Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Request: Don't call him Emperor Palpatine!

Page: 1 of 1
 zworqy
08-12-2002, 7:07 PM
His name never was Emperor Palpatine. He was Chancellor Palpatine, then Darth Sidious or Emperor Sidious. Never Emperor Palpatine. Please remember that now.
 Exterminator234
08-12-2002, 7:20 PM
Originally posted by zworqy
His name was Emperor Palpatine. He was Chancellor Palpatine, then Darth Sidious or Emperor Sidious. Never Emperor Sidious. Please remember that now.

huh?
 Pad
08-12-2002, 7:25 PM
i think huh would be the best thing to say

in ep1/2 hes chancellor palpatine/darth sidious
but in ep4-6 he IS emperor palpatine

so wtf r u trying to say?
 zworqy
08-12-2002, 7:33 PM
When he betrayed the Jedi Council and became sith he changed his name to (Darth) Sidious. Only after that he was proclaimed Emperor.

BTW, name ONE instance where he wsa called Palpatine in the first trilogy. Can't remember any. Probably since there was none.:p
 Sivy
08-12-2002, 7:38 PM
Emperor Palpatine,Emperor Palpatine, Emperor Palpatine,Emperor Palpatine, Emperor Palpatine, Emperor Palpatine, Emperor Palpatine, Emperor Palpatine, Emperor Palpatine, Emperor Palpatine, Emperor Palpatine, Emperor Palpatine, Emperor Palpatine, Emperor Palpatine, Emperor Palpatine,
:lightning

I sorry your request is denied!
 Pad
08-12-2002, 7:38 PM
hm, i got my own star wars book to prove im right.
 Sivy
08-12-2002, 7:43 PM
When he betrayed the Jedi Council and became sith he changed his name to (Darth) Sidious. Only after that he was proclaimed Emperor.

BTW, name ONE instance where he wsa called Palpatine in the first trilogy. Can't remember any. Probably since there was none.:p

You mean Chancellor Palpatine proclaimed himself Emperor,
thus becomming Emperor Palpatine.

Plus, nowhere does it say he was ever part of the Jedi Council.
 Breton
08-12-2002, 7:48 PM
...and it says nowhere that he is Darth Sidious

You assume too much
 Arkum
08-12-2002, 7:52 PM
And all this time I though his name was "the old bastard". :rolleyes:

ROTJ

Vader: "The old bastard does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation."

Commander: "But he asks the impossible, I need more help."

Vader: "Then perhaps you can tell him when he arrives."

Commander: "The old bastard is coming here?"

Vader: "That is correct, commander. And he is most displeased with your apparent languid progress."

Commander: "We shall double our efforts."

Vader: "I hope so commander, for your sake. The old bastard is not as forgiving as I am."

Who cares what anyone calls him.
Sidious. Palpatine.
Who cares. :rolleyes:
 Sivy
08-12-2002, 8:10 PM
Originally posted by JM Qui-Gon Jinn
...and it says nowhere that he is Darth Sidious

You assume too much

Ok this is the last time I take part in the Sidious/ Palpatine debate.

Ep I, Qui-Gonn’s funeral.

Yoda: ‘always two there are, no more, no less, a Master and an apprentice’

Mace: ‘so which was destroyed, the master or the apprentice’

Close-up of Palpatine,

Fade to black.
 Breton
08-12-2002, 8:26 PM
Well, lets see it this way:

After C3PO says "They will never get me on one of those dreadful starships!" And then they show Anakin. Does this mean that Anakin is a starship? Nooooooo.
 MaulerZ
08-12-2002, 8:28 PM
You could call him a flaming peice of **** for all i care call him what ya want........
 zworqy
08-12-2002, 8:41 PM
I repeat, Palpatine/Sidious didn't proclaim himself emperor until after he changed his name. And sith don't wan't to be recognised by their birth name. Or as Vader put it:

"That name means nothing to 'mee', now"

And Sidious destroyed Palpatine in the same way as Vader (almost) destroyed Anakin.

SivyB:
Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious, Emperor Sidious.

*throws all Emperor Sidious'es into SivyB's lap.*
TAKE THAT!
 Sivy
08-12-2002, 8:56 PM
I see now what you are saying. But George Lucas didn't come up with the name Sidious untill he penned Ep I. Ep IV - VI, he is known as Emperor Palpatine, not just in EU books, but the book adaptation of A New Hope written by George Lucas.
 Elegy
08-13-2002, 3:12 AM
But he DIDN'T quite abandon the name Palpatine entirely as the others did their names. After all, he wasn't declaring that the people in the republic suddenly call him Senator Sidious. If what we know is correct, then the Empire is pretty much the Republic...just in a corrupted form with the senate completely dissolved at the beginning of Ep4. Thus the people he controlled are more or less the same people he lead as a senator and chancellor. Thus they all still know him as Palpatine.

And if you'd like to argue with that, StarWars.com even refers to him as Emperor Palpatine in the character section. Read the last few paragraphs of Palpatine's description. Despite any arguement made for or against whatever side of this little discussion, I think we'd all be in agreement that whatever the official site says is beyond dispute.
 Darth Groovy
08-13-2002, 3:20 AM

According to the Terry Brooks novelization for The Phantom Menace, Sidious was a direct descendent of a long line of Sith who wound up destroying each other. Sideouse like his ancestors chose to remain in seclusion taking on one pupil at a time. No where in the book did it say he had any part in the Jedi Council.....sorry.
 Nebelwerfer_
08-13-2002, 10:53 AM
When he betrayed the Jedi Council and became sith he changed his name to (Darth) Sidious. Only after that he was proclaimed Emperor. BTW, name ONE instance where he wsa called Palpatine in the first trilogy. Can't remember any. Probably since there was none.

BTW... YOU name one instance in the new movies where it says that he betrayed the jedi council and became sith. I cant remeMber that ever happening, probably cause it DIDNT. DONT JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS ON WHAT YOU THINK HAPPEND

If you were alive during the original trilogy then you would have known that his name was emperor palpatine, that what his action figure said, the books said palpatine, and i'm pretty sure the credits say emperor palpatine.... AND THIS IS IN 1983!!!
SO STFU!!!
 Darth-Nasty
08-13-2002, 11:01 AM
does it really matter what we call him. we all know who he is.

people can call darth vader anakin skywalker

and darth tyranus count dooku

why not emporer palpatine?
 zworqy
08-13-2002, 6:14 PM
Originally posted by Nebelwerfer_

BTW... YOU name one instance in the new movies where it says that he betrayed the jedi council and became sith. I cant remeMber that ever happening, probably cause it DIDNT. DONT JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS ON WHAT YOU THINK HAPPEND

First, do you really have to be a member of something to betray it? Didn't think so.

What I meant was: Palpatine helped Queen Amidala, and thereby also the Jedis, against the evil Trade Federation.

Later, he turned to the Dark Side, trained Maul and started slaying Jedis. (Or at least he tried to...)

BTW 1: On starwars.com, He is listed as just Palpatine. Not Emperor Palpatine. But maybe he's called that elsewhere on the site.

BTW 2: when I browsed through starwars.com I noticed that Palpatine is 1.73m tall but Sidious is 1.78m. Hmmmm...what could that mean?
 Darth Talliusc
08-13-2002, 6:20 PM
im positive that in one of original trilogy movies they call him emperor palpatine, just gotta find the quote.
 Nebelwerfer_
08-13-2002, 7:33 PM
BTW 2: when I browsed through starwars.com I noticed that Palpatine is 1.73m tall but Sidious is 1.78m. Hmmmm...what could that mean?

we dont really know what the height difference is. But any body whos not an idiot knows that palpy and sid are the same person, if not clones, why would they be played by the same actor???

If you were around during the 80's then and old enough to be into starwars, then you would know the emperor as "emperor palpatine" that's his frickin name in the original trilogy.
emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine emperor palpatine :emperor: :holosid: :emperor: :emperor: :lightning:
 teutonicknight
08-13-2002, 7:49 PM
His name never was Emperor Palpatine. He was Chancellor Palpatine, then Darth Sidious or Emperor Sidious. Never Emperor Palpatine. Please remember that now.

I would, but no.

I would also argure, but every else has already said what i was going to say.
 Psionic Jedi
08-13-2002, 8:00 PM
But Sidious was never mentioned in EP4-6, and even if you said Sith don't like to be called by their Sithy names then why is Anakin called Vader? Logically since Sidious was never mentioned, he must have a NAME following "Emperor ------"

I THINK THE EMPEROR IS CALLED EMPEROR PALPATINE IN...

The game TIE Fighter during an Opening cutscene.

However they keep saying the games aren't Canon so... :o
 WD_Rage
08-13-2002, 11:28 PM
Read some of the books. You'll find plenty references to Emporer Palpatine.
 Kent H
08-14-2002, 12:53 AM

What I meant was: Palpatine helped Queen Amidala, and thereby also the Jedis, against the evil Trade Federation.

Later, he turned to the Dark Side, trained Maul and started slaying Jedis. (Or at least he tried to...)

WTF? Palpatine turned to the Darkside and trained Maul as a Sith (from a baby no less) LONG before Amidala had even been born. Not to mention he, you know, SHOWS UP AS SIDIOUS during the whole conflict between the Naboo and the Trade Federation. He's the one who provoked the TF into starting the blockade in the first place!
 Darth Groovy
08-14-2002, 3:09 AM
I think we should all just call him "Josh" and end this silly debate.
 JrKASperov
08-14-2002, 3:43 PM
I can surely remember people calling him emperor Palpatine in the movies:rolleyes:
 zworqy
08-14-2002, 6:19 PM
Since Palpatine and Sidious hasn't officially been declared to be the same person, I doubt the Emperor was ever called Palpatine in the movies...
 mima kake
08-14-2002, 6:31 PM
 Nebelwerfer_
08-14-2002, 7:12 PM
thank you mimakake, there you have it, proof from starwars.com that the emperor's name was palpatine, and it's not even under the EU section, it's under the movie section.

ok this discussion is over.
I think the reason you started this whole thread is because you were never alive during the OT. How old are you, 14?
I am only asking you this during the OT, every one knew him as emperor palpatine, i've heard interviews from GL in which he's said the word "emperor palpatine" numerous times.
sorry, but your wrong, no hard feelings.
as for the height difference, sidious walks with a slouch.
I mean THEY ARE PLAYED BY THE SAME ACTOR FOR GODS SAKE!!!
 zworqy
08-14-2002, 8:07 PM
Originally posted by Nebelwerfer_
as for the height difference, sidious walks with a slouch.

Maybe, but Sidious is the TALLEST, not the SHORTEST.

Sidious: 1,78m (5' 10'')
Palpatine: 1,73m (5' 8'')

And I never said they WERE the same person, just that it all is a little strange; their heights and that starwars.com has listed both Sidious and Palpatine in their databank...

Anyway, I'll try to refrain myself from arguing any more in this thread.
 RpTheHotrod
08-14-2002, 9:02 PM
Who cares?

:)
Page: 1 of 1