Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The DEMO is out!!!!

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth_Linux
11-26-2002, 11:59 PM
Come and get it . . .
 ImmolatedYoda
11-27-2002, 12:05 AM
sweet!! me first, me first!!
(edit: thanks for not making us wait a whole half a day!!)
 ImmolatedYoda
11-27-2002, 12:49 AM
well, i just played it, its very good, just a few little things to point out. ill elaborate tomoro. gotta sleep. mmm...bryar...stormtrooper...
 Jeff 42
11-27-2002, 2:02 AM
Great job, guys! I downloaded and played through Secret Base, and despite a few minor problems it really did feel like Dark Forces. The one major difference (besides the improved graphics ;) ) was that this was much much harder. I played it on the hardest difficulty setting, but in the original DF this level's a relative breeze even on Hard. You might want to think about that when making the rest of the levels. Overall, this was an excellent conversion. The classic DF music was a highlight. Keep up the good work!
 TIMMAY
11-27-2002, 3:29 AM
OH YEAH!!! This demo ROCKED. As soon as the mod loaded and the DF music played, it was just so cool :D. I only wish that i had a better computer because it was a bit choppy when outside. But it was well worth the wait :D. The only thing i have to be a pain about, is the cutscene when the Crow flys to the planet, the "Space" is too white/gray, its not black.

But other than that it rocked, A very Very VERY big thankyou to the Team for doing such a great job.
 chrustec
11-27-2002, 3:51 AM
Hey Timmay,

I am the one responsable for the cutscenes of this mod. Unfortunatly due to the doggy factor or .ROQ files it tends to contrast black very high hence the whiteish grey space background. I am going to be doing to ground work testing to correct this and expect either a patch for the mod or even just wait for the full version but the cutscene was rushed for the demo as I was in the middle of my final assignment for school. Enjoy the demo.

Chrustec
 TIMMAY
11-27-2002, 3:56 AM
ahh, okay then, The demo still looked SUPERB it was just a littly picky thing :p
 Gorgi
11-27-2002, 5:57 AM
In one word... IT IS F*CKING GREAT. Ok four words then. It plays and feels just like the original Dark Forces. Only the graphics are better and the AI then :D

Ohh, the agony that i have to wait until next summer before the entire mod will be complete. I luv you guys, because you make my second favourite 3d shooter better then it was. :cheers:

Good work guys
 TIMMAY
11-27-2002, 6:26 AM
Out of curiosity, now that you've got the basic structure down for the Mod, will the rest of the mod be easier to make?
 MilesTeg
11-27-2002, 8:08 AM
Originally posted by Jeff 42
Great job, guys! I downloaded and played through Secret Base, and despite a few minor problems it really did feel like Dark Forces. The one major difference (besides the improved graphics ;) ) was that this was much much harder. I played it on the hardest difficulty setting, but in the original DF this level's a relative breeze even on Hard. You might want to think about that when making the rest of the levels. Overall, this was an excellent conversion. The classic DF music was a highlight. Keep up the good work!

thx

Yes, I made "hard" very hard.... you can still play easy ;)

To give you a small overview:
normal: same amount of enemies, less items than easy
hard: more enemies, less items than easy
+ the JO engine improves enemy AI with every difficulty setting.

"Easy" is possible to beat for everyone. Keep in mind that you can quicksave within the level.

Also think about DF AI in JO: It would be soo lame... I always say: "In DF you have to fight with the controls, in the MOD youґll have to fight the enemies" ;)
 HardKore
11-27-2002, 8:17 AM
I can remember playing DF when I was 8 or 9 or something. This is like a time warp with better graphics. Glad your staying true to the original by keeping all the original sounds in LOVE the models and the map is sweet would be fun once its mltiplayer too;) well love the work but were are the easter eggs??:(
 MilesTeg
11-27-2002, 8:17 AM
Originally posted by TIMMAY
Out of curiosity, now that you've got the basic structure down for the Mod, will the rest of the mod be easier to make?

Yes it will. But we have thought of that before we have given you the release date "summer 2003".
There are still many things to do: bunch of cutscenes, more complex scripting in the other levels, completing the CoOp source code and trying to convert the levels for it, new enemy/weapon behavior, ....
I donґt know what we will have to cope with.

But yes, youґre right: It wonґt take six months for each level ;)
 Fanboy_Solo
11-27-2002, 8:21 AM
where is it?
 obi
11-27-2002, 8:34 AM
^_^

Check the JKII.net main page. ;)

I haven't played the mod yet, but you dang skippy, I am goin to try it out today. ;)
 SettingShadow
11-27-2002, 9:00 AM
d/lґing right now, ahh only 90% left to go ;)
 michael_collins
11-27-2002, 10:59 AM
have downloaded it,
have played it
have gotten EVERY SECRET!!!

and now for some thoughts
*thinks in his head, oh glory of glories, oh holy thirst quenching well of rapture*

WOOOOOOWWWWW WHEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
worth waiting for, thanks a bunch, im irish so i dont celebrate thanksgiving but jus for u guys i will.............yess!!!!!!
 SettingShadow
11-27-2002, 11:30 AM
Iґve played it now, then I played the level in the original DF, everything is superb!!!!! The only thing I can complain on would be that I miss a stormtrooper that should stand with his back against you when you open the first door :p , otherwise: YEAAAAHHHH great work dudes :thmbup1: cant wait for the full realese :)
 Katarn07
11-27-2002, 11:43 AM
Just can't find one secret area...
Other than that... WOW! I really liked that spot light in the court yard as well as your Crow model. I was cheering outloud as that baby landed!
 MilesTeg
11-27-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Squater
The only thing I can complain on would be that I miss a stormtrooper that should stand with his back against you
they are there. They just notice the fighting inside the base. I think I will make them dumb and numb until you open the door ;)
 KMan
11-27-2002, 11:56 AM
It would really look a lot better if you used more creative license in the design of the levels. Columns aren't all supposed to be square and flat. There is so much more you can do with the Quake III engine. And that doesn't mean use tons of useless curved surfaces either.
Also, making your own textures for this would make it look far less dated than using the old textures from Dark Forces and Jedi Kight.
 MilesTeg
11-27-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
Just can't find one secret area...
Other than that... WOW! I really liked that spot light in the court yard as well as your Crow model. I was cheering outloud as that baby landed!

thx
and
lol, I knew you were the first who would find a bug :D

the last secret is linked wrong. it should be the "extra life" outside the base...
So only five "Secret Area!"s will pop-up :(

Iґm happy itґs nothing worse :D
 Darth_Linux
11-27-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by michael_collins
im irish so i dont celebrate thanksgiving but just for u guys i will.............yess!!!!!!

well there you go, now we've spread the spirit of thanksgiving over to Ireland and beyond - give thanks for life, food, family, and DARK FORCES!! ;-)
 Darth_Linux
11-27-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by KMan

Also, making your own textures for this would make it look far less dated than using the old textures from Dark Forces and Jedi Kight.

umm . . . we did . . . browse through the texture directory of the pk3 file and look at the artwork first hand. We remade ALL the textures and didn't use ANY textures from Jedi Knight!!!

I understand your criticism of the architecture - that's an aesthetic call and we chose to stick to the original - but commenting on the textures like that shows you aren't paying close enough attention before making comments . . .
 KMan
11-27-2002, 1:35 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Linux

umm . . . we did . . . browse through the texture directory of the pk3 file and look at the artwork first hand. We remade ALL the textures and didn't use ANY textures from Jedi Knight!!!

I understand your criticism of the architecture - that's an aesthetic call and we chose to stick to the original - but commenting on the textures like that shows you aren't paying close enough attention before making comments . . .

Alright, I looked back through the pk3. I was looking at some of the screenshots, and they looked pretty bad. Sorry for the mix up on that. :)
However, in your FAQ, you mentioned wanting to 'make the levels more realistic and up to the standard of JKII's.'
This was only talking about the scripting for the levels, but that isn't going to be enough.
You mentioned changing coruscant to make it more true to the movies, but wouldn't that apply to the rest of the maps? It's not like there are no resources available that show pictures of imperial facilities and their architecture.
I'm just pointing these things out because I care, well sorta. I would have much rather had a source port of the original Dark Forces, but since they never made their code open source, it was out of reach until the thought of using the JK2 game as a base for it. It is definatly a good idea, and looks far better than what's been done for the JK mod. But there is so much more that could be done to the maps to bring them alive. There is so much more that you could do with this.
I'm only bringing this up as it was a topic in my Applied Game Theory class last night. That, and there aren't enough SP mods for JK2.
 Bactavius
11-27-2002, 2:29 PM
A perfect 10 for the demo.
 ImmolatedYoda
11-27-2002, 2:47 PM
on the note of textures, i played it first-time through and thought that they werent all that detailed. later, when i was looking through the pk3s i thought "they didnt look that good ingame". then i realized that i needed to put texture detail on very high! :p
 MilesTeg
11-27-2002, 3:20 PM
Originally posted by KMan
This was only talking about the scripting for the levels, but that isn't going to be enough.
You mentioned changing coruscant to make it more true to the movies, but wouldn't that apply to the rest of the maps? It's not like there are no resources available that show pictures of imperial facilities and their architecture.
I'm just pointing these things out because I care, well sorta. I would have much rather had a source port of the original Dark Forces, but since they never made their code open source, it was out of reach until the thought of using the JK2 game as a base for it. It is definatly a good idea, and looks far better than what's been done for the JK mod. But there is so much more that could be done to the maps to bring them alive. There is so much more that you could do with this.
I'm only bringing this up as it was a topic in my Applied Game Theory class last night. That, and there aren't enough SP mods for JK2.

Well, I could argue, that this is my first map.... but I wonґt :P

- yes, there IS a lack of detail in the inner rooms.
- youґre right. we could have added much more to the map.

The problem was the time and the resources. One thing I learned in the last three months was that a level designer and a level designer who has to publish a map with a mod team are two different things.
I had to take care of a huge part of the mod because everything had to be tested on my map. At the end there was just enough time to get everything working the way we all wanted it to be.

Believe me, I had billion ideas on how to enhance the level. But we had to finish it for the demo. And I had to make a decision: working on more areas/details, or trying to make the stuff we have as good as we can (for example: I improved lightning, the new sky, textures, enemy scripts, ambient sound, moveable object sounds etc).

I choose the second and I donґt regret it.

edit:
before someone asks: Iґm not sure if we will add new easter eggs or areas to this level in the complete mod. Weґll have to see.
 Vivli
11-27-2002, 3:33 PM
I played the demo twice and its the best mod for Jedi Outcast ever!!! The simplistic textures just made it feel exactly like the original Dark Forces, and the music. All the models were great and everything.

I did notice on thing though. I'm not sure if this was intentional but when I went to crouch I accidently hit "F" and I suddenly found myself healing. I then scrolled through what would normally be my force powers to find one, named "Heal" with the symbol that I think was used for the Death Star plans. ihad no cheats on or anything. So was this intentional, sure makes things easier lol.

That wasn't really a problem though since if you didn't want to use it, you didn't have to, and it was the best level I've played for Jedi Outcast in a long time, and really reminded me of Dark Forces. Gotta love the great midi-style intro music lol.
 MilesTeg
11-27-2002, 3:49 PM
Hi, Iґm this strange "I have to respond on every post" guy... :D

We needed a Force power to give you the mission briefing in the datapad.

And we had to make a decision for the demo:
giving you strict key bindings to solve this problem or leave it the way you are playing it now.

I think it doesnґt matter in singleplayer if you still have forcepowers - itґs your playing expierience. If you can live without the mission briefing in the datapad just type "setforceall 0" in the console and youґr rid of force heal ;)

btw: all cheats from JO are still working in the mod...
 Vivli
11-27-2002, 3:59 PM
Oh I see. Well, to be perfectly honest, it makes very little difference having heal there, and it could actaully be seen like the "invincibility" option in the menu of the original Dark Forces. If the player wants to cheat, they can, if they dont, they wont. So really, it's quite a good idea. Well, it's a good enough excuse! Lol.
 SettingShadow
11-27-2002, 4:01 PM
Wouldnt it been better to use Saber defense/offense/throw instead of heal? since you cant use a lightsaber without cheats that wouldnt affect anything at all. Just a thought.
 MilesTeg
11-27-2002, 4:14 PM
the idea was that we include the jk2config.cfg and with that it wouldnґt have mattered if there are all force powers (because the force keybinding are just switched off then). But we had serious problems with that file and so we had to leave it out.

This was discussion in with team last night and we just hadnґt the time to switch it to another force power or anything similiar.
 MMP
11-27-2002, 6:02 PM
Hey, I've been following the MOD, and just played it. Great job! Even the original music was spruced up, even though it's a little above DF sound quality, it does sound "more advanced". I really liked the spotlight, and the outdoor textures were really cool. I like your original textures a lot, and the best thing...the Death Star hologram! Very nice update on that. The only thing I can suggest is some work on the shield belt texture, it just looks a little plain is all.
 SettingShadow
11-28-2002, 2:34 AM
Originally posted by MilesTeg
the idea was that we include the jk2config.cfg and with that it wouldnґt have mattered if there are all force powers (because the force keybinding are just switched off then). But we had serious problems with that file and so we had to leave it out.

This was discussion in with team last night and we just hadnґt the time to switch it to another force power or anything similiar.

Oh I c, anyway if you dont want heal its just to unbind the key to use it with, plus unbind the use force key. :)
 Magic_Al`s DF
11-28-2002, 11:04 AM
Best. Mod. Ever.

I'm only bummed that I can't see the Moldy Crow at the end. I just get to the roof and get the end credits. I don't know if this is because the Macintosh version is still at 1.03 or because the only way I was able to get the mod to load (yes I did try to follow the instructions) was to put all the files in the base directory.

I love how the stormtroopers in this mod, just like in DF, don't know how to use the rapid-fire feature of their blasters.

I love the music. When the Star Wars logo appeared I couldn't help but love a mod that had intentionally replaced the London Symphony Orchestra with a MIDI performance. The music is a huge part of making this feel like DF.

This felt so much like DF I forgot I was playing Jedi Outcast. I actually hit the wrong keys because my brain switched over to DF's default key mapping. I tried to hit space for use, and when I hit F5 I was looking for the headlight, not force heal. Can there be a headlight?

I hope Raven will release more code so that everything can be done in this mod. I saw that they just released the single player source for Elite Force <http://www.webdog.org/plans/168/>) specifically to help a mod on that.... maybe that means they'll do the same for JKII? Or maybe some of that Elite Force information would also work in JKII?
 Katarn07
11-28-2002, 11:45 AM
I play with DF's default key mapping for every game! Even JO and MoHAA!
 ImmolatedYoda
11-28-2002, 6:17 PM
i base all of my game configs after what i used for half-life awhile ago. anybody who turns instead of strafes sucks.
 Katarn07
11-28-2002, 6:32 PM
For lightsaber battle, I use turn still. I use the a and d keys. (That's JK, not DF, but that's what I know...)
For MoHAA, I learned to issue the strafe key to the arrows. Same for the first few JO missions. A lot easier to aim....
 ImmolatedYoda
11-28-2002, 6:35 PM
i meant using the arrows to turn instead of strafe or not strafing at all. using A and D is ok, but i put as many essential keys as possible near the arrows and on the mouse.
Page: 1 of 1