Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Yes

Page: 1 of 1
 Aran_Linvail
11-05-2002, 6:17 AM
Greetings,

I recently bought a new 900 mhz computer and Dark Forces doesn't work on windows. Only when i play it in dos, then it works, but then mouse and sound doesn't work... How can i play it in windows? Or can i take screenshots in dos? Thanks.
 Alex_P47
11-05-2002, 2:37 PM
you should be able to run the dos executable from windows.
the sound doesnt work but the mouse should. As of why I have no idea at the moment. Ill look into it:fett:
 Katarn07
11-05-2002, 5:23 PM
I had to run it through DOS on my old, worthless PC and sound didn't work. Back then I knew absolutely nothing, but fixed it. This SHOULD work to get your sound on. Go to my computer, what drive its in, what folder you installed it in and click on the setup.exe. Go to sound and keep auto testing until sounds on. If there is a mouse option in there, run it, that should get it working again.
 JorBo
11-05-2002, 7:02 PM
http://www.df-21.net) <---- search around there.
 TIMMAY
11-06-2002, 7:14 PM
The Reason why your sound and mouse wont work in Dos is because you probably didn't load them in the config.sys and autoexec.bat startup files. Now im not sure about your sound card and theres next to no hope for it in Dos now, since you would be very lucky to find Dos Drivers but for the mouse, go into dos, goto C: and type :

edit autoexec.bat

once that opens go to the end of the file and type in :

lh mouse

then exit, save and reboot. Now you should have your mouse in Dos :D

P.S If you are using NT4, Win 2k, WinXP then this wont work as they done use DOS other than a command prompt in Windows.
 michael_collins
11-06-2002, 7:29 PM
i managed to get mine working in windows ME, but im afraid of deleting it in case i cant get it back, i jus set music to general midi player and it worked like a dream, and autodetected for the sound fx.....god forbid if i ever have to reformat my hdd. lol
 michael_collins
11-06-2002, 7:36 PM
hey jorbo, do the modders know of this site ? cos its really informative
 Arcandaous
11-07-2002, 6:21 AM
I use VDMSound

Its an emulator of everything u could possibly need for dos based games to run under windows. Its easy to config. when u have the GUI launcher (just point and click). It emulates Sound Blaster Cards and all midi cards as well as mouse, ram (expanded and extended) and video memory.

Works perfectly with Dark Forces.

get it at http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/)

To get sound and mouse working under win98/me i suggest you check out some sites regardign editing your autoexec.bat files and dos drivers for your mouse and sound if you want it to work (or just upgrade crappy ol win98/me to win2k).

Alternatively there may be similar emultors which work in win98.

Cheers :band:
 Geoffrey S
11-07-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by michael_collins:
Hey jorbo, do the modders know of this site?
I got here from DF-21, and so did a couple of the texture artists.
Jorbo's right. There are some articles on your problem, and I'm sure it's been discussed in the fora. And besides, it's got plenty of great add-ons too.
 The_One
11-07-2002, 1:12 PM
Originally posted by michael_collins
hey jorbo, do the modders know of this site ? cos its really informative

We use it all the time! Check the links page of the site - was the first link I think :)
Page: 1 of 1