Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JK1 TC, would you like to help?

Page: 1 of 5
 Grets Sirob
06-20-2002, 6:07 AM
If you:
A. Have jk1(not required, but would make it easier)
B. Can make decent maps/scripts/models/skins.
C. Have the will to join.

Could you help? I'm trying to get some skinners, modelers, mappers, and scripters together for this. I think it would make an awsome tc, not to mention one that practically everyone wants. Just post here if you want to help. And also, is it possible to make new anims? Thanks for your time. If you don't want to help, you could offer feedback. I hope someone wants to help...

:wookiee: Raaarwwaag!
 Epimetheus
06-20-2002, 10:50 AM
What would make this a TC? What would it change?
 BloodRiot
06-20-2002, 11:49 AM
I would luv to play jk1 in this game engine with this kinda saberplay

jk1 rocked.. but the saberplay there sucked big time... and it had a nice story too.

You have my thumbs up for that mod. Too bad im busy with my own to help ya out.
 Harukaze
06-20-2002, 12:01 PM
What Grets is suggesting is that fans like us pool our efforts to recreate the game Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight and place it onto the Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast gaming engine. This would involve reconstructing every map from DF2:JK, making new models and skins for characters not present in JK2:JO, and probably a fair ammount of playtesting. This process could take... a while ^_^ But since this is something I was hoping someone would suggest, I'm all for signing up.
 Grets Sirob
06-20-2002, 12:50 PM
Sweet! Glad some one agrees this would be a great idea. My e-mail is here (grets_sirob@attbi.com), so e-mail me if you want to join up. And we'll get started! What's your specialty?

Grets Sirob
06-22-2002, 1:42 PM
Anyone else interested?

Wes Janson SMR
06-23-2002, 4:23 AM
Isn't there some kind of level converter that allows us to use JK1 levels in JK2?
 Grets Sirob
06-23-2002, 5:39 AM
Don't know, don't care, don't ask.
And besides, wouldn't you rather have the full experiance?

Wheezle
06-23-2002, 8:47 AM
Originally posted by Wes Janson SMR
Isn't there some kind of level converter that allows us to use JK1 levels in JK2?

Yes there is, Here (http://droid.codealliance.ca/start/index.html)

it only converts the maps themselves and the textures r lo res & ugly. you could retexture them I guess but it'd be way better to re-map them and just use this for a guideline.

but do whatever you want. :D
 reaper1576
06-23-2002, 9:04 AM
Originally posted by Wheezle

Yes there is, Here (http://droid.codealliance.ca/start/index.html)

it only converts the maps themselves and the textures r lo res & ugly. you could retexture them I guess but it'd be way better to re-map them and just use this for a guideline.

but do whatever you want. :D
Thats what ive used to import the map from jk 2 use as reference cos when u import them there are big holes in the maps and gaps every where it would be more work using this to import and fix the maps so where using the imports as reference as a guid line and the scale of the maps are smaller.
Reaper1576 (reaper_23@hotmail.com)
 Harukaze
06-23-2002, 3:21 PM
I'd rather craft it ourselves anyway. We can then give it our own... personality, I suppose. Make it the same map as before, but I'm definately for putting our own touches on it. I'm hoping to learn mapping well enough to be responsible for at least one of the levels in the TC.
 reaper1576
06-23-2002, 7:36 PM
Originally posted by Harukaze
I'd rather craft it ourselves anyway. We can then give it our own... personality, I suppose. Make it the same map as before, but I'm definately for putting our own touches on it. I'm hoping to learn mapping well enough to be responsible for at least one of the levels in the TC. Think one of the problems with DF2 Jk is the lighting from what i can rember it was crap and the maps where verry simple and lacked detail at the moment iam trying to make level 1 narshadda what i coming along nicely plan to make this a much darker level to give it a more seedy look and a lot moer detailhopfuly soon ill have a very early beta preview of work so far on this level need some sugestions for the force powers asignment when you pick light or dark side powers thinking of some sort of trails for the end of each map afther you get your saber etc any sugestions get back to me
 Harukaze
06-23-2002, 10:17 PM
I think sadly, the biggest part of Jedi Knight that will be lost in our TC is the way it handles your Force "karma" so to speak, the level of light or darkness you ascribe to. Since force levels, as I recall, are in a part of the map structure, it seems to me that there's no way to have an alternate set of powers. Meaning, we give Kyle all the powers, and let the player decide which to use. The also presents a problem though, since aren't there multiple endings depending on which side you use?
*sighs* Your lack of an SDK is disturbing *forcegrips Raven* I mean, uhm, hi! ^_^

God, JK is just so painful to look at. I agree wholeheartedly with Reaper. In fact, I was going to suggest something similar, that when we get to do level one, we should seriously throw out the original map entirely and make our own. Nar Shaddaa is big enough that Kyle could, theoretically, take any number of paths to his goal. In both JK and JO [and DF if I recall] Nar Shaddaa was present, but in a greatly simplified manner simply due to the fact that there's no way in hell we could do a map of the whole planet ^_^ That does not mean, however, that the character Kyle has only one option for the directions he takes. In other words, just because JK's publishers chose one route, does not mean we cannot chose another altogether.
 WarteX
06-24-2002, 3:11 AM
BloodRiot, did u ever try SBX for jk1?
It made the saber duels alot better and u could have a sithsaber :dsaber: . It was awesome and u could whurl the sithsaber around like mual does in the movie :cool:

:lsduel:
 King Jezuz Pie
06-24-2002, 4:13 AM
Well this mod might inculde more moves. But the grafik is still crap... and I guess you can't control your moves like in JO, right?

Don't get me wrong, DF2 was a great game, but it's a bit outdated nowadays.
JO really lacks of the huge areas we had in DF2. When I first played the demo map i was impressed how large everything was :)
I doubt that would be possible with JO, as the engine was not developed for large areas...
 The Truthful Liar
06-24-2002, 4:42 AM
Originally posted by King Jezuz Pie
Well this mod might inculde more moves. But the grafik is still crap... and I guess you can't control your moves like in JO, right?

Don't get me wrong, DF2 was a great game, but it's a bit outdated nowadays.
JO really lacks of the huge areas we had in DF2. When I first played the demo map i was impressed how large everything was :)
I doubt that would be possible with JO, as the engine was not developed for large areas...

err... quite the contrary - Jk2 was developed based from the Q3: TA engine which is MEANT for large outdoor areas and arenas. I think that Jk1's (SP) maps can be easily re-created, with even more details added, its just a bloody shame that Raven (Perhaps Lucasarts wouldn't allow it, grumble) didn't release the SP Code for extra dynamic story-line and character immersion into the SW Galaxy.

Cheers :evanpiel: :fett:
 reaper1576
06-24-2002, 6:19 AM
Well i agree there just look at JK narshadda take the intro you see a massive city ships flying about and stuff but look at the level a couple of grans and rodans here and there and some npcs who stand there and do nothing just look at u funny and mumble something and the level was to bright to what the idea the intro gives you like i said before it shold have been more of a darker atmosphere with people walking about ships flying about etc a lot more busy than it was just think of it when you look out the windows of the bar the and walk the streets the odd ships flying about etc just think of it a more seedyer, dark and busy narshadda :D at the mo ive sent in a very early beta preview this morning to www.jedioutcastmaps.com) so hopfuly it should be up soon it of the bar section theres still a lot of work to on it so check it out on there should be up soon
 Harukaze
06-24-2002, 6:53 AM
Sadly I could not find it. Want to perhaps send me a shot to sate my curiosity?
 reaper1576
06-24-2002, 7:26 AM
Sadly I could not find it. Want to perhaps send me a shot to sate my curiosity? ok email me and ill send u the preview of the bar at narshadda
 Grets Sirob
06-26-2002, 3:10 AM
So, anyone else want to help?

:dangit jk2.net, make smilies for the ranks!: Grrarroooaaar!!!
 VIO
06-26-2002, 3:49 AM
i would i love jki but im working on a mod, and a prefab, and a hoth map
 reaper1576
06-26-2002, 5:59 AM
There should be some in game screen shots soon of narshadda
 The Truthful Liar
06-26-2002, 8:00 AM
*shakes head*

amatuers...
 Harukaze
06-26-2002, 6:57 PM
Hey Legion, would you mind posting something, I don't know, helpful? Yes, we're amateurs. But guess what? So is just about everyone here. Not being insulting to anyone; unless we're getting paid to do this, we're amateurs by definition. I get paid to work with pharmaceutical companies and to keep them compliant with the Public Drug Marketing Act. So in just about every aspect here, I'm an amateur. Care to tell me what you're a professional in?
 D.L.
06-26-2002, 7:30 PM
Originally posted by Wes Janson SMR

Yes and it would considerably cut down on the work. All you would need to do is look for leaks, add lights and texture it rather than building it from scratch.
 reaper1576
06-26-2002, 8:48 PM
Hey Legion, would you mind posting something, I don't know, helpful? Yes, we're amateurs. But guess what? So is just about everyone here. Not being insulting to anyone; unless we're getting paid to do this, we're amateurs by definition. I get paid to work with pharmaceutical companies and to keep them compliant with the Public Drug Marketing Act. So in just about every aspect here, I'm an amateur. Care to tell me what you're a professional in? Ok well i agree here about this same here i work in IT as a nework administrator and iam guiet new to mapping and all this stuff and iam not erning anything for doing this this is an idea what ive been thinking of and that it would improve on the origainal in a much better engine and improved saber play untill the day i get paid for this i do think my self an amateur or maybe your one of the lucky few how do get paid in that case you should offer some support and not knock it if your not intrested dont bother posting:mad:
 Grets Sirob
06-27-2002, 1:56 AM
Yes, I'm asking for help, not hindrances. I need more people, so far we have one modeler, two mappers, and maybe a coder.

C'mon guys, this'll be great, help out a bit.

:trooper: Hey, you there!
 The Truthful Liar
06-27-2002, 2:13 AM
*cough*

I made Oasis when Jk2 first came out, and I've already talked with Grets - so I suppose you'll be having mine ;)
 Badakku
06-27-2002, 2:18 AM
Well, I could imagine scripting and also some mapping! I love JK1 and played it at least 5 times sp and endlessly mp with my friend until we both got that good that there never was a winner anymore. :D
I think I know quite much about scripting and I'm also not completely new to mapping, so I think I could at least try to make one level.

You can contact me on webmaster@jedi-planet.de but I must tell you that I won't have hardly any time to do something in the next six weeks because this school year just finished and I'll be on holiday.

Ah, I have a screenshot of the first map I made for JO, watch it here:
http://www.jedi-planet.de/jo/duel_bridge.jpg)
It's a duel map and I think it's quite good for a first map except the case that it's much too small.
 reaper1576
06-27-2002, 5:42 AM
ok at the moment it seem its me and Grets Sirob ive recrutied 1 mapper and waiting to here from 2 and trying to sweet talk a modeler so we need more people to help out some scripters and more modelrs etc so if your intrested please contact me Reaper1576 (reaper_23@hotmail.com) or Grets Sirob sorry about the in game shots dont know when there gonna be posted on Jedioutcastmaps (http://www.jedioutcastmaps.com) or the prevew of the narshadda bar (whats going on there????) at the moment there aint a site for this yet thats on the to do list at the momet the rositer is

Reaper1576
Grets Sirob
Shay soz cant rember your nick mate
Harukaze (Modeler)
Badakku (Scripter & Mapper)

List updated 27/6/02
waiting to here from to people still where all mappers so get back to us if you want to help with this project and big thanks to Gret Sirob for all the help
 Grets Sirob
06-27-2002, 7:22 AM
There are a few others reaper, I'm getting people too, your not alone. No mappers on my part, but we've got Harukaze(skinner and coder)
Still trying to get these annoying modelers to work with me(no offense)...

Harukaze
06-27-2002, 11:23 AM
Not sure if my coding abilities will help much here, but I hope it can. As I mentioned in the private message, I'm going to dive into modelling and see what I can't come up with. So far, it's kinda hard to skin without any models, and the only new model we can use is already being skinned [besides which, yokel's doing a better job than I could do with that].

I seriously would like to do Yun if I can. I want to do a custom model, maybe using an existing model as a base [since this is a new field for me]. I could maybe use one of the Jedi or the Chiss as a base, and reshape the face to look younger. It's not the best, of course, but Yun is a fairly non-descript human. And if it looks bad, we can always scrap it : )

I'm also thinking about working on new skins for Kyle and Jan, but it's almost not even necessary. Going to have a serious look again at the actors who play those parts. And I do have an idea with Jan, but I'll hold that to myself until I can actually test it out.

And the biggest problem I see is still, conceptually, how to handle the fight with Boc.
 Grets Sirob
06-27-2002, 11:35 AM
And the biggest problem I see is still, conceptually, how to handle the fight with Boc.

No kidding, that is going to be a night-mare...

But, no sense worrying about that until we get that far.

If we get that far...

reaper1576
06-27-2002, 5:10 PM
Hmmmmm that could be a problem but ive heard that that some one is working on a mod that will alow u to sabers so it might not be all lost with Boc but at the moment im sort of head hunting for modelers who i like there work so at the moment ive put the map on hold while i try to get this peolpe onboard i dont know whats happening with thew shoot i send in to jedioutcastmaps or the preview so be patiant if not email me and ill send u the shot the preview was very early so i deleted i was not happy with it
 Harukaze
06-27-2002, 6:51 PM
Too bad we can't recruit Absath, Bloodriot and Kinja. Those three would seriously be able to do some of the most amazing things.

Speaking of which, I've still heard no word on a male Twi'lek model. I've an idea, will post later on that.
 BloodRiot
06-28-2002, 12:52 AM
Well...

In a last resource (or desperation if you prefer) you can always make the arms more distant from eachother... that ca be done by moving the skeleton arm bones upwards... in game they would be more apart from eachother.

Then just model a second saber on his left hand.

It's improvise and it would require a lot of tweaking till it reaches the least WEIRD look as possible.

But you DO have an upside on this... Boc's stance is nowhere near the regular stances... in fact... you could also tweak other stuff like the legs or something to simulate his moves.
 sdarkshadow
06-28-2002, 1:39 AM
This MOD sounds like a great idea, if you want you can host it at www.jk2edit.com-) you'd get forums, e-mail addresses @jk2edit.com for members and a web page and space to upload any files to.

This is a very new editing website- a lot of it is under construction but we are slowly getting on top of things.
 reaper1576
06-28-2002, 4:57 AM
Too bad we can't recruit Absath, Bloodriot and Kinja. Those three would seriously be able to do some of the most amazing things.

Speaking of which, I've still heard no word on a male Twi'lek model. I've an idea, will post later on that.
Ok i got an idea there is a twi'lek model but it female if u can find it and get permission from the creator to use it as a base 4 boc and on the JK1 Cd the is concempt art for all the dark jedi emaill me if u need to know more
 reaper1576
06-28-2002, 5:07 AM
Originally posted by sdarkshadow
This MOD sounds like a great idea, if you want you can host it at www.jk2edit.com-) you'd get forums, e-mail addresses @jk2edit.com for members and a web page and space to upload any files to.

This is a very new editing website- a lot of it is under construction but we are slowly getting on top of things.
thank i will email u and we can talk about it chears
 VIO
06-28-2002, 5:20 AM
wait did boc have 2 sabers
 Grets Sirob
06-28-2002, 5:44 AM
Yes Vio, he did.

Ahhh, I remember that jumping, laughing, idiotic freak.
His death was funny, he kinda fell on his knees, started laughing, wimpered, and died.
I enjoyed that to the fullest...

Harukaze
06-28-2002, 6:08 AM
Of course, they all kind of just fall to their knees and die.

Bloodriot, thanks for the idea! Would we actually be able to have something that damages someone in his other hand though? I know we could model the saber blade directly into the model and use shaders to make it look like a blade [although that's FAR beyond my abilities]. Even if that doesn't do damage, it would still look like he's using both blades, and the "real" blade would do still do a fair enough ammount of damage.... It is by far the best idea I've heard, but at the least we can wait a good while until we have to cross that bridge.

I just emailed Tim Appleby [the creator of the female Twi'lek model and the Aayla Secura skin, among other things], asking him if he would be interested in crafting a male Twi'lek. Unfortunately [or fortunately, but in a different way] he's working on something else already. Maybe would someone else be interested? :) Bloodriot, I don't suppose you and Absath would consider doing one? Or another of the Dark Jedi?
 reaper1576
06-28-2002, 6:08 AM
If u used luke and the bartender from narshadda and sort of crosed them like make luke black out fit a blue gray and use the other models head sort of might work
 Harukaze
06-28-2002, 6:45 AM
I actually have some plans for Yun. I'm learning to model specifically so that I can do Yun, since he has become my favorite character in Jedi Knight. I know someone did a skin of him onto a preexisting model, but I'd like to do my own model. I will use some premade model as the base, but as Madjai has proven, you can do a lot by editing a base model. The head on his Maw model was once Kyle's ^_^ Very impressive job there, btw.

I've got gmax now, and I'm just going to have to pray that's good enough to make the model, since there's no way I can afford 3ds max and I don't intend to pirate it either.
 reaper1576
06-28-2002, 7:18 AM
I actually have some plans for Yun. I'm learning to model specifically so that I can do Yun, since he has become my favorite character in Jedi Knight. I know someone did a skin of him onto a preexisting model, but I'd like to do my own model. I will use some premade model as the base, but as Madjai has proven, you can do a lot by editing a base model. The head on his Maw model was once Kyle's ^_^ Very impressive job there, btw.

I've got gmax now, and I'm just going to have to pray that's good enough to make the model, since there's no way I can afford 3ds max and I don't intend to pirate it either.
if u got DSL or know someone you coud go for maya or download milkshape
 The Truthful Liar
06-28-2002, 9:37 AM
Originally posted by reaper1576

if u got DSL or know someone you coud go for maya or download milkshape

I really hope you are only talking about trial version rather warez, discussion of warez and ways of attaining warez programs is prohibited.

If not - carry on! :thumbsup:
 Harukaze
06-28-2002, 9:47 AM
Which is better, MilkShape or gmax? I know 3ds max is the best, but I don't plan to pirate and I don't have a few grand to toss aruond. I'd pay the 20 for Milk, and I already downloaded gmax.
 reaper1576
06-28-2002, 5:48 PM
Originally posted by AB_Legion

I really hope you are only talking about trial version rather warez, discussion of warez and ways of attaining warez programs is prohibited.

If not - carry on! :thumbsup:

I was reffering to the free version of maya and you can use milkshape for 30day free and my opinion or warez is dont use it it will all way mess your computer up and thats why they charge Ј40 quid where i live for sof2 and i dont in tend to pay that and no im not being tight
 reaper1576
06-28-2002, 5:49 PM
Which is better, MilkShape or gmax? I know 3ds max is the best, but I don't plan to pirate and I don't have a few grand to toss aruond. I'd pay the 20 for Milk, and I already downloaded gmax. did you get tempest for gmax???
 Harukaze
06-28-2002, 8:02 PM
Not yet; I was not one hundred percent certain it would work with Jedi Outcast. There are differences between Q3 and JO, even though JO is based off the engine; I was not certain if those differences would make Tempest incompatible or not. I'll take it your questions implies that it is compatible, so I'll have to download it.
Page: 1 of 5