 ABY - NJO: 52 years old
 The Count
12-05-2002, 5:44 PM
Is Kyle in the NJO?
 Katarn07
12-05-2002, 5:47 PM
Not directly, but in the NEW Essential Guide to Characters (NEW EG2C), it says he is a combat instructor and was present in at least 3 battles. Itor was one of them. I forgot the other 2...
 ImmolatedYoda
12-05-2002, 6:02 PM
"Katarn eventually returned to the Force, becoming a combat instructor at the academy. His students fought the invading Yuuzhan Vong with valor at Ithor, Obroa-skai, and Gyndine. Katarn has since seen many of them die, betrayed by enemy collaborators or sniffed out by Jedi-hunting voxyn. He fears the Yuuzhan Vong may succeed where Jerec did not." there you go. it doesnt specifically say he participated in the battles. he wasnt in Vector Prime, thats all i know, itll take me forever to read all of the NJO (im reading books from prequel era, after RotJ and NJO in turn).
 The Count
12-05-2002, 6:09 PM
Damn they should bring Kyle as a main character in the NJO he wouldn't take no sh*t from the Yuzzan Vong
 Katarn07
12-05-2002, 6:45 PM
Only 3 installments left by my count. Like you, ImmolatedYoda, I have not read them all. I read Vector Prime and Onslaught.
 ForceCommander
12-05-2002, 7:12 PM
five more books actually:

Force Heretic I - Remnant
by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
Due out in Feb

Force Heretic II - Refugee
Due out in Apr

Force Heretic III - Reunion
Due out in Aug

The Final Prophecy
by Greg Keyes
Due out in Oct

The Unifying Force
by James Luceno
Due out in Nov

I wonder where the SW books are gonna go after then...
 Katarn07
12-05-2002, 7:27 PM
Prequel trilogy stuff rocks! Haven't read Approaching Storm yet...
Skywalker/ Solo Family, the Next Generation.
I'd love to see Ben, Jaina, and Jacen's adventures as adults. That is if they don't all die! :mad:

*** This thread is getting off subject. but do you think they will release the entire series of books into like a 3-5 volume series? How many are there? Three-four of them in one book.
 ForceCommander
12-05-2002, 7:40 PM
I have this feeling that a good majority of main characters will kick the bucket in NJO

Just look at Vector Prime, Star by Star and Destiny's Way. I'm pretty certain that Luke will be gone by the end of the NJO
:(

As far as the entire series in volumes, maybe the NJO, there will be a total of 19 NJO books, not including the two e-books. So that would be probably five volumes of 4 books, although with books like Star By Star (600+ pages in the hardcover!) the number might vary.
 ForceCommander
12-05-2002, 7:48 PM
I'm not looking forward to reading the last book of NJO, I'm too afraid that it's not going to be a happy ending. :(
 Katarn07
12-05-2002, 8:00 PM
NJO Spoiler below for future books.
I read Chewie or Han were going to die. That was it. The logical choice was Chewie. I'm sure that is it for movie characters. But the book characters may still die. I really hope Corran, Kyle (even though he hasn't appeared once!), Jaina, Jacen, Mara, and Ben don't die. They're the best! Well, Ben will just carry on the Skywalker name.

*** I'd read them if my stupid library would get them in!
 ImmolatedYoda
12-05-2002, 8:45 PM
hmm..im not quite sure where i got this, i thought it said it in the new ECG, but it doesnt: i think that Ben dies. im not entirely sure but i seem to remember something about it somewhere...dont trust me though ive read Approaching Storm, its pretty good. in my cycle between prequel, New Republic and NJO, im on Heir to the Empire right now :)
 Katarn07
12-05-2002, 8:54 PM
I read he was the plot of several assassination/kidnapping attempts.
If Luke does die, you need Ben to carry on the name.
 ForceCommander
12-05-2002, 8:56 PM
Ben is not dead, yet

Katarn, check your pm's!
 Katarn07
12-05-2002, 8:58 PM
Katarn, check your pm's!

Huh? If you are referring to that first comment, I changed it before even reading your post. I caught that.
 ForceCommander
12-05-2002, 8:59 PM
As this post is getting way off topic... :p you can all pm me for NJO questions and what not, I've read through all the current books at least twice. :D
 ForceCommander
12-05-2002, 9:01 PM
Katarn, I was refering to your comment about Chewie. I'm sure that if you've read Vector Prime that you know what I'm talking about. :p
 xcountryman03
12-05-2002, 11:48 PM
what if NJO will be the end of the timeline for the starwars universe?

and on another note, is George still planning on 7,8,and9?
 ForceCommander
12-06-2002, 1:30 AM
what if NJO will be the end of the timeline for the starwars universe?

NJO may very well indeed be the end of the timeline, but there's still a ton more time periods available for the books. there's the prequels, the time between The Hand of Thrawn duology and the NJO (Zahn is writing two books right now one that takes place between Episode 1 and 2 about the Outward Bound Project, and one between THT and NJO where Luke and Mara find the OBP.) There's even the time well before the prequels to write books about, so it certainly won't be the end of the SW universe.

and on another note, is George still planning on 7,8,and9?

Officially, no. that's not to say he won't change his mind after Ep III. he certainly won't have to wait another 20 years for the technology. who knows he may even pass the torch to guys like ben burtt and rick mccallum. they could certainly handle it.

Only time will tell
 michael_collins
12-06-2002, 10:22 AM
id love to see a rogue squadran film, even if its animated, at heart, im just a snubby jockey
 xcountryman03
12-06-2002, 11:57 AM
same way micheal. Antilles is the coolest star wars character ever. That would be sweet maybe out of one of the novels or something.
 ForceCommander
12-06-2002, 5:15 PM
I don't know why I'm keeping this thread going :p but it appears that the NJO might not end as bad as I thought. take a long at this preview of Remnant from theforce.net

The first of an original audiobook trilogy charting the beginning of the galaxy's victory of the dreadful Yuuzhan Vong alien invaders. Under the leadership of Luke Skywalker and a combined Jedi-government council, the newly formed Galactic Federation of Free Alliances is doggedly fighting back--and winning. Luke is on a quest for a legend, in hope of bringing back the ultimate answer. to the war. And a mysterious prophet has risen among the Yuuzhan Vong lower castes to turn the Yuuzhan Vong culture on its ear.
Page: 1 of 1