Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!! Stupid English Homework...

Page: 1 of 1
 Tyrion
10-24-2002, 5:35 AM
Each Wensday in my english class, our homework is to right the synonym and antonym of my spelling words. Seems easy enough? Only problem is that I have to write Antonyms for every letter! Not just for verbs,oh no. We hafta do the antonyms of the nouns too. Like the antonym of Brochure.huh?
 STTCT
10-24-2002, 5:53 AM
i tried thinking of an antynym for brochure can't think of one... sorry i can't help. the only thing I could think of was hardback book because a brochure is paperback. I don't know though.
 The Truthful Liar
10-24-2002, 7:36 AM
:rolleyes:
 jokemaster
10-24-2002, 8:45 AM
im stuck doing math :barf:
 Wrinkled~Lemon
10-24-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Tyrion
Each Wensday in my english class, our homework is to right the synonym and antonym of my spelling words. Seems easy enough? Only problem is that I have to write Antonyms for every letter! Not just for verbs,oh no. We hafta do the antonyms of the nouns too. Like the antonym of Brochure.huh?

erm .... whats a antonym?
 PhantomHelix
10-24-2002, 10:20 AM
damn, that sux dude. right now in english we are readin the Odyssey, by Homer. its boring.
 Sarlacc Food
10-24-2002, 11:09 AM
wtf is that???
 obi
10-24-2002, 11:20 AM
Synonym-Word with same meaning
Antonym- word of opposite meaning

Brochure

Synonym-

Flier or catalogue

Antonym-

dumbfounded; ignorance
 Tyrion
10-24-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
Synonym-Word with same meaning
Antonym- word of opposite meaning

Brochure

Synonym-

Flier or catalogue

Antonym-

dumbfounded; ignorance

Wait a second, isnt brochure a pamplet or something? Then how could it be Dubfounded,ignorance?

Oh and AB, by posting posts containing only ":rolleyes:" in threads you deem worthless, you are spamming ironically.
 obi
10-24-2002, 12:04 PM
Well, a brochure provides information, and ignorance is the opposite of information.
 Sarlacc Food
10-24-2002, 12:17 PM
****ing science homework... GOT 2 MAKE JAM"!!!!!! ???
 C'jais
10-24-2002, 12:26 PM
That school of yours is quite mad - there ARE NO antonyms to nouns!

Give me just one example.....
 obi
10-24-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by cjais
That school of yours is quite mad - there ARE NO antonyms to nouns!

Give me just one example.....

I did, like 3 posts up. :/
 PhantomHelix
10-24-2002, 12:55 PM
yeah, i suppose ur right, but that is still really weird. i didn't even kno nouns had antonyms.......... oh well, now i do!
 C'jais
10-24-2002, 1:13 PM
Originally posted by obi-wan13

I did, like 3 posts up. :/

Hmmmm.... so right you are :D

The antonym to ignorance might be information, but I still don't feel that theory is bulletproof....

What is the antonym to paper? to air? to a table? WTF? :eyeraise:
 obi
10-24-2002, 1:17 PM
Originally posted by cjais

What is the antonym to paper? to air? to a table? WTF? :eyeraise:

eh, you got me there. :D
 Skate Boy
10-24-2002, 2:28 PM
I hate english! In fact, I don't like any school.:(
 Rogue15
10-24-2002, 5:40 PM
dude, use www.dictionary.com)
 Kstar__2
10-24-2002, 5:46 PM
uhhm, for air, its water:D or space:D or uhhmm..... anti-matter, yeah, that's it!

the same for a table-anti-matter
paper-anti matter

i solved the mystery!!:D
 Tyrion
10-24-2002, 7:11 PM
Originally posted by Rogue15
dude, use www.dictionary.com)

I have been...every dictionary homework I have been using it...even the theasurous.com. And I still cant find those antonyms.

I still want to know what's the antonym of Congress and Charcoal...even bronze for that matter...
 ZBomber
10-24-2002, 9:46 PM
uum... use a caculator. :D :D :D :D :D

sorry, we got easy crap.

I finmished my homework, because I'm smart. :)
 Tyrion
10-24-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
uum... use a caculator. :D :D :D :D :D

sorry, we got easy crap.

I finmished my homework, because I'm smart. :)

finmished

Yep..you are smart...in your little world...:D
 Darth Groovy
10-24-2002, 11:54 PM
You think that's bad try Biological Diversity or Economics. It's all downhill from here little grasshopper. :(
 Rogue15
10-24-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion

I have been...every dictionary homework I have been using it...even the theasurous.com. And I still cant find those antonyms.

I still want to know what's the antonym of Congress and Charcoal...even bronze for that matter...

well, make something up....use prefixes if you have to...

opposite of congress: progress?

opposite of charcoal could be diamond, but i'm not sure.

man i wish my school would've been that interesting. :(
 Tyrion
10-25-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Rogue15

opposite of congress: progress?
:(

The opposite of a group of people passing laws is going foward positively?

:confused:
 WolfmanNCSU
10-25-2002, 2:16 PM
Homer's Odyssey is a pretty good book. A lot better than anything else I read in HS. I have so much HW to do here myself. I have some Computer Ethics, a PERL script, and docuementation with a presentation for both Technical Writing, and Senior Design. Should not be too hard for this weekend.

I remember last year when I took "Theory of Programing Languages." Damn that was the hardest class I have ever taken. We basically made our own programing language, and they are soooo complex its not even funny. I remember pulling all nighters for a solid week with a group of 4 and still not producing anything that even would complile or parse. My God that was a pain. Since then, I have not complained about HW even again, even when I am loaded down. :cool:
 Kstar__2
10-25-2002, 3:56 PM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
You think that's bad try Biological Diversity or Economics. It's all downhill from here little grasshopper. :(

i don't find economics that hard, my first (and last) grade was a A+:D
 SkinWalker
10-25-2002, 4:07 PM
Each Wensday in my english class, our homework is to right the synonym and antonym of my spelling words.

Not to nitpick, but since you are in an English class:

"Wensday" should be Wednesday but, ironically, you used an inappropriate homonym with "right." It should read "write." :D

But just for fun... here are some words that are they're own antonyms:

word-------------Duel Meanings

dike-----------wall; ditch
bad------------negative; good (US slang)
continue------keep on doing; to adjourn
fast------------rapid; unmoving (as in stand fast)
garnish-------to curtail (wages); to enhance (food)
critical---------opposed to; essential to
oversight-----care; error
transparent--obvious; invisible
weather-------to with stand; to wear away
strike----------to miss (baseball); to hit

Oh... an let us not forget:

Skin------------to add skin to (JK model); or take skin from (a cat)

Here are som Homophones (words that sound the same but are opposite)

aural; oral = heard; spoken
erupt; irrupt = burst out; burst in
raise; raze = erect; tear down

In case you didn't notice... I enjoy English and writing. Have fun in school.

Professor SkinWalker
 PhantomHelix
10-25-2002, 4:12 PM
wolfman, you read the oddyssey? thats what we are readin now. god, odysseus was an olden-times pimp. hes no different then all the pimps these days, 'cept he fought monsters instead of the gov't and stuff......

anywho, progress isn't the synonym of congress.....
 SkinWalker
10-25-2002, 4:25 PM
Cjais!

That school of yours is quite mad - there ARE NO antonyms to nouns

The Columbia Guide to Standard American English (1993) says:

An antonym is a word that means the opposite of another word; thus antonym is the antonym of synonym. The related adjectives are antonymous and antonymic; they occur infrequently and mean much the same thing, “like or characteristic of an antonym.” Antonymy is a relatively rare noun meaning “a pair of such opposed terms.”

I'm assuming that your native language is Dutch (though I suppose it could be Frisian or even English for all I know) so grammatical rules are going to be different.

The antonym for bulletproof would be vulnerable. It could also be weak or defenseless.

Nouns can quite easily have antonyms, but most people frown upon antonyms that are different word types (nouns, verbs, adverbs).

SKin :p
 PhantomHelix
10-25-2002, 4:32 PM
skin, i feel this quote perfectly portrays what you just posted....

Dilbert: This changes old shoes into a parsley substitue!
Boss: This looks incredibly brilliant and completely unmarketable!
Dilbert: thanks. i'm technology-driven.

:lol:
 Tyrion
10-25-2002, 4:38 PM
Originally posted by SkinWalker
Cjais!

An antonym is a word that means the opposite of another word; thus antonym is the antonym of synonym. The related adjectives are antonymous and antonymic; they occur infrequently and mean much the same thing, “like or characteristic of an antonym.” Antonymy is a relatively rare noun meaning “a pair of such opposed terms.”

I'm assuming that your native language is Dutch (though I suppose it could be Frisian or even English for all I know) so grammatical rules are going to be different.

The antonym for bulletproof would be vulnerable. It could also be weak or defenseless.

Nouns can quite easily have antonyms, but most people frown upon antonyms that are different word types (nouns, verbs, adverbs).

But still, should my school make us do that for 6th grade???
 Pedantic
10-25-2002, 8:34 PM
word-------------Duel Meanings

Well...since you're on the topic...it's "dual," not duel. :D
 Wes Marrakesh
10-25-2002, 9:27 PM
No, it shouldn't. Hell, we didn't do that in 6th and I thought school was hard ;)
 SkinWalker
10-26-2002, 2:21 AM
Well...since you're on the topic...it's "dual," not duel.

Ha! Got me!

*Steps out ten paces, turns... levels pistol... oh.... wrong dual.

SKin!
 BigTeddyPaul
10-26-2002, 6:14 AM
Hahahah homework. I do not miss those days even though I will have them again in another two or three months. College is a lot easier than high school. Let me restate that. Community College is much easier than High School. The only downside to not being in school is working approx 40 hours a week and worrying about food, a place to live, and why your cat won't stay off your lap when you are playing computer games.

The weirdest books I read in High School were The Green Knight which is an Arthonian book and that one book that was loosely based on the 13th Knight? (Antonio Banderas). It is the one with Grendel where the hero goes to the foreign land and slays the creature that cannot be impaled and stuff. I think it starts with a W.

The Odyssey was a great tale. Most Greek and Roman writings are.

Question: What is the antonym for spam? (dual, triple, etc. affiliation word meanings).

BigTeddyPaul
 C'jais
10-26-2002, 7:14 AM
Cjais!

Hehe.... first of all: In Denmark we speak Danish, yes :rolleyes:

The only nouns that are antonyms and synonyms are the words themselves: "Antonym" and "Synonym"... It just dawned on me, sorry if I sound a bit stupid here....

But- The words "bulletproof", "vulnerable", "weak" and "Defenseless" are all adjectives in my world, not nouns....
 SkinWalker
10-26-2002, 2:02 PM
Hehe.... first of all: In Denmark we speak Danish, yes

Ha! I was thinking you were in the Netherlands.... LOL. THat must be Druid. :-)

SkinWalker is Bulletproof. I'm a Bulletproof SkinWalker. Can be both ;-)

I'm taking German in college and that's really making me think a lot about English.... I'm not used to a language were you can put the subject anywhere in the sentance and the meaning will depend upon the accusative used.

Cya!
Skin
Page: 1 of 1