Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

CMI and Fonts

Page: 1 of 1
 netmonkey
10-16-2002, 12:40 AM
Anyone knows how the fonts worked on CMI? I mean, they had that nice little font, but did the engine create the outline/shadow for the font? or was the outline like a bitmap or other font? What kind of font was the font itself anyway (was it like a bitmap font..?)? I'm guessing it wasn't TTF.

So many questions!
 jannar85
10-16-2002, 4:07 AM
It was ttf fonts... I've been able to extract the font from the game.
 john_doe
10-17-2002, 5:36 PM
AFAIR the fonts in CMI were the .nut files (the format similar to the Insane cutscenes). I think I have (or had) a simple viewer for them...at least I have the specs of the Nut files somewhere on one of my backup-CDs. Maybe I can code a little viewer for the fonts.

The outlined/shadowed fonts had two colors: One for the font color, the other one for the shadow/outline color.

Darn, if I only had more time I could finally realize my Scumm/GrimE tool...but I don't have time.
You only realize how precious time is when you've got none left :)
 Ender
10-17-2002, 11:52 PM
We've got some Nut viewer code in ScummVM (scumm/smush/frenderer.cpp).

I'm not sure how similar the format is against CMI, but it renders the Full Throttle and Dig fonts perfectly.

Originally posted by john_doe
AFAIR the fonts in CMI were the .nut files (the format similar to the Insane cutscenes). I think I have (or had) a simple viewer for them...at least I have the specs of the Nut files somewhere on one of my backup-CDs. Maybe I can code a little viewer for the fonts.

The outlined/shadowed fonts had two colors: One for the font color, the other one for the shadow/outline color.

Darn, if I only had more time I could finally realize my Scumm/GrimE tool...but I don't have time.
You only realize how precious time is when you've got none left :)
 jannar85
10-18-2002, 2:43 AM
Oh... Not ttf font then.... hmmm... But I was able to extract the fonts into ttf.... oh... I guess it was EMI...
 john_doe
10-18-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Ender
We've got some Nut viewer code in ScummVM (scumm/smush/frenderer.cpp).

I'm not sure how similar the format is against CMI, but it renders the Full Throttle and Dig fonts perfectly.

I think the fonts are the same, however, I *think* there was one font that used another codec I didn't find in any The Dig or Full Throttle font.
 netmonkey
10-21-2002, 1:17 AM
how did it make the outlines, though? did it have an outline shadow generator or something or was that a separate font? and I'm guessing the font was bitmap-like right?
 jannar85
11-12-2002, 3:47 AM
AFAIK it was in its own format.... not bitmap...
Chris couldn't add a totally new format, but I guess it's ok.
Page: 1 of 1