Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Rocky Architecture

Page: 1 of 1
 Phaedrus
04-27-2002, 6:14 PM
I was wondering what the best way is of going about making a rocky cliff of sorts. I'm working with a very largepiece of "rock" and I was wondering how I would edit it to give it those jaggy features.

Are there multiple ways to doing it? I'm not really sure how, and I'd just like a little bit of help.
 Garland
04-27-2002, 6:42 PM
A good way to make non-perfect surfaces (ie rocks and dirt) would be to make a patch mesh. (curve menu) You'll get a popup asking you how many vertecies you want on the grid. Pick that out and select your newly created patch mesh. (you'll have to make a brush to turn into the mesh, first by the way).

Use the rotation to orient your soon-to be cliffside to where you want it. and switch the view to wireframe. Press V with the mesh selected and you'll be able to move the points wherever you like. Voila! You have a rocky surface.

Hope this helps.

-Garland
 FEXX
04-27-2002, 7:02 PM
For rocky terrain design you could try:
http://planetquake.com/bubba/terrain1.html)
 Pvt:Hudson
04-27-2002, 7:24 PM
Patch meshes are great for detailed rocks and boulders, but beware of using too many cause that'll take the R_speeds through the roof.

What I do to create nice looking and r_speed friendly rocks is to make a block about 256x256x256 or what ever using the caulk texture, then on the forward pointing face apply your wanted rock texture. Then select the box, put it into place then either tweak the vertices (press V) or the edges (press E) to get the shape you want.
Using this method you have realistic rocks on the front and on the back side where the player can't see its nice and flat so the rocks fit together well.

I hope that helps ;)
 Phaedrus
04-28-2002, 12:38 AM
Thanks alot guys, you were alot of help.
 mapmaker
04-28-2002, 12:47 AM
Couldn't you technically use GenSurf as well?
Page: 1 of 1