Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

CG_ReadNextSnapshot: Way out of range

Page: 1 of 1
 alienprotein
05-25-2002, 10:04 AM
I keep getting this error when I connect to my server. “CG_ReadNextSnapshot: Way out of range, 16637 >44 “

Is this a server setting? I have changed it on the client side, and the error comes back, but with another set of numbers like 38xxx >67 (or something like that). So it does not seem work. I don't know if this is affecting all of the clients, or just me.

If this is a server setting, What would be a good range to have CG_ReadNextSnapshot set to? (Might as well say Client, and or server)
 MatrixCPA
05-25-2002, 3:41 PM
Well, I can tell you that cg_readnextsnapshot isn't a server cvar. Chances are it's an internal setting that you shouldn't mess with. ;) I'd remove any reference to it from your config and make sure that you remove it from jk2mpconfig.cfg as well. Does it just happen to you or everyone? Does it just happen for you on your server or when you join any server?
 alienprotein
05-26-2002, 11:24 AM
I still get it and have done the following to discover the source.

1. Scan Client jk2mpconfig.cfg, and found no Text strings that contained the characters "CG_ReadNextSnapshot".

2. Scanned the server "Dedicated.cfg" file for the same Text string, and found nothing.

So I have no idea what it could be. The only thing I would guess next, is that it might be one of the scripts in a .pk3 file, or maybe has to do with GtkRadiant. Any more Ideas?
:confused:
 MatrixCPA
05-26-2002, 5:05 PM
Hmm, perhaps a reinstall is in order? I haven't come across this particular problem in a chronic form before. What o/s and command line/startup script are you using?
 alienprotein
05-26-2002, 11:52 PM
Well I just run the default mp.exe for my client.
Client OS = Winblows XP
Server OS = Winblows 2k
EXE flags = /C:\jk2\GameData\jk2mp.exe +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 28070 +set net_ip 10.0.0.13 +set net_noudp 0 +set net_noipx 1 +exec [CELL].cfg

For the server I run the following .cfg file
//[CELL].cfg

seta sv_maxclients "6"
seta sv_privateClients "2"
seta sv_maxPing "400"
seta g_inactivity "1000"
seta com_HunkMegs "56"
seta sv_minclients "1"
seta sv_maxRate "8000"
seta sv_minPing "0"
seta g_forcerespawn "3"
seta sv_fps "50"
seta com_zoneMegs "128"
seta com_SoundMegs "12"
seta sv_reconnectlimit "50"
seta g_warmup "0"
seta sv_zombietime "200"
seta g_maxGameClients "6"
seta g_minGameClients "0"
seta g_gravity "800"
seta g_speed "250"
seta g_timeouttospec "70"
seta g_dismember "1"
seta sv_timeout "100"
seta g_weaponrespawn "30"
seta g_allowvote "1"
seta sv_allowDownload "1"
seta sv_allowAnonymous "0"
seta g_doWarmup "0"
seta sv_floodProtect "1"
seta g_friendlyfire "0"
seta g_teamForceBalance "0"
seta g_forceBasedTeams "0"
seta sv_pure "1"
seta g_synchronousclients "0"
seta g_teamAutoJoin "0"
seta g_privateDuel "1"
seta g_adaptrespawn "0"
seta g_smoothClients "1"
seta sv_padPackets "1"
seta g_saberLock "1"
seta g_friendlySaber "0"
seta g_forcePowerDisable "0"
seta g_jediVmerc "0"
seta g_weaponDisable "65531" // Weapons Disabled
seta g_duelWeaponDisable "65531" // Weapons Disabled Duel Only
seta dmflags "0"

I don't seem to get the error when connecting to other servers. So i dono.
 MatrixCPA
05-27-2002, 4:25 AM
I don't see a map rotation in there. At a minimum, you need to set g_autoMapCycle to 1 (on) and call a map at the end of the config.
 alienprotein
05-27-2002, 3:07 PM
:) hehe I did'nt post the entire thing. Only the basics. I have it calling a seperate .cfg file for the map rotation. I rewrote my config files, so it will be easy for me to add Maps, bots, Ect. ect.

In fact all that I had left off of the above Config was this (didnt think it would matter)

seta logfile "2"
seta g_log "[CELL]games.log"
seta g_statLog "1"
seta g_statLogFile "[CELL]stats.log"

seta fraglimit "1"
seta timelimit "0"
seta capturelimit "0"
seta duel_fraglimit "10"
seta sv_cheats "0"
net_restart
g_autoMapCycle "1"
Map EOF
exec "Maprotation.cfg"

// ZoneMegs = 128
// HunkMegs = 56
// SoundMegs = 12
// IP = 10.0.0.13
// Port = 28070
seta bot_minplayers "0"
seta bot_maxplayers "0"
seta bot_enable "0"
seta bot_nochat "0"
seta bot_fastchat "1"
seta bot_challenge "1"
seta bot_groundonly "0"
seta bot_thinktime "100"
writeconfig jk2mpconfig.cfg
wait
//EOF

while I have you looking at my configuration lemme ask this.

If ya know.
How can I go about setting up a duel server that has both a Max Duellimit, and a max timelimit. I have been on servers that have both at the same time. Say the duellimit has not been reached, or the server is empty. It will autocycle to the next map.

Whenever i attemt this I get a server that lasts 25 minutes, or a duel that last's one frag.
 MatrixCPA
05-28-2002, 2:38 AM
Well, I'm guessing that you have a custom map rotation you are using then? If so, you should set g_autoMapCycle "0" (off). As far as setting a timelimit and a duel_fraglimit, why not just set each? I have seen duel servers where, despite the timelimit setting, continue until the duel_fraglimit is reached to change maps.
 alienprotein
05-28-2002, 6:25 AM
So you are saying that with my custom map rotation I don’t need to set g_autoMapCycle "1" (on). Well that may have been my problem the whole time. I am gunna try it and see if it works. See if that is the case, then it will solve another question I have been having. When I’m in a game and want to vote another map. I get the error "isn't supported in current game type." Even though we are dueling, and I select a duel map.

You know what. I will leave what I have written, and wait to post this until after I try it out.

Back. No workie.

Here are the flags I set.
seta fraglimit "1"
seta timelimit "25"
seta capturelimit "0"
seta duel_fraglimit "10"
g_autoMapCycle "1"

I then entered the game, and as soon as I joined i got the Message. "1 kill left". Now I am curious. Does seta dmflags "0" have to do any with this, and or could it have to do with the type of map. Say I have an ffa map running, but expect to be dueling on it.

I know I read some ware about a utility, or command that will allow you to play Duel_maps, as FFA_maps vise versa. Am i correct, or was it one of my many Illusions. :)
 MatrixCPA
05-28-2002, 2:03 PM
From what I understand, you can use ffa maps for duels, but I've not seen someone do it the other way around. Of course, the duel maps are so small, why would you want to cram a bunch of players in them like that. ;) As far as the settings, I still recommend you set g_autoMapCycle "0" if you've got a custom rotation.
 alienprotein
05-28-2002, 11:02 PM
Ok thanks. You are correct about cramming people on a duel map. But it’s kind of fun with 3 or 4 people. No more then 4. :) Well see you are a busy little beaver, posting posting, posting. I think you helped me enough on this thread. I’m in the middle of doing the old FFR on my sys to see if it fixes some bugs. This will give me a chance to see if the "CG_ReadNextSnapshot: Way out of range" error goes away. If not, O well. I still am able to play. :D

Thanks again.
 alienprotein
05-30-2002, 3:15 AM
Well formatting my client system, and then reinstalling the game did not correct the issue. I have been able to play just fine, so I guess it dosent matter.. :D I know for a fact that this is an issue with my server though. Ill figure it out soon enough.
 *TҐRANITH*
05-31-2002, 6:25 AM
My brother's computer got this error message too. It's nothing to do with JKII, or clientside/serverside cvars. It's something to do with your computer.
I know this because he gets the same error message in the SoF2 SP test, so i'm guessing it's something to do with the Q3 engine...
Other than that, i'm not sure, although it hasn't affected gameplay in any way.
 alienprotein
06-26-2002, 6:48 AM
Haha its been a while since I posted this, but I wanna say thnx *TҐRANITH*. That makes a whole hella lotta sense.
Page: 1 of 1