Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Death Star

Page: 1 of 1
 Elegy
05-16-2002, 9:22 AM
Anyone notice the Death Star plans at the end that Count Dooku delivers to Sidious? I guess that completely blows the Maw Installation right out of the water, because the book series said that it was created there and that Grand Moff Tarkin had founded that research installation. Obviously there weren't any Moffs yet since the Empire was only *just* born at the end of this movie (or at least definately heavily shoved in that direction). I realize though that Lucas doesn't consider the books his universe, and has no problem contradicting them. But still, I found this little bit in Ep2 interesting, to say the least. Thoughts?
 GidionTheDead
05-16-2002, 10:12 AM
None of the books are considered canon, although certain elements have been taken up by the prequels and the Special Edition (think Outrider).
The Ultimate weapon scene really gave me a shiver (of joy).
 lionsault9
05-16-2002, 11:06 AM
Aiya!!! Because darth sidiousin actual fact is palpatine. palpatine is the one who instigated nute gunray to attack naboo thus creating a crisis so that supreme chancellor valorum will be removed from power. sidious know that valorum has no power and that he is only a puppet of all the corrupt senators. with him as chancellor, he created yet another crisis in episode 2 so that the senate will ive him power to create a clone army. from there, once he is in charge of the army, he slowly reinforced power and founded the galactic empire. no one dares to stop him as he is powerful. didn't u hear darth sidious to dooku that everything is going as he has planned and forseened.
 Perniciosus
05-16-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by lionsault9
Aiya!!! Because darth sidiousin actual fact is palpatine. palpatine is the one who instigated nute gunray to attack naboo thus creating a crisis so that supreme chancellor valorum will be removed from power. sidious know that valorum has no power and that he is only a puppet of all the corrupt senators. with him as chancellor, he created yet another crisis in episode 2 so that the senate will ive him power to create a clone army. from there, once he is in charge of the army, he slowly reinforced power and founded the galactic empire. no one dares to stop him as he is powerful. didn't u hear darth sidious to dooku that everything is going as he has planned and forseened.

Yep, and I, being the evil, powerhungry bastage that I am, have the most profound respect for Palpatine. :p He could definately play the good guy role when needed to get his way only to have a well-planned ulterior motive beneath his niceity. :deathii:
 thrEEpaGe
05-16-2002, 11:21 AM
It is funny to see you guys debate about what happened in Episode II, especially since I have known the plot since April 23 :P
 Zaarin
05-16-2002, 11:23 AM
Did everyone notice his face getting paler, and the scars/disfigoration (sp?) on his cheek?

I wonder who flogs the death star plans? Still, that's 20+ years down the track.
 GidionTheDead
05-16-2002, 2:13 PM
The Clone Army was just created and the plans for the deathstar are still in alpha testing ( :D ).

With the empire being in full power (around Episode 4-6) it took approx. 5 years to build the (not completed!) second deathstar.
With the senate in his back and the Jedi still posing a threat, it sure takes at least 15 years to build a spacestation of that size!

And don't forget that he had all the civil workers on the second Deathstar! "Oh, those damned rebels! I am in the trade union!" (think Clerks)
 Mark_Li
05-16-2002, 3:42 PM
This doesnt **** up the books at all. The Maw Installation thing is perfectly feasible...in Episode II, the Death Star is merely a set of plans for a Geonosian Battlestation. Its taken to Palpatine for "safekeeping" which obviously shows how he got the idea for the Death Star.
 Mirko
05-16-2002, 5:17 PM
There were also some Guns on the "Tanks" that fired just like the Deathstar, but just smaller...
 Jake
05-16-2002, 5:22 PM
I didnt like that they felt it was necessary to show the closeup of Palpatine's hand waving the plans around in front of our faces. I thought it was excessive and ruined the coolness of that plan.

I did like that it explained why those ships in episode 1 were spherical though.
 Demolisher
05-16-2002, 5:46 PM
What I don't get is who makes both the clones and droids? Palpatine made the clones so they will get used by the Jedi to kill the droids he has made?! He's got some clever plan it seems :D
 Elegy
05-16-2002, 6:11 PM
Originally posted by Mark_Li
This doesnt **** up the books at all. The Maw Installation thing is perfectly feasible...in Episode II, the Death Star is merely a set of plans for a Geonosian Battlestation. Its taken to Palpatine for "safekeeping" which obviously shows how he got the idea for the Death Star.
Yeah, I suppose you're right the Maw Installation can still be plausible, but it changes things. I mean Palpatine doesn't have Moffs yet, right? Yet a Moff (Tarkin) created that station and hired the scientists there. There's workarounds, sure. You could say that Tarkin wasn't yet an appointed Moff, he was just another trusted trump card Palpatine had hidden away at the time. But it's just the way the books presented it, the Empire was already established and all that junk when the Death Star plans were conceived. Clearly that's not the case anymore since the plans were finished and delivered right as Palpatine gained control of things.

Bleh. I just re-read your post and realized you meant what we saw could have been something completely different. Hmm...perhaps. Dunno though because I saw the superlaser on there that was what distinguished it for me and I said "holy crap! the death star!" Still, perhaps those plans were relayed from the Maw to Geonosia or something. I guess Maw Installation isn't completely as blown off as I originally thought, but to make it plausible now it seems that a few minor details will have to be amended or added on.
 Wossname
05-16-2002, 7:27 PM
Demolisher: Palpatine & Dooku make the droids in order to give the republic a reason for the creation of the clone army. The clone army mowed through the droids quite easily (Ep 1. showed how useless a droid army is), but it was all a diversion. Now palpatine is in control of a powerful army made up of Jango Fett clones, and it is with this that he will sieze and maintain control of the republic, turning it into the empire.
 Pogwaffle
05-16-2002, 10:59 PM
Those Trade Federation 'sphere' starships( the one that crashes down in a cloud of smoke) are like a small deathstar and when I was looking in the visual illustrations cross-section book they have the same hypermatter core as the death star. Maybe same technology?
 GidionTheDead
05-16-2002, 11:28 PM
I haven't seen that cut-away yet, but a lot of ships have similar power cores. Yet the resemblance is striking!
 Zaarin
05-16-2002, 11:37 PM
Another reason why Palpatine may have developed both the droid army and the clone army is this:

Palpatine new that the droids are not as good as clones, but they are still a threat in large numbers. Also, the trade/banking/tech etc. federations are somewhat in charge at the moment, they've got the best army, and they might not like Palpatine starting a dictatorship around them. By making battle with the clones, he draws their attention away from him (because they think they are fighting the republic/jedi) and also cuts their army down to a more managable size.

Old Palpatine is on the ball...
 Darth Iroel
05-16-2002, 11:54 PM
I noticed too that palpatine seems getting older and pale...he will become the old emperor we know....
 Zindell
05-17-2002, 12:40 AM
yeah i think everyone started to notice that.
 Cracken
05-17-2002, 12:55 AM
The Death Star plans were TOTALLY unexpected! When they said "Ultimate Weapon", I thought of something like a precursor to the Death Star, but seeing the actual Death Star plans sent chills up my spine. Also, the way that the film ended with the Imperial March was excellent.
Page: 1 of 1