Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jar Jar = Trigger to destruction?

Page: 1 of 1
 Kaze
05-17-2002, 2:21 AM
So apparently the loveable *cough* Jar Jar Binks was one of the key triggers to the fall of the Order of the Jedi and the destruction of the Old Republic? Who would have guessed, though you know it is actually kind of poetic...
 Natty
05-17-2002, 4:42 AM
Poor JarJar :( he was only doing what he thought Amidala woulda done in the same situation.

I think I annoyed everyone coz everytime JarJar came on screen, in a lil kids voice I would yell out 'JAR JAR!'
 KrunCh
05-17-2002, 4:48 AM
But you see if Jar Jar hadn't done so all the Jedi would have been screwed.
 Wraith 8
05-17-2002, 4:52 AM
yeah.. it was realy kind of sad for him wasnt it.
but i did thought it was funny when he greeted Obi wan and anakin in the beginning of the movie :D
 Natty
05-17-2002, 5:03 AM
I know I'm probably in the minority- but I love JarJar :D
 thelegalbeagle
05-17-2002, 7:32 AM
A minority of one!
 Perniciosus
05-17-2002, 8:03 AM
Originally posted by Natty
Poor JarJar :( he was only doing what he thought Amidala woulda done in the same situation.

True, to an extent, but it was more of a way to decieve Jar Jar for Palpatine to get what he needed. Again, I'm afraid the movie didn't really convey this very well whereas there was a lot more of the backstory in the novelization.

In Palpatine's chambers after they get the message from Obi-Wan at Geonosis, you'll notice that they lay it on thick that "if only Senator Amidala were here" they'd have an objective person to present the measure of giving Palpatine emergency powers.

Basically, they laid it on heavy, coercing Jar Jar to make the motion to give Palpatine emergency powers because, as the book points out, Jar Jar's voice, in absence of Amidala, was like a complete endorcement from Amidala herself. Since Amidala was the leader of the resistance to the Military Creation Act, Jar Jar presenting the motion (again, speaking 'as' Amidala in her absence) would almost immediately guarantee that those against the creation of the military would be swayed to follow.

So, yeah, I guess that it can be said Jar Jar was doing what he thought Amidala would do if she was there, but more importantly, he was led to believe by a coniving Palpatine that Amidala would support giving Emergency Powers to the wayward Chancellor. I'm not sure she would have agreed to that at all, especially since Senator Smits..err.. I mean Senator Organa seemed to still be against the military creation even after learning of the actions on Geonosis.
 thelegalbeagle
05-17-2002, 8:11 AM
so despite the desires of the Trade Federation, Sidious did not want Amidala assassinated, but merely moved off-planet for the vote, leaving the gullible Binks in her place
 StuBeck
05-17-2002, 9:21 AM
I don't think that Sidious cared if Amidala was killed or not. If she was, everyone would be scared and they then could find this droid army that was going to kill everyone. If she wasn't, we have what happened.
 thelegalbeagle
05-17-2002, 9:24 AM
If Amidala was vocal in her opposition of the legislation in favour of creating an Army of the Republic, her assassination might lead to a hardening of attitudes and more support for her views than would be heard if she was alive.
 Zindell
05-17-2002, 11:04 AM
yeah he wanted her dead for sure, shes too much of a pain in the ass when it comes to his plans. all he would have had to do was let it leak out that the sepertists had done this and were taking violent actions. Then kindly leak out about this huge droid army and you get all the votes you need.
 Leagle
05-17-2002, 8:01 PM
Jar-Jar is duped into thinking that enough is enough, even Amidala would decide now was the time for an army. He then leads the opposition to back up the army.

Vote now! With Jar-Jar on the begining of the end for democracy, the end to personal freedoms and the destruction of Alderaan!
 RichDiesal
05-18-2002, 4:35 AM
I just found it extremely fitting that Jar Jar Binks, the ultimate hated character from Episode I, basically single-handedly brought about the fall of the Old Republic.

Poetic indeed... :D
 thorkonnat
05-18-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by RichDiesal
I just found it extremely fitting that Jar Jar Binks, the ultimate hated character from Episode I, basically single-handedly brought about the fall of the Old Republic.

Actually he didn't.

The whole plan would be useless, if Amidala hadn't done her part in Palpy becoming chancellor.
 BigWolf
05-18-2002, 1:19 PM
If he had not done that then he would be one of many responsible for the fall of the jedi cause the clone army did knida save them, so basically he did both save and destroy everything
 Leagle
05-19-2002, 7:03 PM
He brought about the end of the Freedom! He should have lost the Podrace!
 Socabapu
05-23-2002, 5:11 PM
Palpatine's using everyone. He has it all planned out. But he just can't see the end and how Anakin will act when he starts picking on his brat in Ep 6. Just like at a softball game.
 DarthHitts
05-24-2002, 6:55 PM
:D :D :D

I was talking to some friends and we thought thought that it would be hilarious if in Ep.3 Jar-Jar realizes the error of his ways in electing palpitine and kills himself....I could see the suiside note now....meesa soooo soorry toosa electa palpitine.......ok I think its funny:D :D :D :D :D ;)
 delta_7890
05-24-2002, 8:22 PM
Originally posted by DarthHitts
:D :D :D

I was talking to some friends and we thought thought that it would be hilarious if in Ep.3 Jar-Jar realizes the error of his ways in electing palpitine and kills himself....I could see the suiside note now....meesa soooo soorry toosa electa palpitine.......ok I think its funny:D :D :D :D :D ;)

Somehow, I agree. Jar Jar shoving a vibro-blade in his gut would be hillarious indeed, and a note written as he speaks would floor me.
 saxman2001
05-24-2002, 11:42 PM
Okay, after Episode 1, I absolutey hated Jar Jar, I mean, obviously who didn't??? I think Lucas finally noticed all the critics hints and by Ep2 he turned JarJar into a cool little creature. He wasn't annoying, he only had few scenes, and he became an important character which led to the evolution of the whole star wars plot.

Two thumbs up to Lucas for turning the annoying into a true character!!!
Page: 1 of 1