Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Strange garage screenshot

Page: 1 of 1
 morshem
08-14-2002, 1:10 AM
Yesterday I played Grim Fandango for maybe the fourth or fifth time, and when I walked into the garage, the screen has suddenly changed into this: http://www.geocities.com/morshem/garage.jpg)
What is that supposed to mean?

edit: apparently the IMG tag doesn't work.
edit 2: and apparently my link doesn't work either. But you probably know what I'm talking about.
 Metallus
08-14-2002, 1:16 AM
That, my friend, would be Glottis's dog house, a secret room which I thought was only accessible when using SCUMM Revisited (a program for viewing the code and individual files of LucasArts games). Very interesting :)! There's more info on secret stuff like that at the SCUMMrev site (http://scummrev.mixnmojo.com).
 morshem
08-14-2002, 1:17 AM
Why did they put that there?
 Metallus
08-14-2002, 1:18 AM
It's just a secret joke, put in by nerdy programmers so that nerdy fans can uncover them years later ;).
 GendoTheGreat
08-14-2002, 8:54 AM
The doghouse picture is the one you see when you switch to view a room from above in dev. mode.
 Darth Eggplant
08-14-2002, 4:08 PM
:jawa LOL:jawa
Gendo that's why you sent me
that dog house picture.
I could not for the Life of me,
(or Fandango) for the Death of me
figure it out.
I am still hopeless trying to get eva
to yell at manny for playing with the
elevators, no luck yet,
and even though fun, there is no way
unchapperoned am I going to fiddle
with win directories and stuff
just to see neat stuff.
I am willing to take people's
word on this.

Also morshem it sounds like maybe
your copy is wonky, maybe you should
contact lucasarts for tech help.
 mogul
08-19-2002, 4:58 PM
Originally posted by Metallus
It's just a secret joke, put in by nerdy programmers so that nerdy fans can uncover them years later ;).

Nerdy? Hmmm, I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.

Glottis' doghouse was the very first background in the game. It's placeholder art, aka "programmer art" meant to indicate very clearly that art is missing where it was expected... Testers knew to look for it and report it as a missing-art bug.

As someone else mentioned, if you see it, you probably somehow got into an overhead camera mode. Congratulations, you found a bug! During development, we used top-down shots to help lay out walkable areas. However, those shots aren't useful in the finished game so they were taken out when we needed to fit the game onto the CDs.

Bret Mogilefsky
GF Lead Programmer
Doghouse Artist Extraordinaire
 GendoTheGreat
08-19-2002, 5:39 PM
Sort of like a default texture?
 mogul
08-19-2002, 5:58 PM
Originally posted by GendoTheGreat
Sort of like a default texture?

Exactly so.
 Metallus
08-19-2002, 7:47 PM
Originally posted by mogul
Nerdy? Hmmm, I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.I...sincerely apologize. It's awesome to see official people visiting these boards, and I meant no offense. I'm sorry, this was very unexpected; I really didn't think that someone from the GF team would venture in here :(. I truely hope I haven't discouraged you from future visits.
 mogul
08-19-2002, 8:58 PM
Originally posted by Metallus
I...sincerely apologize.

Oh hey, no sweat, I was just being funny. I'm not bothered at all. Relax!
 telarium
08-19-2002, 11:16 PM
Hey Bret! Long time no see. What are you up to these days? Still at Sony?
 ZaXeriaw
08-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Where is this secret room??

------------------------------

Reply:Yesterday I played Grim Fandango for maybe the fourth or fifth time, and when I walked into the garage, the screen has suddenly changed into this: http://www.geocities.com/morshem/garage.jpg)
What is that supposed to mean?

edit: apparently the IMG tag doesn't work.
edit 2: and apparently my link doesn't work either. But you probably know what I'm talking about.
 Tall Guy
08-20-2002, 12:48 PM
strange how everyone is in here all of a sudden! heh ;)
 mogul
08-20-2002, 1:21 PM
Originally posted by telarium
Hey Bret! Long time no see. What are you up to these days? Still at Sony?

Yes, still at Sony. Been very busy ahead of the network adapter release, which is happening on August 27th. Occasionally when I need a break I go poking around through Grim Fandango sites, which is how I found myself here. I sent Tim the two Grim Fandango songs and asked if we should donate money to get those guys treatment. =) Sorry I missed you at E3... Very busy time.
 Sanspoof
08-20-2002, 2:42 PM
I like Easter Eggs and mistakes and that. I heard there was one where you use the cards on Eva, then quickly turn around and do it while turning. Then Manny will say what Eva just said! Ain't got it to work yet though. And everyone knows of when Manny has a balloon and he makes a noise while walking down the corridor.

Oh, and one more thing. Take this Sprouter. You might need it nowadays. The GF Network forum ain't the quaint little place she used to be...
 ZaXeriaw
08-20-2002, 4:46 PM
If you don't know it... Confused is the best band ever.... Wait and see... One day we are the greates band on the eath... ;)

-------------------

Reply: I sent Tim the two Grim Fandango songs and asked if we should donate money to get those guys treatment.
 Tall Guy
08-21-2002, 5:58 PM
hey! dont forget me when you're famous! :D:D:D
 MeddlingMonk
08-21-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by mogul
However, those shots aren't useful in the finished game so they were taken out when we needed to fit the game onto the CDs.

Not quite all of 'em. Three overhead shots are still in there. ;)

It's always interesting to see things that have been left on disks that aren't part of the final game. The most amazing in that respect is Ultima IX which has over thirty maps from the early stages of development on the CDs. Very interesting to walk around those...but a little depressing, too, to see how much that game was scaled back.
 Darth Eggplant
08-22-2002, 1:31 AM
hey is it true Sony
is doing a movie
of Roman Dirge's
Lenore the adventures
of a cute little dead girl?
I have a flash movie
from the SOny site.
 Isis Kaldara
08-23-2002, 7:11 AM
Shi-chan can't get Eva to yell at Manny about the elevator.
 GendoTheGreat
08-23-2002, 7:38 AM
^ It's that cute li'l dead kid.

Who is "Shi"?
 Isis Kaldara
08-23-2002, 8:14 AM
Shi-chan is me. I refer to myself in third person as Shi-chan or "Little Death"
 Darth Eggplant
08-23-2002, 11:42 AM
I will make you a shi-chan
walking avi today for sure today
you cute little adventuring dead girl.

you all should read
Roman Dirge's comic Lenore
you would get a kick out of it.:jawa
 Sanspoof
08-23-2002, 2:44 PM
I can't get a good Sanspoof head for my animated avatar. You can find a screenshot of him in GFN's screenshot part. He's the colourful cat statue in the glass case. Can't miss him!
 Gabez
08-24-2002, 8:40 AM
Also: when you go out of the cat racing place, via the route that takes you to the garage where the Bone Wagon is stored, there's an invisible object that Manny becomes interested. You can use it with anything, and when Manny looks at it he just goes "hmmm".

However, this has probably been discovered a million times before.
 Isis Kaldara
08-24-2002, 2:49 PM
Really? Hmmm. Never heard of that one... BTW, I think we all know who Sanspoof is... My most favorite music out of the whole game is the song that plays when you look at the Case or the Photo.
 Xyco
08-27-2002, 1:31 PM
To mogul:
Hey... It could be really cewl if you guys would donate money to us... Maybe not to give us a treatment, but to give us a studio, so we could make even more songs about GF... :D
 Sanspoof
08-27-2002, 1:56 PM
Everyone should know Sanspoof by now. I made my own little introduction to my (hopefully, not promising) upcoming website. It has the voices of (In appearence order):

Manny
Maximino
Raoul
Glottis

I hope the site will be availible SOMETIME.
 Darth Eggplant
08-29-2002, 12:25 AM
I have a shot of Sanspoof
he is in the background
of one of my sites pages
and as soon as life stops
interrupting I will do you
a sanspoof avi.
keep meaning to work on the site
then stuff gets in the way.
be patient:cool:
 lucas skywalker
12-08-2006, 2:09 PM
how i get in the secret room
 Sallim
12-09-2006, 5:40 AM
try get yourself a time machine and ask 4 years ago :D

nah sorry I dunno, morshem said he has played it about the fourth time, so maybe it will be triggered somehow. I know you can access the room through debug commands.

I am suresome details should be available here at the board.
 itchythesamurai
12-09-2006, 11:14 PM
 King Dando
12-11-2006, 8:48 PM
Ah so thats what it is, I found it a few months ago when I was playing around with the keyboard shortcuts in debug using the GF launcher, can't remember whay key I pressed though *thinks*
Page: 1 of 1