Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hey guess what

Page: 1 of 1
 tyriel
12-03-2002, 8:06 PM
do u guys realize you can get sued for making a copy of a game and distributing it for free??
 VadWalker
12-03-2002, 8:09 PM
Of corse i do its the liscence agreement at the install of every frigin game! i hate that agreement.

You can get in a load of **** doing that.
 Perfect Chaos
12-03-2002, 8:12 PM
Eh no. Although I couldn't precisely say why, as I don't know the legality of this stuff like the team does, it is primarily because the game is so ancient. They don't care about what you do about a game that you can buy for 50 cents anyway. Well, I suppose you may get sued for such a thing, but the chance is insanely slim. If anything you should be warning the team that is making a Dark Forces II mod, in which the game is a lot newer. Now that mod does have a chance to get in problems which is why this team refused to alliance with them. Again, though, it is still a bit unlikely. And lastly... this is a recreation of the game. It is quite similar, but not the same thing. Similar textures, models, maps, etc... but they are NOT the same thing.
 ImmolatedYoda
12-03-2002, 9:15 PM
and if it makes any difference, this is a MOD, not a TC. and as far as i know, Perfect Chaos is exactly right, i believe Darth_Linux said the same thing.
 Katarn07
12-03-2002, 9:28 PM
I can write a 500 page Star Wars novel and issue it out in mass quantities to the public, but as long as I don't make money off of it, I won't get sued!
Have you heard of Fan Fiction and Fan Films?
And as pointed out above, its a mod.
 MilesTeg
12-03-2002, 9:36 PM
The only thing they could do (if they would be that evil) is forcing us to change the name. "Dark Forces" is still a trademark.

btw: All textures, models, maps, scripts and cutscenes are property of the DF Mod Team...

At the end, itґs a Mod for a Lucasarts game...
 Katarn07
12-03-2002, 9:49 PM
Dark Forces - The Dark Side Just Got Darker

That was the original title and slogan. Here's my idea change.

Forces of Darkness - Those Evil Guys Just Got Meaner

How's that for a title change?
lol :D
 Darth_Linux
12-04-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Chaos
If anything you should be warning the team that is making a Dark Forces II mod, in which the game is a lot newer. Now that mod does have a chance to get in problems which is why this team refused to alliance with them.

This is entirely untrue - I've talked to NWO Reaper and Prime's Ghost a number of times and offered to help them along in whatever capacity I can to see that their mod gets done. They are taking a similar approach that we are so far - starting from scratch, using JO's assets wherever possible and making their own where it isn't . . .
 michael_collins
12-04-2002, 2:18 PM
what about "Dark Evolution" starring Kyle Katarn ? for a name change? anyone like this ? since the mod is an evolution, the next step for the good old game
 Perfect Chaos
12-04-2002, 3:09 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Linux

This is entirely untrue - I've talked to NWO Reaper and Prime's Ghost a number of times and offered to help them along in whatever capacity I can to see that their mod gets done. They are taking a similar approach that we are so far - starting from scratch, using JO's assets wherever possible and making their own where it isn't . . .

Ahh my bad, I suppose I shouldn't have let my mouth run on stuff I didn't know was for a fact. Forgive me ;)
Page: 1 of 1