Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Qui-gon Jinn model

Page: 4 of 5
 <JOTD>Jedi Hunter
09-14-2002, 2:12 PM
Wow, this is going to make these models That much better. I can't wait. Arco you're a great skinner, thanks for lending your talents to these great models. I can't wait to see what you come up with. ;)
 Darth-Nasty
09-14-2002, 2:14 PM
great news:)

I'm still confused as to who is working on which version of obiwan

are you gonna be skinng ep1 or ep2 obi?
 frendon
09-14-2002, 2:21 PM
so there is going to be an ep1 and ep2 obiwan model and a quigon model right?
 §ith Lord
09-14-2002, 3:23 PM
Nasty - from what has been said I would have to say that Kman is doing ep. 2 Obi wan and Arco is doing padawan Obi Wan and Qui-Gon
 Toonces
09-14-2002, 4:03 PM
Yeah, Sith Lord has it right, I'll just be getting the models rigged properly and in game :)

The models themself are extremely well built and should be really easy to skin and to get animated

I havent been able to begin to work on the models yet, the uvmaps are missing, and one of the max files won't open. I e-mailed quamosity and we'll be able to get this resolved as soon as I hear from him

Toonces
www.drivingcatstudios.com)
Powered by Sith :lightning
 SiThLoRd><1000
09-14-2002, 7:41 PM
You guys rock!
 Uber Sith
09-15-2002, 8:26 AM
Very interesting...this is very good news indeed...Do we know when the first skinned pic of these models can appear....

cause i cant hardly wait
 Arco
09-15-2002, 11:38 AM
Well as soon as i get the uvmaps all I am gonna do is skin. So expect pics from me a couple of hours after I get the model and uvmaps!

I am going to really go all out on this one I already have some ref pics but I need MORE. So anybody that has links etc to qui gon ref pics send em my way. I am making (well i am gonna try to) photorealistic... which isn't often done by me but the mesh looks so great it just has to be done.

Arco:deathii:
 t3rr0r
09-15-2002, 12:11 PM
 Darth-Nasty
09-15-2002, 12:46 PM
are you gonna be using the team skins to make your own custom characters again?

a sith quigon and obiwan would be interesting:)
 Arco
09-15-2002, 2:41 PM
yeah I will be doing CTF varients as usual.

Toonces
09-15-2002, 4:19 PM
I'd kill for the uvcoords right now :D I absolutely love these models. They are getting so lonely just sitting here.
 KMan
09-15-2002, 5:15 PM
Who is unwrapping Qui Gon?
 Arco
09-15-2002, 5:37 PM
I think toonces said they are already mapped but if not he is gonna go over em. And then it's off to skin quigon for me. Not sure if i wanna do ep1 obi. And you are doing ep2 obi kman? (you lucky dog.)

Master Yogurt
09-15-2002, 8:53 PM
THANK THE LORD a quigon model :atat: :atat: :atat: :tie: :tie: :tie: :deathstar ........:swear:
 Toonces
09-15-2002, 9:36 PM
Quamosity sent me three max files (Pad-Obi, Qui-Gon, and one other that had an error, I think it's episode 2 Obi) as well as some exported .uvw's that refuse to import into max.

I e-mailed quamosity, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Hopefully Tex can e-mail me the max files with proper texutre coords, or in some other format.
 Gram_Reaper
09-16-2002, 12:55 AM
Nice to see this model back on the right track, cant wait for it to be skinned and soo forth. Nice job toonces
 K.O
09-16-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Grafox
Yep, have gamespy, nick: Grafox[NL]

Ah.. So that WAS you in the JKII lobby that one day. :P I tried adding you, I won't stop till you authorize me. So don't try to run. ;-/

And someone went overboard with the smilies. :o
 Grafox
09-17-2002, 3:12 AM
Originally posted by K.O

Ah.. So that WAS you in the JKII lobby that one day. :P I tried adding you, I won't stop till you authorize me. So don't try to run. ;-/

And someone went overboard with the smilies. :o

Yep that was me, I guess :)
Can't add or authorize you atm, my comp is dead, well, the one that is able to play jk2. Once it's back from repairs (next thursday, I hope) I'll do it.
 Khier
09-20-2002, 3:58 PM
Now that this model is obviously rolling again, are there gonna be some pics soon? I can't view the one tex put up, it said file not found.
 Darth-Nasty
09-20-2002, 4:50 PM
there arent any screenshots with any more progress yet cos the skinning hasnt started

but if im right toonces has the models and could get some screenshots of the models as they were/still are, as the old screenshots arnt around any more

it should intrest people who havent seen these great models yet
 Toonces
09-20-2002, 4:54 PM
Yeah, I can take a few screenies for you guys :) As soon as I have time

Still havent heard from Q about the coords
 quamosity
09-20-2002, 6:49 PM
I talked to Tex about fixing up the model/getting it in .3ds format and he will work on that. He was busy with school and didn't have the time when I asked him, but he will get on it shortly. Sorry to keep you waiting, Toonces--but he will be making progress on it all.

Thanks
 Khier
09-21-2002, 5:17 PM
Ya any kind of screenshots would be good, because i haven't even got a glimpse of it yet
 Toonces
09-21-2002, 5:22 PM
Ask and you shall receive :D

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/TexQui-Gon.jpg)
http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/Epi1-obi.jpg)

I can't open the max file for Episode II Obi-Wan, but K-man is skining him so it's all good

quamosity, If Tex doesn't have the time I can just unwrap him myself, it's not a problem :) All he needs are the texture coords and skining can begin
 bleek
09-21-2002, 5:24 PM
welllll..........amazing.:D I like Qui-Gon's hair:D
 SpYzEr
09-21-2002, 5:26 PM
Ask and you shall receive

Hmm how bout the Kit Fisto model? heh j/k. Lookin good Toonces:D
 fat_101
09-21-2002, 5:30 PM
wow looking good, just gonna say god luck and if u can (plzzzzzzz) can u put up pics of each progression in the model ( sorry i like looking at how they progress) if not dont worry just concentrate on the model

FATTEH

Edit... is it me or does qui gon look like an elf :)
 Toonces
09-21-2002, 5:35 PM
Tex would have earlier pics if he took any, I just got the models from him as is.

I like to keep people as updated as I can so as soon as skining starts I'll be sure to post some shots durring the various stages :)

Arco is going to skin Qui-Gon, and I think Episode 1 Obi, K-man is working on the Episode II Obi
 keo718
09-21-2002, 5:40 PM
I'm looking forward to see what you do with the skin Arco. The model looks lovely.
 Toonces
09-21-2002, 5:45 PM
Not to take anything away from the Episode 1 Obi, it's very good, but the Qui-Gon model is dead on accurate. I have total confidence that Arco is going to make a skin for Qui-Gon that will blow people away :D
 KMan
09-21-2002, 6:05 PM
 SpYzEr
09-21-2002, 6:06 PM
Hmm the link works but there is no picture
 fat_101
09-21-2002, 6:27 PM
woah nice k-man just from what i can tell his eyes look squinted or his cheeks r too far out but otherwise perfect :)

FATTEH

P.S tnx toonces,k-man,arco etc... im glad u are gonna keep updating pics on here :D
 Arco
09-21-2002, 7:54 PM
ok so I have not got the mesh to skin yet. So don't expect anything from me at least untill a week after I get the mesh to skin.... and I don't know when that will be.

I want to crit your skin kman... but the link won't work for me.

t3rr0r
09-21-2002, 8:00 PM
Originally posted by Arco
I want to crit your skin kman... but the link won't work for me.
it's just a screenshot of the model iteself.
 keo718
09-21-2002, 9:50 PM
That is an extraodinarily well done model.
 Eldritch
09-22-2002, 4:52 AM
A couple of thoughts on the subjects of the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan (ep1/2) models. I don't know if the model themselves will be altered, but I hope so, 'cause I can see a few things that need to be more accurate. If Toonces or KMan or Tex will not be altering the models any further, please disregard the following points.

1) All 3 of the models have the same exact problem. The tabards are the wrong length below the belt. On Obi (both ep1/2), the tabards should be the same length as his kimono-like thing (the layer right underneath the tabards). That is to say, they should not extend any further *below* where the kimono ends below the belt. On Qui-Gon, the tabards hang down further, almost to his knees. They also are way too thick. They should only be as thick underneath the belt as they are individually above it. I also noticed on the back of the ep2 Obi that the tabards join together above the belt and are not separated at all below it. The tabards are two individual pieces, not one whole one. I assume this is also on the other 2 models, but I can't tell 'cause I can't see the back.

2) The padawan braid is WAY too long on Obi.

3) All 3 models (to a lesser degree with ep2 Obi) seem a little too bulky. I don't know if this is because of the screenshot or what, but Qui-Gon was definitely taller than Obi.

4) The eyes on all the models are placed too close together.

5) The boots stick out too far from the legs. They weren't skin tight in the movies, but they weren't as thick as they are in the pics either.

Sorry if this all seems a little nitpicky, I'm just trying to give some constructive criticism to help you all make the models even better than they already are. Keep up the good work!

-Anakin
 Kururin
09-22-2002, 9:31 AM
Originally posted by JEDI_Anakin_S
A couple of thoughts on the subjects of the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan (ep1/2) models. I don't know if the model themselves will be altered, but I hope so, 'cause I can see a few things that need to be more accurate. If Toonces or KMan or Tex will not be altering the models any further, please disregard the following points.

1) All 3 of the models have the same exact problem. The tabards are the wrong length below the belt. On Obi (both ep1/2), the tabards should be the same length as his kimono-like thing (the layer right underneath the tabards). That is to say, they should not extend any further *below* where the kimono ends below the belt. On Qui-Gon, the tabards hang down further, almost to his knees. They also are way too thick. They should only be as thick underneath the belt as they are individually above it. I also noticed on the back of the ep2 Obi that the tabards join together above the belt and are not separated at all below it. The tabards are two individual pieces, not one whole one. I assume this is also on the other 2 models, but I can't tell 'cause I can't see the back.

2) The padawan braid is WAY too long on Obi.

3) All 3 models (to a lesser degree with ep2 Obi) seem a little too bulky. I don't know if this is because of the screenshot or what, but Qui-Gon was definitely taller than Obi.

4) The eyes on all the models are placed too close together.

5) The boots stick out too far from the legs. They weren't skin tight in the movies, but they weren't as thick as they are in the pics either.

Sorry if this all seems a little nitpicky, I'm just trying to give some constructive criticism to help you all make the models even better than they already are. Keep up the good work!

-Anakin

You need to be less picky. Why do you want it to take longer to put these models in game. I dont care if the braid is too long and the eyes on all the models are placed too close together. It looks great without those changes you were talking about.
 Grafox
09-22-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by bobafett101

You need to be less picky. Why do you want it to take longer to put these models in game. I dont care if the braid is too long and the eyes on all the models are placed too close together. It looks great without those changes you were talking about.

He was just giving contructive critisism, something I don't see you do. :mad:

About the braid, it is accurate size, just look at some pics.
 t3rr0r
09-22-2002, 10:45 AM
also, the tabards will look separate once there's a skin on him.
 morphius_doh
09-22-2002, 11:09 AM
Here are two reference pics for Obi Wan ep 1/2 that should put this to rest.

Obi Wan ep1 (http://www.padawansguide.com/gifs/Obi-Wan_sansrobe.jpg)

Obi Wan ep2 (http://www.padawansguide.com/obiwan/costume/obiwan_newsite3.jpg)
 Eldritch
09-22-2002, 12:05 PM
Found some reference pics.

http://http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Episode_1/Characters/Qui-Gon_Jinn&image=qgj-ig07.jpg&img=112&tt=) This one shows how long Qui-Gon's tabards are supposed to extend.

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Episode_1/Characters/Qui-Gon_Jinn&image=EWobi_qui.jpg&img=208&tt=) This one shows the correct colors of their clothing.

I haven't found a reference pic that proves that the tabards are split in the back, but I will. In the meantime, I hope this helps.

-Anakin
 Khier
09-22-2002, 3:29 PM
niether of those links work for me
 morphius_doh
09-22-2002, 8:40 PM
I think he must've messed up on the URL coz I'm not getting anything either. The second URL shouldn't have the (url] tag included in the actual address.
 Toonces
09-23-2002, 5:11 AM
Anakin just copied the links wrong, anyway, these are the pics he meant
http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Episode_1/Characters/Qui-Gon_Jinn&image=EWobi_qui.jpg&img=208&tt=)

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Episode_1/Characters/Qui-Gon_Jinn&image=qgj-ig07.jpg&img=112&tt=)

I spent a little time this morning unwraping Qui-Gons head. I got a little bored so I figured I'd see what I can do. As I mentioned earlier, the mesh is quite well built so it shouldnt be a problem for me to do
 Eldritch
09-23-2002, 7:14 AM
Thanks Toonces. Sorry for the horrible links, everyone. I had just woken up and was pretty exhausted, so my head wasn't as clear as it should've been.

-Anakin
 Primrodo
09-23-2002, 5:16 PM
Qui-Gons tabbards are spit, as are teh others too, two seperate pieces of fabric.

Those pics also look fanned? The tabbards should be straight.

And Tercero said he'd do Ep1 Obi, so I'd defiantly like Qui-Gon done.

Is there anyway you can use Tereceros pouches?

-Justin
 Eldritch
09-23-2002, 5:20 PM
I didn't think they looked fanned. And besides, the tabards would never stay straight for long with as much as the jedi move around. ;)

-Anakin
 Primrodo
09-23-2002, 5:29 PM
Seriously look: http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/TexQui-Gon.jpg)

They go skinny to fat...fanned. My costume, teh most it does is move up... :D
Page: 4 of 5