Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Scout Trooper WIP

Page: 1 of 2
 monsoontide
09-05-2002, 11:29 AM
Just started on this in what little spare time I have at the mo.

ftp://68.4.22.173/Monsoontide/JK2/ScoutWIP1.jpg
ftp://68.4.22.173/Monsoontide/JK2/ScoutWIP2.jpg
ftp://68.4.22.173/Monsoontide/JK2/ScoutWIP3.jpg
ftp://68.4.22.173/Monsoontide/JK2/ScoutWIP4.jpg

User: tide1
Pass: monsoon1

It's way to high Poly count but will refine it once I've finalized all the shapes.

I plan on cheating a bit owing to time constraints and this being my first attempt at a JK2 player model, so I'm using LUKE's body as a reference for everything (Scale / Caps / #Polys etc)

Plan on building the armour over the next week or two but have many other projects on the go.

Hope you like.

I know there is another scout trooper out there in progress so maybe if you're lucky you'll get two!!

Monsoontide
 monsoontide
09-05-2002, 11:31 AM
Erm... quick note.
If the links don't work to start with, try

ftp://68.4.22.173/Monsoontide/JK2/

Thx
 fat_101
09-05-2002, 11:34 AM
ok i would coment on something but when i click on the pics it displays a "the page cannot be displayed" screen :( , its probably my pc again, can anyone else see it? have u put it straight from ur pc or webspace?

FATTEH
 fat_101
09-05-2002, 11:34 AM
lol u beat me to it :D

FATTEH
 fat_101
09-05-2002, 11:44 AM
ok looks pretty good , all it needs is to be (excuse my expresion) tarted up a bit add detail and possibly a little wear and tear on parts of the helmet such as a blaster mark or bit of dirt would make it alot better ....

FATTEH

BTW beings as this is ur first it looks very good keep up the good work and good luck
 t3rr0r
09-05-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by fat_101
ok looks pretty good , all it needs is to be (excuse my expresion) tarted up a bit add detail and possibly a little wear and tear on parts of the helmet such as a blaster mark or bit of dirt would make it alot better ....
that would be done with the skin. the head is just colourized right now. anyhoo, looking good, monsoon. can't wait to see the body. :D
 monsoontide
09-05-2002, 12:12 PM
That's right t3rr0r, it's just the raw mesh with some coloured parts to help make construction easier. Textures / Skinning will come when the whole thing is built.
I'm more a builder by trade than a painter!!

If anyone can point the way to a few vertex weighting tutorials, I'd be much obliged.

Thx
Monsoontide
 hawk_of_war
09-05-2002, 2:45 PM
I keep running into a password when trying to see the pics.
 fat_101
09-05-2002, 2:46 PM
they r
user:tide1
password: monsoon1

is written on his first post :D

FATTEH
 hawk_of_war
09-05-2002, 2:49 PM
oh sorry, missed that

[edit]
Now I'm getting an access error....
 fat_101
09-05-2002, 3:13 PM
strange im not , i just tried it now and it let me in :confused:

FATTEH
 hawk_of_war
09-05-2002, 4:27 PM
I just tried it again and it worked this time... must have been a momentary server glitch.

[edit]
Looks good, but it seems a tad bit too long. In the movies the eye guard thing (don't know what else to call it) seemed about half an inch, yours is closer to a full inch.
 monsoontide
09-05-2002, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I only have reference pics of front and back plus a 3/4 view.
Does anyone have any links to some other reference pics?
(Mine are from StarWars.com, Rebelscum.com and Yakface.com)

Thanks

Monsoontide
 monsoontide
09-11-2002, 11:43 AM
Hi Everyone,

Well after a break to work on a Sith Infiltrator MD3 for SunBurN's SithEmergence map, I've managed to get an hour during my lunch break today at work to start working on the Biker Scout again.

ScoutWIP5.jpg

Now before you all start - this is simply my hijacking of several different RAVEN models hacked together to create a VERY rough guide for me to work from.
So far the only parts I've actually worked on are the Helmet and I had a little time to start work on the breastplate/backpack - but I need more references - can anyone help?
There are NO textures on this model - I've simple coloured various sections to make modeling easier.

There is still A LOT of work to be done to bring this up to the quality level the community deserves.

Along the way I may need a little help as well - I'm using Lightwave 7.5 for modeling and I don't have 3DS MAX - which I believe is what you need to get a model IN-Game.
Still that's getting ahead of myself.

Comments / Resources appreciated.

Monsoontide
 Padawan_7
09-11-2002, 2:19 PM
Wow!!!! That looks nice! Keep up the good work! :D
 hawk_of_war
09-11-2002, 7:43 PM
Looks good.

P.S. Ignore anything made by Raven. They didn't do a great job on the armor by any means. It'd be better for you to try making your own.
 monsoontide
09-11-2002, 10:17 PM
I'm just using the RAVEN models as a Size/Placement guide. I'm gonna remake mostly everything cos I don't like the way they model parts.

Will hopefully get a little more done during lunch tonight.
However our company BLOCKS ****loads of webpages so I can't upload pix from work.

Monsoontide
 monsoontide
09-12-2002, 11:26 AM
Was looking for references to help me with this model and found this website:
http://www.studiocreations.com/bikerscout/main.html)

It tells you how to create your own Biker Scout costume - quite comprehensive and the diagrams will be exceptionally useful in allowing me to amke the model as acurate as possible.

Monsoontide
 Takeoffyouhoser
09-12-2002, 5:00 PM
I say it looks Fantastic!!

My only negative comment is that the mouthpiece of the helmet is a bit too far out... other than that it is great!!
 hawk_of_war
09-12-2002, 8:25 PM
Yea, I would have complained about that, but I couldn't remember if that was how it looked or not.
 monsoontide
09-14-2002, 4:37 AM
O.K.
Managed to work on this a bit more today using my new references.
It's starting to come together. Slowly replacing all the stolen bits with custom built parts - so far the chest and back armour, the knee guards and the forearm shields.
Still need to work on the belt and the various pouches and I don't like the standard Raven boots - they're not 'Chunky' enough.
Once all the pieces in place I need to optimize the model and try to reduce the poly count as much as possible.
I have made the snout shorter and angled the front edge of the visor shield.
The backpack sits a little low for my tastes (even though this is directly from the ref pics) so will probably move it up a bit.

Will upload the new PIC (it's called ScoutWIP6) when I get home after work cos I can't do it from here. (I'll post a quick update to this thread when I've upped the pic)

Monsoontide
 monsoontide
09-14-2002, 8:59 AM
OK, the latest PIC is up

PIC is called ScoutWIP6.jpg

Monsoontide
 Padawan_7
09-14-2002, 9:33 AM
Impressive! Most impressive! :vadar:

The model is really lookin' great!
 monsoontide
09-20-2002, 5:05 AM
I've just started work on a Blaster for the Scout Trooper (Will post a pic of it when I get a bit more work done). The model is mostly done apart from texturing and I have to check the Polycount against RAVENs guns.
I would like to try to get it in game to replace that AWFUL Bryar pistol.
I know theres's a Blastech in the works as well, so you'll have something to choose from at last!!

I'm currently starting to optimize the Scout Trooper (He's about 3500 polys at the mo) and I'll refine the helmet in particular and various other bits.
I redid the boots so they have heels on them and a chunkier front to them.
The belt also has a little bit more detail to it - not too much though as it's not a really important area.

Then the hard part begins :(
I'm not quite so good with 3DS max as other 3D packages.

Monsoontide
 t3rr0r
09-20-2002, 7:51 AM
i just noticed a couple areas that could use some work if you haven't tweaked these already...
the helmet seems a little too high on the neck.
the "ears" are a tiny bit too high.
he should have black gauntlets, and those white elbow guards or whatever they are should be shorter and higher.

http://www.galacticempiredatabank.com/ScoutTrooperB.jpg)
 monsoontide
09-20-2002, 8:23 AM
Thanks T3rr0r, haven't seen that shot before - however, I've got so many reference shots now and most seem to be just different enough from each other to be annoying!
The vents on the helmet are funny things, they're actually further back and more 'angled' than you can tell from these front shots.

I've been refining the helmet a bit more - trying to cut down on the poly's and trying to get the shape more acurate. I have to do quite a bit more work on the body to get the count low enough though. Still sitting at 3200 polys so far (Without Caps!!!).

Monsoontide
 monsoontide
09-20-2002, 11:17 AM
Hi All,

I've uploaded the latest pix to my FTP site

Pix are called
ScoutWIP7.jpg & ScoutWIP_Blaster.jpg

The Scout now weighs in at 2609 Polys - but I have to check for errors. There is no 'face' on the helmet as I removed the unecessary polys that made up that surface - it will be a texturemap.

Monsoontide
 fat_101
09-20-2002, 12:29 PM
i like it all we need now is a speed bike a moon of endor map and a whole lotta shootin :D

FATTEH
 t3rr0r
09-20-2002, 3:52 PM
Originally posted by monsoontide
Thanks T3rr0r, haven't seen that shot before - however, I've got so many reference shots now and most seem to be just different enough from each other to be annoying!
although, they all definately have black gauntlets... they're just hard to distinguish in some images. maybe you could utilise raven's tie pilot's gauntlets.

also,
http://homepage1.nifty.com/MNO/Images/scout_trooper_1.jpg)
http://homepage1.nifty.com/MNO/Images/scout_trooper_2.jpg)
 Padawan_7
09-20-2002, 5:31 PM
Cool. I love scout trooper blasters!
 Xyphox
09-21-2002, 1:04 AM
Nice! I haven't really looked at this model until now. Wonderful work, keep it up.
 monsoontide
09-21-2002, 4:38 AM
Well fat_101, so far I've made a Sith infiltrator MD3 for SunBurN and a Jedi Starfighter in Radiant and recently I've just finished a Dewback MD3 for my own map, so I don't see that making a Low poly speeder bike MD3 would be too much of a problem - make a nice change from the red swoop bike everyone is using.
In fact it would round out the final archive nicely - A Scout Trooper player model, A Scout Blaster and a Speeder Bike MD3. I think it's easily doable!

:D

Monsoontide
 fat_101
09-21-2002, 10:39 AM
WOOHOO!!!! scoutbike , trooper and blaster is gonna rock!!

You said about maps u made? would u consider making a endor map some time in jkiis life span??( b4 jk3 that is , hopefully in production) u could (i think) use the swamp textures etc outta the game as a basis?
what do u think?

FATTEH
 Padawan_7
10-02-2002, 10:14 AM
Any updates monsoontide?
 monsoontide
10-03-2002, 12:12 PM
Unfortunately Not.

I've been VERY busy recently - work, other projects etc.

But.. don't despair - It will be done as soon as I can manage.
(I have to relearn 3DS Max after a long hiatus from it)

:-)

Monsoontide
 frendon
10-03-2002, 12:17 PM
take your time thanks for doing this model it looks great so far :)
 frendon
10-03-2002, 12:19 PM
hey monsoontide where did you get that infiltrator model that's in your pics?
 monsoontide
10-03-2002, 1:55 PM
I made it ;-)

And as soon as SunBurn releases his Sith Duel map, I'll be releasing the Infiltrator as a prefab, along with the jedi starfighter I also made for his map.
 SupremePain
10-03-2002, 2:03 PM
i cant see the pics u put on :( :(
 Scotchy
10-03-2002, 3:37 PM
Originally posted by SupremePain
i cant see the pics u put on :( :(

It's an ftp, numbnuts. you have to log in using the name and password included with almost all of his posts.
 Hellfire Jedi
10-13-2002, 8:31 PM
ummm did this die or is it ALIVE
 Matt-Liell
10-13-2002, 8:39 PM
GREAT MODEL! Might I ask what program u r using?
 Matt-Liell
10-13-2002, 8:40 PM
if u need a skinner for the model i could help! (provided someone skinmaps it first!)
 monsoontide
10-14-2002, 12:03 AM
It's alive, but I've been focusing on finsihing my ANCHORHEAD map (Which includes the hidden SAGA gamplay mode - see mapping thread for details). Now that it is in final testing stage I hope to have more time to devote to finishing the Scout Trooper Model and doing a speeder bike MD3.

Everything is modeled in Lightwave and converted to MD3 with Milkshape.

I am no 3DS MAX guru and will almost certainly need help SKINNING & BONING/WEIGHTING this guy. Any and all offeres of assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Monsoontide.
 Madjai
10-14-2002, 12:58 AM
by skinning do you mean uvwmapping?
do you have 3dsmax?
 SupremePain
10-14-2002, 8:27 AM
:D the model looks cool dude and ty Scot for telling that FTB thingy
 Matt-Liell
10-14-2002, 8:28 AM
just so u know my skinning offer still stands!:speeder:
:duel:
 SupremePain
10-14-2002, 8:31 AM
monsoontide
that program u use "Lightwave "
where have u gotten it? did u buy it or is it free?:)
 monsoontide
10-14-2002, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the offer Yadu -will get back to you in a week or so once my Map is finished (Release date NOV 1st)

Never heard of Lightwave!!!

It's been used to animate all sorts of things you may have seen including R2D2 flying through the droid factory on Geonosis!

There is a demo version available from
http://www.lightwave3d.com/)
(It's a full version but the number of points/polygons is restricted - The full version retails around US$1595!!!)
Check out the Gallery!

There is also a tutorial on using LIGHTWAVE to build stuff for UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2003.

Anyways it's a fantastic modeling program - I don't find it so obscure as Maya or 3DSMAX. Objects are easily portable to other formats.

Monsoontide.
 Madjai
10-14-2002, 11:27 AM
ahh you didnt answer my questions.
if you do have 3dsmax i can uvwmap, tag and set up the heirarchy for you, but i dont want to weight him, too long and boring. so if you do have 3dsmax i can do all that and send it back to you to weight.
Page: 1 of 2