Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Midi, Wav, Mp3

Page: 1 of 1
 Kitty Collins
06-08-2002, 7:58 AM
Now that I've learnt how to use SCUMMRev properly (thanks Serge), I have a question about Midis. I'd like to put these tracks onto a CD so I'll be able to listen to them in my CD-player (no, the computer isn't enough for me :p)

Asking people about this, it seems like that is not something I should even try, or think of doing. But isn't there some shortcut I could take? Like, for instance playing the midi-file in SCUMMRev, and using a program like for instance CoolEdit in the background, recording it; and by doing this get the miditrack recorded to a Wave-file? This should be possible, no? (And then I'd be able to make Mp3's too)

Please correct me if I'm wrong...
 bgbennyboy
06-08-2002, 9:22 AM
You can do it that way if you like, the downside being of course that you have to wait while they all play and record. Alternatively you could use a program that might do it quicker.
Use something like this (http://www.polyhedric.com/software/wavmaker/) or this (http://home.att.net/~audiocompositor/index.html).

In fact ive just found this (http://www.indezine.com/products/sound/mid2wav.html) page that lists programs that do it. There you go.
 moebius
06-08-2002, 3:41 PM
I recommend using TiMidity++ (http://www.goice.co.jp/member/mo/timidity/). It plays midis even at realtime using software synthesis, can use Soundfonts and/or GUS patches (yes, you can make it sound like a real GUS!). It can dump WAVs, of course, but the more interesting feature is that you can connect ScummVM's midi output to TiMidity (only under Linux, for the moment). Imagine all that LucasArts' games with wavetable-synthesized music!!! whoaaa! It worths to have a look at it :)
With a little tweaking you can even make the MT32 versions of the music sound as if you had an MT32 (this is not much easy, thought :( )
 MeddlingMonk
06-08-2002, 11:09 PM
Or you could go the drop-dead simple route: get Highland's MIDIs and play them in Winamp using it's disk writer plugin.
 bgbennyboy
06-09-2002, 7:58 AM
Unfortunately not, disk-writer doesnt work with midi files.
 kelmer
06-09-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by bgbennyboy
Unfortunately not, disk-writer doesnt work with midi files.

Yes it does, as long as you use the last Midi plugins. Just mark the "send to output" select box in the plugin's configuration/output tag and then activate your sound card to record from the synthetiser (or mixed output in some cases) and you will be able to record the files, although you must first listen to every single of them while you're recording.

In fact, I made my personal adventure mp3 collection using this method :)
 Drigo Zoxx
06-09-2002, 12:08 PM
Why would i want to use WinAmp if I can export them to Wave in Timidity with Eawpats?
 bgbennyboy
06-09-2002, 12:30 PM
In short, Kitty Collins, theres a million-and-one ways to do it (although I favour using audiocompositor or a similar program myself):D.

Time to quote Ursula Le Guin.
"Infinate are the arguements of mages........."

Although Im not a mage of course, since I dont play RPG's, dont have a beard, havent got a level of 22 +3 armour and dont go around calling myself "Thorion Okenshield the Necromancer".......
 MeddlingMonk
06-09-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Drigo Zoxx
Why would i want to use WinAmp if I can export them to Wave in Timidity with Eawpats?

Then don't. :rolleyes: But there are other options, and another person just might be interested in them, the sick SOBs. :swear:
 Serge
06-10-2002, 8:23 AM
Originally posted by kelmer

Yes it does, as long as you use the last Midi plugins. Just mark the "send to output" select box in the plugin's configuration/output tag and then activate your sound card to record from the synthetiser (or mixed output in some cases) and you will be able to record the files, although you must first listen to every single of them while you're recording.

In fact, I made my personal adventure mp3 collection using this method :)

First, doesn't work for all sound cards. Many older cards (including all Soundblaster cards that came before Live!) either don't support full duplex - they can't record while playing - or don't send MIDI through the digital sound mixer - they can record while playing, but not MIDI.

Secondly, even if it does work, it'll give inferior sound quality on all SoundBlaster cards (and many others, because SB is far from the worst card among lower end products :). Dynamic range will be lost (the SB doesn't record in 16 bit no matter what it says - rather something like 12 or 13 bit), noise will be added, etc. A much better solution, if you don't own a high end soundcard, is to use a software MIDI to WAVE renderer as others here suggested.

- Serge
 Kitty Collins
06-10-2002, 12:01 PM
Wow.. Thanks for all the help and advice guys... :gift:

Although, it didn't work with Winamp, which you've already discussed below (My computer is old and crappy...)

For some reason Timidity just wouldn't work (something with the config file, although I've checked it like hundreds of times, it *is* where it's supposed to be, but still..) And the other programs required downloading lots of extra stuff to get them working (which I just couldn't be bothered with... :dozey: heh)

But, anyway, I used winamp to play the highland MIDIS and the recording program I mentioned in the first post to record it. It sounds okay, the important thing is that I can listen to my own Sam & Max soundtrack...
:sam: :max:
 Drigo Zoxx
06-10-2002, 12:24 PM
If you're having troubles with Timidity config file, that's why you need to copy it into the c:\WINDOWS\ directory the first time you install Timidity. I'm not sure about the directory, but you can find this in the troubleshooting section of Timidity dox.
 Kitty Collins
06-10-2002, 2:40 PM
I finally got Timidity working now :)
 moebius
06-11-2002, 9:02 AM
Yeah, sure: installing Timidity is a bit tricky, I forgot commenting that; but the quality of the sound worths while installing that damn piece of code. Say: even MIDIs with an old SB16 (or similar :monkey4: ) can sound like the best synthesizer (I know it: I've got an SB16, and don't want to stop using it -100% compatibility-)
 Drigo Zoxx
06-11-2002, 7:25 PM
yeah, Timidity is great, i like too much the way it play the Raiders Theme (indiana Jones theme) it seems to be listening a real orchestra
Page: 1 of 1