Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Dig Music!!!

Page: 1 of 1
 ServantOfGlaaki
07-15-2002, 3:32 AM
Hi there,

I've always been a fan of the dig, mainly because of its amazing music. Just recently I discovered the music player for the dig. I wish to 'update' the player, adding a GUI, and also a feature to encode the audio to a file. However, I don't know how to decode the music from the file digmusic.bun into the bytes I can send to a soundcard/file. If possible, could anyone describe the decoding algorithm used? Thanks. I need, somehow, to get the data into a format that can be written to a soundcard or file.
 CCCP
07-15-2002, 10:44 AM
That's what I'm trying to find out too, though for ScummVM.
If I discover anything more about it I'll reply here.

CCCP
 ServantOfGlaaki
07-16-2002, 1:08 AM
Thanks CCCP. I E-mailed the creator of the music player the other day, but I haven't had a reply from him yet. *crosses fingers*

If I ever find it out, I'll let you know.
 Faceless007
07-16-2002, 4:06 AM
Back in February, when all the files at LucasHacks were offline, I also e-mailed him asking if he could send the player to me. No reply yet.
 ServantOfGlaaki
07-17-2002, 1:36 AM
Originally posted by Faceless007
Back in February, when all the files at LucasHacks were offline, I also e-mailed him asking if he could send the player to me. No reply yet.

Damn... that kind of ruins that idea. Does anyone know if it is possible to decompile the dig player?
 john_doe
07-17-2002, 8:20 AM
Hiho,

few days after the The Dig music player came out I mailed the guy who coded it and asked for the source code, and got it some days later.
Essentially it's just some disassebled code (asm output from IDA) wrapped up with C code, i.e. the real algorithm to decode the data is not really there, it's just a copy from the original exe. The player also can only decode some of the used codecs.

I don't know if it's ok to hand out the source code, maybe I'll up it somewhere to d/l in 1-2 weeks if he hasn't replied to you yet then.
 ServantOfGlaaki
07-19-2002, 1:51 AM
Hi there,

Not to sound impatient, but I really don't think I'll ever get a reply from the coder of the dig player. Could you send the source code to me at servantofglaaki@lineone.net.

Thanks
Stu
 Ender
07-20-2002, 4:30 PM
One of the ScummVM coders (Pawel) was busy, and I hereby present - under the GPL - the fruits of his labor ;)

http://www.enderboi.com/digmusic.zip)

Please note the GPL license, if you create something using this code it must also be GPL'ed. This code is missing three codecs, so it can only decode 74 of the 84 songs. If anyone has any details on the missing codecs (4,5 and 6) let me know.

Note to run the above util, you need around 650MB of free space.
 Ender
07-20-2002, 9:04 PM
Originally posted by Serge
I believe I described the IACT (the cutscene audio) format to Endy once.

Yeah, ScummVM can play SMUSH movies with audio from either Full Throttle or The Dig - however (besides the fact it can't quite read fast enough to run without stuttering :) we wrote that straight into the engine without making an external program first.
 Ender
07-20-2002, 9:08 PM
Originally posted by ServantOfGlaaki
Is this everything?

Nope, each wav file is it's own individual song. So something screwed up. What error did you get? Anyway, I'm not really supporting this code, I just posted it here for other people to play with if they really want to come up with their own Music Player software :)

Also, any ideas on when the other codecs will be finished? I'm dying to be able to get the full music onto my PC...

Some time, I'm sure. These codecs were very similar to the existing BUN voice codecs, so it was quite easy for Pawel to work them out. But the other three seem to be using a quite different algorithm.
 ServantOfGlaaki
07-21-2002, 2:35 AM
Thanks!

I ran the program, but I got an error (I'm using Windows XP, BTW). I got 3 WAV files, of sizes:

23,972kb
23,968kb
13,168kb
10,241kb

Is this everything?

Also, any ideas on when the other codecs will be finished? I'm dying to be able to get the full music onto my PC...

Also, is SCUMM VM able to decode The Dig's videos? (My favourite piece of music in the whole game is that of the introduction video...)

Thanks
Stu
 Serge
07-21-2002, 7:41 AM
I believe I described the IACT (the cutscene audio) format to Endy once. So SCUMMVM should support it. Although I must say, the audio quality of The Dig seems to me to be the worst in the history of LucasArts adventures. Thankfully, there's the soundtrack CD - even if it doesn't include all the cues, that version of the intro score is far superior to the ingame music :)

- Serge
 CCCP
08-06-2002, 3:47 PM
Looks like the missing codecs were recently completed and committed to the ScummVM CVS, so it shouldn't be too hard to add the new codecs to the player.

If it's not done by the end of the day, I'll work on it myself :)

CCCP
 CCCP
08-09-2002, 1:43 AM
It seems to be working, so for anyone who wants it, here:
http://www.geocities.com/c3p1models/dig/index.html)

All 84 files are decompressed. I haven't listened through all of them yet, but beginning of each file sounds ok. Most files are Stereo, some are Mono.

CCCP
 ServantOfGlaaki
08-10-2002, 1:05 PM
Thanks,

I got the Dig Player, then ran it. It created the first four tracks, but then the Windows XP Error thingy stepped in, saying there was some error. I tried to copy some of the info it gave, but it wouldn't let me select any of the text.

Thanks
Stu
 CCCP
08-10-2002, 8:34 PM
hmm, I had a similar problem with the original exe. I recompiled in Debug mode and it worked fine (Release had the same error).
With the changed source, the problem was gone. I'm running Win2K.
I will take a look at it later to see what could be going wrong. I suspect it could have something to do with memory allocation.

CCCP
Page: 1 of 1