Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Episode 2 = Guff

Page: 1 of 1
 Spaff
05-16-2002, 1:42 AM
What do you get if you cross Dawsons creek with Industrial Light and Magic?

After all the expectations and people saying it was like the original films.. i found out that no... it made epidode 1 look good

the humour was.. bizarre.. the acting was worse than ever before
Teen Agnst a plenty..

i enjoyed the film overall, but only becase Some of it will ead into the other films.

There is no actual plot... and the only saviour was Ms Portman in her white outfit.... oh also Yoda kicking ass was funy.. but not cool.

ARHGH!!!!!!!!!

also why is the char animation so crap?

i believe that after a few viewings i may begin to enjoy this film more.
 Alien426
05-16-2002, 3:21 AM
I liked Episode 2 better than 1. By far!
The romance between Anakin and Amidala (by the way, wasn't her first name supposed to be Rainha instead of Padme???) was done quite decent. It wasn't so much to show their love, but to show how Anakin has changed.
The concentration on Anakin as the main character works better than that mish-mash of Eps 1 - much like with the original trilogy's Luke Skywalker.
 Wossname
05-16-2002, 3:56 AM
I thought it was great. I enjoyed it all, particularly the opening scenes on Coruscant. I thought the humour worked well, and the action sequences were varied and exciting. The locations were pretty cool, too. The portents of Anakin's dark future were well done.

Absolute high point: Yoda with a light saber. Pity the fight was so short. (Sure, the fact that he was CGI stood out, but then the fact that he was a puppet before stood out just as much)

Much better than Episode 1. Probably better than Jedi. I'll have to see it a few more times to be sure where to place it.
 Crazy_dog no.3
05-16-2002, 4:39 AM
I have to wait to the weekend.:(
 Arthorus
05-16-2002, 4:58 AM
This movie was INCREDIBLE--it blew episode 1 out of the water.

Christensen (sp?), [who I will envy until my dying day] did a good job, especially during the latter half of the film--as did all of the actors. The fight scenes were fantastic. The war shots were smart and intense. And the effects were integrated wonderfully into the movie, rather than making the entire film seem like Lucas was out to stretch his ILM muscles. I even brought yoda hook, line, and sinker, though his fight scene was a bit far-fetched.

In all, Clones was everything Phantom should have been and more.
 Tijjo
05-16-2002, 7:09 AM
Ohboy do i have mixed feelings.

But so was the case with episode I as well, and after more than 20 viewings Im finally getting used to, and even getting quite fond of jarjar.

I dont soubt the same thing goes for this entire movie. It does have its severely weak points. I hated the lars homestead shots, they didnt even feel ... as if they were part of a movie, it was just plain dumb, lousy acting, etc.

But come on, theres a whooole lotta stuff to compensate that with. Anakin with two lightsabers, yoda kicking ass, coruscant in fog, so on and soforth... damnit, the more I think of it the more I like it. T'was a fine movie. It'l just need a whole lotta more viewings before we can accept the locations and characters as part of the starwars universe. Especially since coruscant is shown in such an earthly way. Kinda scared me actually, didnt feel the least like starwars, more like an odd cyperpunk vision of our future here on earth.

And by the way, Natalie portman loooks damn fine in this flic, and her acting is great. But Hayden on the other hand didnt play very well, yet somehow he made a perfect anakin.

The one thing I know every one is gonna hate no matter how many times we watch it, is the crappy CG yoda. FINE, he couldve been CG, but WHY oh WHY idd they have to change is facial expressions so much? Were used to seing him with 3-4 muscles in his face, now he was behaving like som friggin superfreak with a billion muscles/square centimeter.

Oh well. I'll forever hate ILM for that.

Nevertheless, the movie kicked ass. Quit bustin its balls!
 Elegy
05-16-2002, 7:57 AM
Oh my hell, this movie rocked. **** it, take away all of it and look only at Yoda busting Count Dooku's balls, and even that right there would make this movie well worth the hours of linestanding and $8.50 I paid to get in. Nevermind the fact that the rest of the movie owns all as well, but that could just be a biased Star Wars freak talking here. I loved every minute of this. It was interesting to see Boba Fett's roots, and damn cool to see the Empire come to fruition. Curse that little bastard Jar Jar for managing to spearhead Palpatine's rise to dictatorship LOL. I was rolling in my chair to see that, I'd like to think it's a private little joke from George Lucas to us all in acknowledgement of how many of us hate Jar Jar. Damn good movie though. Damn good. I'm going back to the theaters tommorrow LOL.
 Cope
05-16-2002, 8:26 AM
well imo the movie kicked ass. But my favorite aspects of it were the ways it foreshadowed anakin starting to turn to the darkside. Maybe im weird but that was some of the best parts to me. I saw the midnight release, ill go this weekend and im goin again monday. Star Wars > U
 DIUM
05-16-2002, 9:34 AM
I havent seen it yet, and was woried when spaff said it was bad. Good thing the majority likes it. I cant wait to see it!
 GidionTheDead
05-16-2002, 10:20 AM
Well, Coruscant was shown in the way Rick McCallum <sp> and Lucas always saw it. Read the Illustraded Guide to Star Wars or the Rogue Squadron books.

(I think he did a great work with some scenes being a clear homage to Blade Runner!)
 Perniciosus
05-16-2002, 10:59 AM
Yes, I'm a freak. I didn't stand in line for a 12:01 showing, no.. That would be too mainstream. lol. No, instead I got to go to a 30 person only 9pm screening last night at a 2-screen theatre a good 35 miles from my house.. but hey, Star Wars knows no bounds for me and I have several friends in that area (including one who works at the theater, hence the ability to get in).

Anyway, Episode 2 blew Episode 1 away, definately. And, I daresay, it brought back feelings of the original trilogy for me.

Say what you will, but there were definately some parts in the new flick that seemed very much like the originals. The battle on Geonosis was as epic as the battle on and over Yavin IV, IMO.

I kind of liked the new CGI Yoda; lets face it, it could have been much worse. The first time I saw Ep 1 I cringed at the horrible CGI.. at least the CGI in Ep2 was FAR, FAR better and seemed seamless with the live action aspects of the movie.

I only had two very minor problems with the movie, neither of which will keep me from seeing it again: Some of Hayden Christiansen's acting was really poor.. but I can overlook that because he's not exactly a well-known actor yet and suddenly he's thrust into this role of Anakin Skywalker - destined to become one of the most familiar baddies in the Star Wars Universe. (sarcasm) No pressure, kid, no pressure. (/sarcasm)
Secondly, I thought it jumped around too much in some spots... Naboo, Kamino, Naboo, Corsucant, Naboo, Kamino, Tatooine, Geonosis... it seemed, in musical terms, very staccatto in the middle of the flick.

Overall, I thought Episode 2 was damn good. And the fact that the line of "I got a bad feeling about this" just made me smile even wider.

I do recommend that everyone pick up the book and read it. I read it before the movie simply for more background into things (i.e. Shmi between Episode 1 and Episode 2; A far superior background of the Lars family (chapters 1-3 in the book are ALL on Tatooine, just to give you some idea, all about Shmi and the Lars family); Jango and his relationship with his 'son'; Anakin and his nightmares). I knew, outright, that the movie and book weren't going to be the exact same, though, for the most important parts, they were and I would have liked the movie regardless of whether I had read the book or not, but reading the book and having more small bits of information about the background of characters did make it more enjoyable (did anyone notice that it was Qui-Gon yelling from beyond the grave at Anakin as he sliced and diced some Tuskens - not Obi-Wan as some people in the theatre thought? Probably not because it was really difficult to place the voice of quick soundbyte in the movie, but a big deal was made of it in the book).

I suppose if I had to rate the SW flicks in terms of my favs, it would be in this order now: Ep 5, Ep 4, Ep 2, Ep 6, Ep 1. Ep 1 is always going to be last. Oh well.
 Treacherous Mercenary
05-16-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Crazy_dog no.3
I have to wait to the weekend.:(

Same here, but it looks and sounds great. I can't wait to see Yoda own!
 Zaarin
05-16-2002, 12:01 PM
At this stage i think:

Ep5, Ep2, Ep4, Ep6, Ep1

Although it's a toss up between Episodes 6 and 1, and I'm also starting to lean towards 2 instead of 5 due to the battles.
 Cmdr. Cracken
05-16-2002, 1:41 PM
I thought the movie was superb. Yeah the acting kinda blew, but it's not horrible. could be alot worse. (READ:CROSSROADS) *shiver*

it's right up there with Ep.5 in my book.
 GidionTheDead
05-16-2002, 2:20 PM
but reading the book and having more small bits of information about the background of characters did make it more enjoyable (did anyone notice that it was Qui-Gon yelling from beyond the grave at Anakin as he sliced and diced some Tuskens - not Obi-Wan as some people in the theatre thought? Probably not because it was really difficult to place the voice of quick soundbyte in the movie, but a big deal was made of it in the book).

Yeah. The guy sitting next to me asked "Who was that?" and after I said "Qui-Gon Jin", he asked "Who?".
 Perniciosus
05-16-2002, 2:59 PM
Originally posted by GidionTheDead

Yeah. The guy sitting next to me asked "Who was that?" and after I said "Qui-Gon Jin", he asked "Who?".

Seriously? Jeez. I hope you had the immediate reaction to smack the person afterwards. lol.

Not that I can really say much: One of the few people who was at that early 'friends only' type showing had been coerced to see the flim but had never seen any of the others. And I mean never. At the end of the movie a group of us had to practically recount the entire original trilogy & episode 1 history to her so she'd understand what she just watched...
 Swoosh
05-16-2002, 3:10 PM
That sucks...I think someone must see all the other films to enjoy episode 2. I'm gonna make sure that anyone I take (ie girlfriend) understands the rest of the trilogy before I take them. I'll probably be watching 4 more star wars movies this weekend :).

Swoosh
 spacelord
05-16-2002, 3:13 PM
So it was Qui-gon....I thought so....none of my friends even noticed it....
 Radner
05-16-2002, 3:17 PM
I have yet to see the movie but I'm really excited. What makes it even better is, is that today (May 16) is my birthday! What a day! Presents, money, fine dining, and Episode II!! Who could ask for more? I cant wait to see Obi-Wan duel with Jango on Kamino! That looks great! And the editing community will really buzz now! Cant wait for a JK II mp level "Kamino". Today RULES! YEAH!
 Cmdr. Cracken
05-16-2002, 3:25 PM
I didn't hear anyone cry out Anakin, No! when he went BESERK on those Tuskens. I will ahve to see it again.
 GamerStryfe
05-16-2002, 3:27 PM
Yes, I did recoginize that voice in the background, and I thought it was very, very cool.

When I first sat down and started to watch this movie (after 20 minutes of previews including that tease of a Matrix "trailer"), I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm sure that the feeling was mutual in that aspect for a lot of people reading this. For nearly the first hour of the film, I thought, "My god, it's another Episode One." A lot of the scenes were...well..goofy.

But as the movie went on, I had a giant change of heart. Everything came together at the end, and I truly think that this it was one of, if not the greatest Star Wars films of all time. I disagree with those of you who say it had no plot, because it was the plot that saved the film for me. The final battle was incredible, both sides sincerely thought they were fighting in the name of good. And to see that the Death Star was originally a weapon to be used against the Dark Lord, well, that blew my mind.

This movie brought back a lot of the essence that is Star Wars. Some would say that they just copied the scenes, but they weren't copied at all.

I'll be the first to admit that I thought Episode One was cool. Sure, they made some of their characters a little too "colorful," for the interests of the many adults that viewed the film. But they learned from that. To say you don't like Episode Two is to say that you don't like Star Wars, because that was how the story goes. Why do you think they put so much effort into the final scene with the Clone Warriors getting onto the "Republic" ships? I can still hear the Imperial Overture.

I have a feeling people aren't going to like Episode Three. It'll be the most tragic Star Wars movie. But what's Lucas going to do? Have Anakin and Padme live happily ever after at the end? No, becuase Anakin will be Vader by that point, and he'll kill most of the heroes that we got to know in the past two movies.

Hehe, I guess this was a little long...well, it was a long movie, so I'll leave it as a long commentary.
 Lee_Wyndwalker
05-16-2002, 3:29 PM
but not really comparable to any so far. It quite simply had so much that it had to do, so naturally the overall story, dialogue, etc. is going to be lacking. But I actually respected the movie alot more for what it did accomplish, think of every link to Episode 4 that the movie had. Like I said, it's alot to take in and the movie moves extremely quick, bouncing around from scene to scene.

Count Dooku rocked, I want that Saber and a one handed style to use in JKII.

The CGI didn't bother me, it's a natural progression of things, even Yoda. I didn't like the fact that Yoda normally hobbles around but when the time comes to fight all of a sudden he's amazing leaping around, flipping, etc. However, the Yoda fight with Dooku was quite entertaining.

I loved this movie, the CGI takes a bit to get used to, because there is simply so much of it, but other than that, the story, the plot, the success of linking it with the Trilogy is great.

I saw it last night at Midnight and am seeing it again today at 6:30 :)

By the way, the rankings in movies should most definately go like this. Ep 5, Ep 2, Ep 6, Ep 4, Ep 1...I'm tempted to put A New Hope last, but Jar Jar takes the cake.

Star Wars junkie since I was a month old and was taken to the first movie :)
 GamerStryfe
05-16-2002, 3:34 PM
What you have to realize about Yoda, is that he's like the pope of the Jedi, he doesn't use the force to help him walk around, but since his body is weak and tired, he hobbles around on that cane. Of course when he gets pissed off and busts out the lightsaber, he's got the force moving him around like a maniac. And even though I laughed like everyone else when I saw the scene (how could you not), it was really cool.
 i-Spic
05-16-2002, 4:57 PM
It was, i mean, it IS cool!
 bearvolticus
05-16-2002, 5:59 PM
i enjoyed the movie. just one question though. how come Dooku didn't feel a disturbance in the force while Obi-Wan was spying on him?
 Homosexual Ewok
05-16-2002, 6:26 PM
The Good

1-I went into it almost convinced Hayden Christensen was going to be the annoying twerp he was made out to be in all of the trailers. I have to admit though, that he really portrayed the range of emotions his character went through perfectly. The whole "I slaughtered them like animals" scene was one of the best scenes in the trilogy.

2-The relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan was portrayed excellent. When Ewan McGregor speaks it's had not to picture Alec Guiness in the original movies.

3-Yoda's fight scene. Once again, I thought it was going to look cheesy, but this simply was amazing (the saber combat at least).

4-Ian McDiarmid, although he did not have many lines, was great. In the first movie (Phantom Menace) he kind of seemed like he was just reading his lines right off the script, but this time you really got the feeling he was one evil dude. The scene in his office with Anakin was great.

5-The locations. Coruscant was amazing, in Phantom every location just seemed like a big background painting with no life to it.

6-A lot of people complained about the Lars scenes, but I think they were great. When Anakin gets back with the body of his mother the "eat you-know-what and die" look he throws Owen was great. I also like the part where Owen asks Anakin "where are you going?" The cold almost hateful way Anakin replies, "to find my mother" to Owen was great. It was as if he was saying, if you had any balls you would be doing it yourself you coward. This really did a good job of showing why Owen has a mad-on for Luke's Father in the first film.

The Bad

1-Christopher Lee. I am a big fan of his work, and after his performance in Lord of the Rings, I thought his performance would simply be amazing. His lines were lame as Hell and his physical acting during final battle was just so over the top cheesy sci-fi villain”ish” I really cringed when the camera cut to him. He looked like an old Buck Rogers villain during the scene with Force lightning blast. Granted I think a lot of the reason I found his character so lame has to do with #2...

2-The editing. 90% of you read the script, the comic, or the novel. So going into this you knew who Count Dooku was and more or less why he was doing what he was. But for someone who was spoiler free think about it. You get a brief mention of his name during the first few minutes of the film, then not a mention or a word about him until the last few minutes of the film. The decision to cut out the scene in the Jedi library where Jocasta Nu goes into detail about Dooku with Obi-Wan was one of the biggest mistakes of this film. The Dooku character was more of an "extra" than a major villain. I admit the scene where he was speaking to Obi-Wan right after he was captured was great, I just wish there was more of these scenes to flesh out his character.

3-The C-3PO head on a battle droid scene was lame and out of character.

4-The scene in the field where Anakin rode the beast (I have no idea what it is called) on Naboo was one of the worst special effects I have ever seen. To say it looked fake is one Hell of an understatement.

5-The droid factory scenes. Super Mario Brothers anyone?

6-Yoda playing general during the final battle. Once again out of character, and really lame. His lines were basically:
Yoda: Shoot those guys there!
Clone Trooper: Yes Sir!

7-The Dooku/Anakin saber fight. What was the deal with cutting back and forth between the two characters and showing nothing more than blue and red flashes over their heads? This had to have been the worst saber fight in any of the films.

Overall I enjoyed the film. I think it did a much better job fleshing out the characters (except Dooku) and making them feel "real". Any film will have things that do not appeal to each viewer, those are mine. The film had a fast pace and quite frankly, I was much more interested in the characters than the special effects.
 JediCrow
05-16-2002, 7:39 PM
Originally posted by DIUM
I havent seen it yet, and was woried when spaff said it was bad. Good thing the majority likes it. I cant wait to see it!

Heh don't listen to one hater in the sea of people that like this movie. Yes they tend to stick out like a sore thumb, but there are plenty of ppl who really enjoy this movie and there are pleny of things to enjoy about it. I'm sure it has its faults that you could go on all day about depending on your point of view, but none of that could change that fact that this is the Star Wars movie many fans have been waiting years to see. I don't think we'll be seeing any "Phantom Edits" here...
 Arcon
05-16-2002, 8:54 PM
Originally posted by Homosexual Ewok
The Dooku/Anakin saber fight. What was the deal with cutting back and forth between the two characters and showing nothing more than blue and red flashes over their heads? This had to have been the worst saber fight in any of the films.

i agree, this fight was very odd, the camera guy was probably straight out of NYPD Blue. i was totally lsot at this point and didnt know who was winning. it wasnt helped by anakin cutting the power to the lights.
 [UESC]Winn
05-16-2002, 9:33 PM
i thought the anakin/dooku fight was well done. it showed how anakin had the same lightsaber style as that of an evil villian, an insight for the future. as far as i know, jedi's are supposed to be defensive lightsaber fighters, whereas both dooku's and anakins were aggressive, with their sabers over their heads ready for a strike, not a defend.
you then see dooku in dispair and out of breath after he slices anakins arm off, possibly realising that anakin is the best he has ever faught and with more training (anger?) will be the best.
 patchx
05-16-2002, 9:42 PM
the dooku - anakin fight was meant to convey more of anakins character then it was to be a flashy good looking saber fight

and i thought it did really well, he obviously taxed dooku more then obi-wan did

i have seen it twice now and it is so freakin cool i have a big dumb grin on my face for about an hour afterwards

its got all the stuff that i was waiting to see in ep1 (which sucked)

jango rocked and the way mace dispatched him shows his power and confidence well

i think the anakin vs mace fight in ep3 is gonna be the best in any of the trilogy (jackson has hinted that only anakin could take out mace, i know the script isnt written yet but lucas coulda dropped some hints to jackson about his character)

-patch
 GidionTheDead
05-16-2002, 9:42 PM
i thought the anakin/dooku fight was well done. it showed how anakin had the same lightsaber style as that of an evil villian, an insight for the future. as far as i know, jedi's are supposed to be defensive lightsaber fighters, whereas both dooku's and anakins were aggressive, with their sabers over their heads ready for a strike, not a defend.

I haven't seen it that way. Good point.
 hutdo
05-16-2002, 11:57 PM
They did the scene that way inpart i think as a dramatic effect. I think the more you look into that scence the more you understand. Different people will see it differently, which is one of the reason why this movie ROCKs.
 Mr Tim
05-17-2002, 12:06 AM
I thought the Anakin-Dooku sabre fight was great, especially after Anakin cuts the power cord and you just see the strobing effect of the sabre flashes.

And yes - Natalie Portman in the white outift (and also in that black dress) was a major point in favour of this film.

I also thought that seeing Yoda as a general was very cool - and not out of character. You never really see much of his character elsewhere, except for his role as a wise mentor. In fact, this is the first film so far where you've seen Jedi go to war, so in that way the fact of having any Jedi in a big battle is out of character. I thought it was actually quite fitting for Yoda's character to have him as a general.

That said, his dialogue in those scenes was pretty bad/corny:
-here, take me;
-there, take me;
-this, you should defend;
-that, you must shoot down.
 GamerStryfe
05-17-2002, 6:57 AM
I can think of one part when the Imperial March was played in Phantom Menace. When Young Anakin was being questioned by the Council (I think), Yoda says something about the dark side, and there's a little Imperial tune playing in the background. I'm pretty sure that's the part, I know it's in there somewhere.
 Spaff
05-17-2002, 11:13 AM
I tjhink after a Second viewing i wil learn to appreciate this film a bit more, i will be able to look deeper and further into some scenes, and probably lik eit way way more.
after all i like eP1 more than i did the first time.

but that will NEVER take away the pain of C3PO's lines, a flying R2
terrible script, bad GCI, poor fighting scenes etc etc etc

i did enjoy myself, A LOT, so im being way harsher than i should be BUT .. now go and watch Empire.... it blows ep2 away.
dont anyone dare to say this movie is better than the originals, just look at them, lsten to them.
there is no out of place comedy for a start. any comedy is played down.

"what a drag" - c3po

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

there are some reviews on www.mixnmojo.com), mine included
 ldeviator
05-17-2002, 12:34 PM
Yep.. Ep2 kicked ass.. Loved it.
Page: 1 of 1