Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

More FreeBSD ?'s

Page: 1 of 1
 Jakara
05-09-2002, 1:40 AM
I finally got my server up and running and just have a couple of ?'s

1. I am running a 950 mhz machine with 512 ram, on FreeBSD 4.5, on a Megebit connection (1meg up and 1meg down). What are the best setting to run a server like this with??

Maxrate
Maxping
Etc......

2. I have heard you shouldnt run any of your games under the root logon. What kind of user should I create and what groups and rights should I set up on the user. A walkthrough on setting the employee would help.

3. Is there any Anti cheat software out there for JK2 or is the game preatty rock solid.

4. What is the best command line to start the server, and is there a command you put in the command line to have the server auto restart on shutdown.

5. Is there a Stats program for JK2, like psychostats or somthing.

Thanks For all the help
Jakara
 MatrixCPA
05-09-2002, 2:37 AM
I'll answer the parts I can. I don't use FreeBSD.

1) sv_maxrate 10000 is more than sufficient. sv_maxping is up to you. Some people want to keep out the modem users and people trying to connect from a great distance. If you have questions about other specific settings, just ask.

2) That's right. You should generally NEVER run anything as root. In fact, you should setup a user that has as few permissions as possible--just enough to run the server. How to do it? Hopefully a BSD user can help you with that. ;)

3) The closest thing we have to anti-cheat is to set sv_pure "1". That at least tries to make sure that the clients are using unaltered files. I'm sure there are still ways to cheat and there's not much that can be done about it.

4) There is not a command line parameter which restarts the server if it crashes. You should use a script for that. Other than that, the most important parameters to pass in the command line would be +set dedicated 2 +exec server.cfg You can, of course, name your config file differently if you wish.

5) There are a few stat packages out. Some run on windows only, some are cgi based and some are perl based. Check around and see what works for you.
 uteboy
05-09-2002, 3:25 AM
I just create another standard user with adduser. Normally I use vipw to make the user running games have a shell of /sbin/nologin but unfortunately you cannot so this with quake engine games.

Do not add the user to goup wheel. Give them some really wierd password that you only have to enter twice, after that it doesn't matter if you forget it.

The jk2 files can all still be owned by root, as long as the are readable by the user and the important ones are executable ( ie jk2ded). There is no need for anything to be writable.

the easiest way to get it to restart is use a script like the following. Put the first one in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and the second into your jk2 directory ( you may have to edit them slightly to reflect where you have the game installed, mine is /usr/loca/jediknight

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/jedistarter.sh :
#!/bin/sh

#script file to start up the jk2server
case x$1 in
xstart)
if [ -x /usr/local/jediknight/startjk2.sh ] ; then
echo -n " Jedi Knight 2"
/usr/bin/su quake -c '/usr/local/jediknight/startjk2.sh &'
fi
;;

xstop)
;;
esac

/usr/local/jediknight/startjk2.sh :

#!/bin/sh

if [ -x /usr/local/jediknight/jk2ded ] ; then
while true
do
cd /usr/local/jediknight/
/usr/local/bin/screen -D -m ./jk2ded +set dedicated 2 +exec server.cfg
sleep 30
echo restarting jk2 server
done
fi

note that I'm also running the server console inside a screen
 NerfYoda
05-10-2002, 1:54 AM
Originally posted by Jakara
I finally got my server up and running and just have a couple of ?'s

2. I have heard you shouldnt run any of your games under the root logon. What kind of user should I create and what groups and rights should I set up on the user. A walkthrough on setting the employee would help.

I've created a user called "jediadmin" with no login shell in the group "jediadmin". I've given group read, write & execute privs to my startup scripts, jk stat loggers, qstat & the jk2ded binary (& their related files). I give group privs like so an account with an actual login shell can edit files & such. Youll never want to run the server as root because if in the unfortunate case a user finds out how to execute system commands via your jk2 server your box would be "proper-f*cked, mate". How to add a user? Check the handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook).

3. Is there any Anti cheat software out there for JK2 or is the game preatty rock solid.

None that I know of. The game seems pretty solid, although this (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52405) concerns me...

4. What is the best command line to start the server, and is there a command you put in the command line to have the server auto restart on shutdown.

See the 2nd page of the Linux server how-to thread. I use the startjk2/holdjk2 method described there & works like a charm.

5. Is there a Stats program for JK2, like psychostats or somthing.

I use the Jedi Knight 2 Logger (http://jk2.gamersimpact.com) & am currently writing a Perl based frontend to qstat just for JK2 :)

Thanks For all the help
Jakara

Up the FreeBSD admins! OiOiOi!

_____
NerfYoda
aka DJ Sith
I run the game server & do various odd jobs for the Jedi Academy (http://academy.jediknightii.net).
Page: 1 of 1