Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

So many dead jedi

Page: 1 of 1
 Zindell
05-17-2002, 1:41 AM
It's funny in that final battle how many Jedi you see and recognize but they have no lines and most people will never know who they are. Like how often you see Plo Koon but they never even mention his name. For those who played the Jedi Star Fighter game they show you a glimpse of what looks to be Adi Gallia. It's just kinda cool that they threw in some familiar faces at that point but at the end of the movie I was left thinking who's left? which ones are still alive. I mean you saw yoda sitting in an empty council room with just his chair being there now is that tere to ay that the whole council died with the exception of Mace Windu and Yoda?
 GamerStryfe
05-17-2002, 7:03 AM
I think it was just those three in the Council Room because they were simply main characters, and were really the only ones that had anything relevant to say at the end of the movie. Several of the other Jedi made it out of there, but indeed many of them did die. I dunno, maybe they did it that way to provide emphasis on how few were actually left. Did you notice the shadow over the temple at the end?

The dark side clouds everything...ooooo.
 patchx
05-17-2002, 7:41 AM
did anyone notice how lame some of the other jedi fighting in the background were?

there were blaster bolts flying everywhere really fast but the no-name jedi were like in slow motion plus jango just shot one of them as easy as hell (which admittedly looked really cool)

none of the kickass invincibleness that was present in TPM

though maces tumble off the balcony while summersoulting and still deflecting blaster fire was pretty freaking awesome

Mace said something about there diminishing ability to use the force, maybe the jedi's crap fighting in the arena is proof of that

-patch
 Cracken
05-17-2002, 10:06 AM
Or maybe it was because they were facing overwhelming numbers, the likes of which they had never before seen. Besides, you figure nearly half of them were merely Padawans, who probably hadn't seen much in the way of action.
 Zindell
05-17-2002, 10:15 AM
yeah that's just it I wanted some perspective on how many were left after that.
 K_Kinnison
05-17-2002, 3:46 PM
actaully, i think with the last defensive circle there were about 15 Jedi (guessing) and i saw about 3 no name jedi get shot down when the Clone transport came.

THe squid, and all the Council, and named jedi lived.

Next movie they are going to drop like flies
 DarthNoodles
05-17-2002, 3:53 PM
I think most of the council survived.

2 things to remember:
1) They pulled some out of the arena and they then lead battalions into ground battle. I think we see about 10 jedi doing that.

2) There are surely Jedi left around the galaxy. Not ALL the Jedi would have been able to arrive on time so there will be many scattered throughout the galaxy.
 dorain8
05-17-2002, 4:13 PM
umm remember when yoda and obiwan were looking for the missing planet on the holocron thing

HELLO PEOPLE THERE WERE LIKE 20 KIDS TRAINING TO BE JEDI

DONT FORGET THEM
 Zindell
05-17-2002, 4:14 PM
Oh for sure they gathered what jedi they could. annd i don't think the only surviors would have been in that circle either. Just after seeing the council room empty like that I was sitting there like they can't all be dead can they, not yet at least. It looked like the council room but all their chairs were gone. I'm just looking foreward to seeing some of them go out in this really nice blaze of glory. didn't really get to see any of them die.
 Frizbee
05-23-2002, 3:16 AM
They had to make the Jedi numbers dwindle so that "Balance Boy" didn't have to spend the entire episode 3 walking around to chase down every one of the hundreds of Jedi...

This way, if included in Episode 3, Lucas just has to show Ani hunting down a few of the Jedi, as Obi-Wan told Luke in Episode 4 that Vader had helped hunt down and eradicate the Jedi.
 Ardesco
05-23-2002, 4:03 AM
You have to admit, though, it's a sad fact that one day, Darth Vader will end up killing all those little kids that Yoda's training if they survive to become a Jedi...
 Bluezman
05-23-2002, 10:45 AM
Waidaminute...

You don't really consider these 20 Kids Jedi, do you? They stay in the temple of Coruscant until some Jedi Master wants to take them as a Padawan. To some of them this never happens and they are sent to take on other tasks in the Republik (like the "Agricultural Corps" on planet idontremember, where Obi Wan was supposed to be sent until Qui Gonn finally accepted to take him as a Padawan, or to become a healer or whatever.) In any case they must leave the temple by the time they turn 12 years old.

So probably these kids never become Jedi Knights (you know, not all Jedi are Jedi Knights, some are just healers or farmers). If all the Jedi Knights are busy in the Clone Wars or die, they won't be able to train these Kids. And Yoda is not taking any Padawans (except Luke maybe...)

So there.
 Nookie
05-23-2002, 12:52 PM
The kids will probably become Sith and sent around different parts of the galaxy, but they're weak Sith.. so are never heard or seen of. I'm guessing..
 K_Kinnison
05-23-2002, 4:22 PM
I think Mace Widu said after emergancy powers were given

"I will gather the Jedi and rescue Obi-wan" or osmething similar.

I counted about 15-20 Jedi left in the defensive circle before the clone troopers came. I think i also say abut 5-10 no named jedi extras get killed.

the whole Jedi academy cannot be there for 12 kids.

and frankly BLuzman it seems your information is coming from Books, which really have no bearing on what the flanneled one does for his movies unless it is from the book for AotC
 Paragon_Leon
05-23-2002, 4:34 PM
I'm sure that no matter how many were left, they won't all be SEEN hunted down. It'll be handled with a matter-of-fact conversation in Ep. 3, while you may see SOME die at the hands of Anakin / Vader.

Besides; who says we'll see a black Vader hunt them down ?
Why not Anakin, turned to the dark side ?
 Bluezman
05-23-2002, 5:20 PM
the whole Jedi academy cannot be there for 12 kids.
Agreed. These 20 kids we saw in the movie were probably just like one CLASS in a school, there's probably more groups like that at different ages. They start around 4 and must leave by the age of 12, so there is probably more.

and frankly BLuzman it seems your information is coming from Books, which really have no bearing on what the flanneled one does for his movies unless it is from the book for AotC
Ah well, the Obi Wan part is from a book, ok. But it is clearly seen in the movies that a Jedi Master selects ONE Padawan. So for each kid in the academy there must be ONE Jedi Master to teach him. Considering that the Jedi take any kid from the Federation that is discovered to have abilities with the Force and put it in the Academy, they possibly cannot all be made Jedi Knights. Do the math.

they won't all be SEEN hunted down. It'll be handled with a matter-of-fact conversation in Ep. 3, while you may see SOME die at the hands of Anakin / Vader.
This sounds reasonable. Especially if you think of all the lose ends that have to be tied together in Episode III, that movie's gotta be 5 hours long!

Besides; who says we'll see a black Vader hunt them down ? Why not Anakin, turned to the dark side ?
I don't think that we see Vader do this. It'll be most likely Anakin because
1.) He's the main character of Episode III and they won't put him under that mask that early
2.) We know that Vaders injuries which force him to wear the mask he gets from a fight with Obi Wan. One can assume that the fight with Obi Wan comes rather late in the movie when most other Jedi will most likely have died already.
 shidobu
05-24-2002, 12:39 AM
Be careful what you expect of EPIII. Remember how much we expected from EpI before it was released? That's a large part of the reason so many people disliked it. Don't let the same happen in EpIII. Lucas wil obviously tie up many of these ends through a 5 second clip of dialogue, so be ready for that too.
 Sub_Woofer
05-25-2002, 11:10 AM
I thought they should have put more emphasis on the fact that many Jedi died in that battle... I think they tried to cut out too much of the violence, and it really shows. Its a pity, cos the movie would feel so much more tragic if they showed the battle-consequences more deeply, not just people getting hit in the background. Even a simple "we lost 15 Jedi in the battle" or something by Yoda could have worked... but alas, alot of the emotional impact was lost in favor of toy sales :(
 ValorXII
05-25-2002, 11:16 AM
I remember a line along the lines of "There is only a few thousand jedi in the Universe" or something like that. Not all of the Jedi would be at the battle as they are given assignments in locations eons away.
 Reb Starblazer
05-25-2002, 10:07 PM
I just had a thought about Anakin's speech after the tusken camp

"I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead, every single one of them. And not just the men, but the women and the children too."

Does this seem like some kind of foreshadowing of Anakin's future Jedicide? Anakin kills all of the tuskens, including women and children. There's not too much hope for those younglings living to become Jedi Knights, sorry to say.
I think a chilling scene for Episode III would be to see Anakin walking down a hallway in the Jedi temple, and having a few Jedi Knights attack him. He just parries once or twice, cuts them down, and moves on to the next. Then at the end of the hall, he enters a room to see a group of those kids huddling together. He enters the room, ignites his lightsabre, and the door closes behind him. Now that, would show the true evil of Vader.
 Coop
05-26-2002, 1:05 AM
The AoTC book states there are about 10,000 Jedi Knights in the galaxy during the time of Ep2.
 Ewok Hunter
05-26-2002, 3:18 AM
what ever happened to yaddle (sp?) i thought she was part of the council but i didn't see her at all in ep 2
 OldSkoolJedi
05-26-2002, 3:37 AM
Originally posted by Reb_Starblazer
I Then at the end of the hall, he enters a room to see a group of those kids huddling together. He enters the room, ignites his lightsabre, and the door closes behind him. Now that, would show the true evil of Vader.

Wow, That Is TRUE Sith Behaviour It Gave Me Shivers Just Reading It....

You Should Get Lucas To Give You Rights To Star Wars When He Dies !
 ValorXII
05-26-2002, 9:39 AM
"I think a chilling scene for Episode III would be to see Anakin walking down a hallway in the Jedi temple, and having a few Jedi Knights attack him. He just parries once or twice, cuts them down, and moves on to the next. Then at the end of the hall, he enters a room to see a group of those kids huddling together. He enters the room, ignites his lightsabre, and the door closes behind him. Now that, would show the true evil of Vader."

Very nicely done. I imagine something very similar, like.

Anakin walking down a hallway in the Jedi temple, and having a few Jedi Knights attack him. He just parries once or twice, cuts them down, and moves on to the next. Then at the end of the hall, he enters a room to see a group of those kids huddling together. He enters the room, ignites his lightsabre, and the door closes behind him. We hear some chilling music, one of the kids screaming, and then it cuts to another scene.
 razorace
05-28-2002, 1:47 AM
While that's some chilling imagry, it's not going to happen. Lucas is making the films to be mostly child friendly, having Vader kill children isn't going to get a PG rating.

Sides, personally, I don't believe Anakin fully turns until the end of Episode III. Remember what Obi said about the transistion between Anakin and Darth Vader. It seemed to tie in directly to the lava pit battle. Plus, even Vader couldn't take on a temple full of Jedi at once, I think it's going to be the clonetroopers....
 Redwing
05-28-2002, 2:49 AM
There's thousands of Jedi, first of all.

Their ability to use the Force is dwindling, as the Dark Side grows in power.

They are weakening. No longer are they the invincible warriors of reputation. And thus, they will start to die...

When Anakin turns to the Dark Side, he will be incredibly powerful, while the remaining Jedi are even further weakened than the present. And when the Jedi purge comes, well...
Page: 1 of 1