Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

func_button trigger_multiple question

Page: 1 of 1
 MDL_Sas
07-23-2002, 12:26 AM
I have a button opening a double door with a multiple trigger supposidly use_button value= the actual button but in the game I don't have to press the use key and it works but says

warning: entity used itself

can anyone help me with changing that so where the use key opens my door without having the warning?
 Wes Marrakesh
07-23-2002, 12:34 AM
wouldn't you have to target the trigger at the button/door?
 RichDiesal
07-23-2002, 1:11 AM
Don't ever target anything AT a trigger_multiple. That serves no point.

Just target the func_button directly at the func_door (nothing in between, nothing on the side) and it should work fine...
 MDL_Sas
07-23-2002, 2:29 AM
but thats what i have =\ trigger to button button to door..
 idontlikegeorge
07-23-2002, 2:32 AM
um, no trigger to button to door

trigger to door! the button is the trigger!
 Emon
07-23-2002, 2:57 AM
If you trigger a trigger won't the trigger that was the target of the first trigger get triggered?
 MDL_Sas
07-23-2002, 4:39 AM
Cause if I compile the map with just the button as the trigger it doesn't open the door.. =\
 dimi30
07-23-2002, 10:05 AM
With func button the trigger is not needed. You just trigger the button directly to the door.
 RichDiesal
07-23-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Emon
If you trigger a trigger won't the trigger that was the target of the first trigger get triggered?
If you trigger a trigger, the trigger that was the target of the first trigger should be triggered, but sometimes a trigger getting triggered causes weird triggerings to occur. *phew*

Anyway, that's probably what's causing his error. It would technically WORK (and apparantly does), but you don't need to do it. The thing is, with a func_button, all you need to do is push up against the button to activate it... I'm betting you put in both because you want to use the USE_BUTTON.

I would suggest then, not to use the func_button, and instead just target the trigger_multiple directly at the door.
 MDL_Sas
07-23-2002, 12:44 PM
not sure if it will work for me yet but I'll try it =) but whats the value of the use_button supposed to be set to?
 RichDiesal
07-23-2002, 8:49 PM
Value? Umm... checked. :D

When you check USE_BUTTON, it will add a spawnflags key and whatever value is attached to it. No need to enter anything manually.
 MDL_Sas
07-24-2002, 6:39 AM
To tell ya the truth I found out what the warning was.. and actually it works better this way.. wonder why..

the warning was because somehow the team doors where targeted at each other.. must have had them both selected during ctrl-k.. anyways

I can't seem to get the trigger_multiple with key use_button to work.. if i add it in with no value and then compile i can stand there pressing the use key tell i am blue in the face and the door will not budge..

The problem with the use_button was it was placed flat to wall and in between to little pillars which made it to far way for it to be touched(the purpose to make it a hidden button to open a door to a clan council room elevator and shaft)

well if I use a trigger.. with the key use_button and the value= to the targetname of the func_button it allows me to press the switch even being to far away so in actuallity it works great the way I had it supposidly errored =)

thank you all for the help it was greatly appreciated..
 MDL_Sas
07-24-2002, 7:45 AM
What do you mean check use_button.. cause where does it allow you to check off what you want enter in the entity screen.. or if it does I am clueless how to do it..
 RichDiesal
07-24-2002, 12:15 PM
http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/images/usebutton.jpg)

You actually need to make the trigger_multiple where the player will be STANDING, not where you would want the physical button to be. Check out my tutorial on Switches for more information.
 MDL_Sas
07-24-2002, 4:06 PM
well.. anyways i found out something new though.. thnx rich..

I kinda like having the trigger use_button pointing at the button so i don't have to walk into it.. and it works just great now.. so hey.. will see how the fans like it.. :)
Page: 1 of 1