Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Battle Droid in-game!!!

Page: 1 of 1
 MacD
07-21-2002, 10:17 AM
Well, I finally did it! I got my battle droid in the game! And for you who shout: "No, that cannot be, he is mistaken!" I have something to make you say "these ARE the droids we're looking for."!

roger_roger! (http://macd.netfirms.com/ingame_droid_mk1.JPG)

As you can tell, I'm quite exited; this is my first actual model for a game (appart from a failed NWN test character and my tonfa saber) and I think it's turning out quite well.

But there's still a bit I'm gonna do before I release it:
-make a good set of skins (presently it's working with two crappy test maps)
-weight the fingers
-get all the sounds together (I've only got a push sound, the "you're under arrest" and two "roger-roger"'s: any help would be appreciated)

Anyway, I'll be looking up those commmands for 3rd person view and changing the viewpoint to get some real screenshots...I just had to post this one asap :)

And on a final note I've got to say thanks to all the people who have given advice over here!
 agentj64
07-21-2002, 10:21 PM
AWESOME:D
 BucMan55
07-21-2002, 10:24 PM
All I can say is great work. I assume you'll be doing a yellow and red droid??

And if you do bot support, it would be nice if they were regular gunners(with force speed, jump, push, and pull)....

ANy chance of a Super Battle Droid???
 PIo Koon
07-21-2002, 10:26 PM
well..id assume he would keep that tan...and for CTF skins..blue and red

u could also make another skin urself..just recolor..like

Yellow

Green
Orange(NO PURPLE!! =OD)
 Eklin
07-22-2002, 12:50 AM
Wow! Excellent!
From that screen, the skin does look like it needs a little work, but good job anyways.
 Anavel Gato
07-22-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by MacD
...Anyway, I'll be looking up those commmands for 3rd person view and changing the viewpoint to get some real screenshots...

cg_thirdPerson 1/0: switch between the 1st and 3rd person
cg_thirdPersonAngle
cg_thirdPersonRange

cg_draw2D 1/0: hides/unhides the HUD

You can get a nice frontal view with these 4 commands:

cg_thirdPersonAngle 180
cg_thirdPersonRange 90
cg_thirdpersonPitchOffset 20
cg_thirdpersonVertOffset -20
 MacD
07-22-2002, 2:05 AM
Thanks for the support, guys! And thanks to Anavel Goto, I'll put up some more screenshots soon :)

Also, someone put up a couple of sounds on this forum recently...two things: who where you (cos I'm gonna use them, and I want to give credit where it's due) and secondly...do you have any more? Footsteps, death sounds....just have a look in the sounds/char/modelname/misc directory in the assets.pk3 to see which I need. The help would most definitly be appreciated and make for a cooler model to be released sooner :)
 inbredyokel
07-22-2002, 2:16 AM
Awsome. Don't forget the rust-colored geonosis battle droid skin. I'm afraid footsteps can't be changed though, they're hard coded :( Something we discovered while doing maw.
 MacD
07-22-2002, 2:57 AM
Here's another screenie:

Take that! (http://macd.netfirms.com/roger_mk5_5.jpg)

As for skins...well, that starts today...first up is just a TPM skin...the commander, with the yellow skullcap. We'll just see from there :)

BTW, I was wondering if maybe the sounds.cfg could also add a line pointing to sound/player/footsteps in the assets0.pk3...would that help? I mean, it already points to sound/char/misc...did you guys also try fscking around with that? I mean, there's quite a bit I can do for the misc sounds, but I want more, more, MORE! Mwhahahahaha! Uh...well, you know what I mean :)

Anyway, first up is skinning, then weighting (of hands, for example :( ), then sounds and botsupport. Hell, I'm just happy to see my model in game :) It's just so cool to see something you've made hacking and slashing :)

BTW, I did say this was my first model, right? Well, any help/tips/whatever is really appreciated! But leave the requests for later, when I've got the basic model done :)
 Matariel
07-22-2002, 3:35 AM
it looks like a great model, but screw multiplayer for now, make a mod that swaps all the stormtroopers in th SP game for battledroids!! ive wanted to hack the crap out of those dudes ever since ep1!!
 King Jezuz Pie
07-22-2002, 4:07 AM
I'm not quite sure what you mean MacD, but changing the footstep spunds to any others doesn't work somehow, no matter what you do...
 MacD
07-22-2002, 5:12 AM
I seem to remember something about a model which did manage to replace the footstep sounds, but by doing so, removed other footstep sounds...or something like that. Or maybe that's from the NWN discussion somewhere else :)

Anyway, some more screenshots...I'm sorry about the quality, they seem a little dark, but that will just have to do:

http://macd.netfirms.com/r1.jpg)
http://macd.netfirms.com/r2.jpg)
http://macd.netfirms.com/r3.jpg)
http://macd.netfirms.com/r4.jpg)
http://macd.netfirms.com/r5.jpg)
http://macd.netfirms.com/r6.jpg)
http://macd.netfirms.com/r7.jpg)
http://macd.netfirms.com/r8.jpg)

And now I'm off to skin a cat...uh, battle droid :)
 Hanch Saode
07-22-2002, 8:07 AM
Damn that looks good! Can't wait to put a bunch of those into the Geonesian Arena.....it will definitley rock!

Keep up the very good work!
 ALIEN_JL
07-22-2002, 8:24 AM
Hmm... Jedi Battle Droids :rolleyes:

With electro mechanic force powers... ?
 Eklin
07-22-2002, 9:40 AM
Your fingers are too straight. It doesn't look like he's gripping his lightsaber at all.
 Twisted Vertex
07-22-2002, 9:49 AM
To brighten those bad boys up, run them through photoshop and do a brightess/ contrast.
 Anavel Gato
07-22-2002, 12:45 PM
Schweeeeeeet MacD!!!!:D

I'll look for some sounds tonight.
 Grafox
07-22-2002, 1:07 PM
Originally posted by musashi122
To brighten those bad boys up, run them through photoshop and do a brightess/ contrast.

He actually has a point.

Anyways, can't wait to get my hands on this!
 Anavel Gato
07-22-2002, 1:48 PM
Instead of changing the brightness and contrast I usually create a layer on top of my layer skins that is completely black and change the opacity of that layer.
That way you can change the opacity (which is pretty much the brightness) after you've tested it in-game a lot of times. With changing the brightness and contrast it's less easy to go back because you either apply it to the flattened image or the individual layers.
 MacD
07-22-2002, 2:06 PM
Thanks, Anavel, but we're talking about the screenshots :) And it's too late; I'd rather work on the model than tweak the shots :)

Oh, Eklin...please read my posts. It says something about hands...
 Grafox
07-22-2002, 2:13 PM
Originally posted by MacD
Thanks, Anavel, but we're talking about the screenshots :) And it's too late; I'd rather work on the model than tweak the shots :)

Oh, Eklin...please read my posts. It says something about hands...

I actually think we are talking about the skin it self.
 Smart_Saber
07-22-2002, 3:03 PM
Looks great! Keep it up.
 remark 666
07-22-2002, 3:29 PM
model is good but skin needs work
well done mate, you're on your way ^_^
 yoda rox
07-22-2002, 11:38 PM
ONE WORD: AWESOME! :D
:bdroid2::saberr::syoda: :thumbsup: :spin: :swrd2:
 Sebulba-Dug
07-22-2002, 11:47 PM
Wow.
 Xyphox
07-23-2002, 12:32 AM
For future reference: I think the reason those screenshots were dark is because you were the print screen button, right? Use the screenshot command to take screenshots. You can find this on one of Lucas Arts' web pages. Bind a key, like the k key to the screenshot command. Go into the command console (press
shift + ~) and type bind k screenshot. Then when your in the game just press the k key and it will take a screenshot.
 tom_m525
07-23-2002, 5:35 AM
The model looks excellent, but i agree that the hand could do with gripping the saber a bit better!

Any idea how long it will take to skin and release it?
 MacD
07-23-2002, 5:58 AM
Wow...do you people read? I mean, I said in my first post that there was only a crappy test texture on the thing (whadaya want for 25 kb :) )! And in same post I state that what needs to be done is, amongst other things, make the skins and weight the hands!

Anyway, the skinning is three quarters of the way done; all that remains is the torso and the hands. After that, I'll weigh the fingers (god, am I not looking forward to that :( ). And then version 1.0 goes out the door :)

My thanks goes out to those who did read and offered their advice; Xyphox, that worked! The screenshots taken via console are MUCH better :)

Oh, and btw; does anyone know if, when using custom sounds, you have to replace all the sounds in sounds/chars/modelname/misc? Or can I just use a few new sounds, and have the rest in that folder be jk2 default?
 Anavel Gato
07-23-2002, 8:20 AM
I'm not sure if you ned to replace all files or that you can just add a couple.

I think you have to add all new ones since in the sounds.cfg file you specifiy the directory path (e.g. sounds\char\bdroid) that Jk2 will look in.
I don't know if you can specify more than 1 directory path in this file. If you can't what JK2 sounds directory would it use for the sounds that weren't supplied in the PK3?
You can test that really fast by only adding 1 sound file for for instance taunt and adding the sound.cfg file that points to the directory where the taunt is in. Slice up your droid and you'll hear what sound you get for pain and dying :)

Weighting of the vertices in the fingers does suck :( I'm redoing that in my Padme model. I hide the polys of the 4 fingers that I am not doing and the bones for those 4 fingers too so the viewport isn't clogged with stuff I don't need to see. It still takes me 1 hour to do 1 hand :(

It blows that you can't copy the vertes weights from one model to another that is exactly the same model and uses similar bones. I hope they'll include this in a next release of the SDK since it should be easy to code. Comparing models for similar vertex count and vertex number is done with morphing too. I'm sure that somewhere the bones per object are listed somewhere too. In that list the "r_" just needs to be renamed to "l_".
This would save soooo much time because in a lot of models the arms, hands and legs are mirrored.
 Mix_Master2k
07-23-2002, 10:34 AM
awsome..simply awsome. Seems the tables have turned though...Droids have the lightsaber now. They could probably put up more of a fight now :) nice work cant wait to download it
 12thMonkey
07-23-2002, 9:04 PM
The droid looks great but the way he is holding the weapons needs to be tweaked and the skin isn't that detailed perhaps some battle damage could be added.
Page: 1 of 1