Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

vis wont run??

Page: 1 of 1
 JumboMonkeyfish
04-27-2002, 9:18 PM
hey i finally got past all the freaking sof2 crashes and i can now compile my map, but for some reason when i do it doesnt run vis at all (i know cus all textures are at max brightness). help me!!
 Mr. Nip
04-27-2002, 9:41 PM
'vis' computes visibility - I don't think it has anything to do with lighting. Can you give more information? What menu option are you using? What is displayed in the DOS box that pops up?
 JumboMonkeyfish
04-27-2002, 9:47 PM
well ya vis calculates the way the light bounces, and i know this from experience mapping using worldcraft for CS. I am using bsp FullVis, but when i go ingame, it is obvious that everything is as bright as possible and the light entities have no effect on the brightness.

and when i run bsp fullvis, it goes thru the bsp process, i can play the map, but it ends and then it gives a filepath...

C://Program Files/LucasArts/JKII/GameData/base

or something, then below that filepath it simply says "C:\" like my bsp commands are getting screwed around with and their full instructions are not there/not being read....
 JumboMonkeyfish
04-27-2002, 11:42 PM
oops i was wrong VIS doesnt calculate light (but i still am not sure if its running), RAD does the light.... but i dont think rad is running either. its like my bsp commands on the list are being erased or something...
 JumboMonkeyfish
04-28-2002, 4:17 AM
well i dont know why this was happening but it stopped once i reinstalled my tools, just saying this incase anyone else has this problem
 Jesterspaz
04-28-2002, 4:48 AM
VIS is the process of splitting up the binary tree, it has nothing to do with lighting...

First do a FullVis on your map... then do a relight, the relight usually takes longer (If you only make a change to lighting, obviously just perform a relight). With quake 3 it shows you every step of the lighting, vis, and ai, i dont know why Raven decided to hide the steps from everyone...

Justin "Jesterspaz" Negrete
www.planetquake.com/jesterspaz)
Check out DUEL_PAVILLION, my latest creation!
Page: 1 of 1