Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

a little anoying

Page: 1 of 1
 Wraith 8
07-09-2002, 6:43 PM
I keep getting E-mails that someone has replied to a topic I also replied in.

And I have the function turned off in my user option.
And I dont have on in the bottom of my reply screen.

How come I still get those e-mails when everything is off?

-Wraith 8-
 edlib
07-09-2002, 7:46 PM
I too have recently received a sudden, unexpected barrage of e-mails telling me of activity on every thread I have posted or subscribed to.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one this has come as a surprise to. I'm guessing someone finally enabled a long dormant server function as an experiment. Unless everyone else has been getting them all along...
 Wraith 8
07-09-2002, 7:57 PM
but do you have e-mail notification off? cause i do.. and i still get them
 edlib
07-09-2002, 8:57 PM
No, I didn't. But this just started yesterday. I never got any e-mail messages from here before. I just turned it off. I'll let you know if they are still coming now that I've done that.
 Mandalorian iTi
07-10-2002, 9:33 AM
i got all email notifications turned off and i get mail from Lucas arts also. so today i got made and replyed to one email and told them to stop!but i dont think that will do any good it will probably get sent back to me saying that the message cant be sent. this email thing is really anoying and is filling my email up all the time, it is a big hassel, i mean i dont care ill go and check on the user cp later or the next day!:mad:
 edlib
07-10-2002, 10:13 AM
I still got them after I turned them off, but they seemed to have stopped as of 3:30 today. I'm not sure if that's a sign of ending, or just no activity on any subscribed threads. I didn't receive notice on Mandalorian iTi's reply to this thread however. I'll take that as a good sign.
If it keeps up though I'll just give them the address of one of my other, less-used 'junk' e-mail accounts to send to. That should make the folks a Yahoo happy. That account has been dead for months now. I'm surprised they haven't pruned it from the servers.

EDIT: I'm also just noticing the little "Email Notification" check boxes at the bottom of each new post window.

Maybe a Mod can answer:
Is there any way in the User CP to shut that off globally, or will we just have to uncheck it each time we post (or edit, since I see it's checked now as I type this addition.)
 Metallus
07-10-2002, 1:32 PM
Ok, I'm not sure why you'd start getting e-mails out of the blue like that, but here's how to turn them off.

Go to User CP > Edit Options, and make sure the following are toggled to "no":

- Use 'Email Notification' by default?
- Send you an email when you receive a Private Message?

Then go to User CP > My vB Home (the default usercp.php page), and make sure you're not subscribed to any forums or threads.

You might have accidently hit "subscribe to this forum/thread" to make it start mailing you. I hope this helps!
 Redwing
07-10-2002, 3:34 PM
The SAME thing happened to me.

I had to turn email notification back OFF...but I had never turned it ON.

Then I had to unsubscribe from all my subscribed threads. >.<
 Metallus
07-10-2002, 4:08 PM
I think it might just be a vB bug. This kind of thing has happened to me on other forums using this engine, but never Lucasforums.
 Wraith 8
07-10-2002, 4:40 PM
well met.. i think your advice worked... i dont get any more e-mails.. thanks man.. :D
 edlib
07-10-2002, 10:15 PM
I just noticed that clicking on "Send E-Mail" under someone's profile is working now as well. It's been shut off since we migrated and merged. I suspect the two things are related.
Unfortunately, I always go to my 'User CP' page first to view any activity in all my subscribed threads. Unsubscribing would kill that functionality for me.
I might just give a different e-mail, and just be sure I uncheck notification on each post.
Thanks.
 Eets
07-11-2002, 7:09 AM
I prefer to be subscribed to threads, that way I can see new posts in my user CP, but I have been getting barraged with e-mails too, and all the notification options are set to no.
 Wraith 8
07-11-2002, 2:59 PM
yeah well.. i had them all off... or set to no.. and i still got e-mails...
but now i clicked the unsubscribe button thingie.. and now i dont get anye-mails.
 Metallus
07-11-2002, 3:29 PM
Yes, that's what subscribing does. The E-mail options in the User CP just set e-mailing you as the default thing to do, so you wouldn't need to subscribe to anything to be contacted about it. Yeah, I don't see the benefit either.
 edlib
07-11-2002, 8:06 PM
Well, I just "Unsubscribed All" and changed my e-mail address in the CP.
Hopefully if I choose to subscribe to anything now it:
a.) won't send an email notice. Or;
b.) won't clutter up one of my main e-mail boxes if it does.

Though if anyone tries to mail me from here they're gonna end up in one of my rarely-checked junk boxes. It might be weeks before I discover it. :(
Page: 1 of 1