Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

how to make a mirror

Page: 1 of 1
 LordNausea
04-26-2002, 8:28 PM
I wanted to add a mirror to one of my maps because it would look cool. :)
So I read one of the mirror tuts, but even after a lot of trial'n'error it won't work.
This is what I did:
I put a brush onto a wall, gave it the mirror1 texture out of the common set. Then I put the entity misc_portal_surface 8 units from the surface of the brush into the map. At last I built a border around my mirror brush. According do the tutorial it whould work, but it does not.

Anybody got that problem already?
 Tantalus
04-27-2002, 3:03 AM
In some of the other q3 engines, mirrors could be tricky. Even though you do everything right, sometimes they just don't like where they're sitting. I haven't tried mirrors yet with JK2, but I'd first suggest moving the mirror around your map to see if it works in different positions. If not, try e-mailing raven, because I don't remember any mirrors in the single player campaign, so it would be something we have no frame of reference for.
 Mr. Nip
04-27-2002, 3:29 AM
There are mirrors in the game - one near the very very end, in the middle of a hallway. Perhaps there are also others I missed. In any case, they're certainly possible.
 LordNausea
04-27-2002, 3:05 PM
I tried to move the mirror to another location, but it does not work on any of the six sides of my testing room.
I also rebuilt the whole room but it won't work. :mad:
So I guess there is a little modificaiton to do in one of the steps to get it working, but I got no idea what to do.
 Tantalus
04-27-2002, 7:45 PM
What exactly does show up on the mirror surface in the game? Does it act like a funhouse mirror, and only reflects from weird angles?
 LordNausea
04-28-2002, 8:33 AM
The place where the mirror should be is black and there are white lines on it. The mirror reflects from no angle. It's just this ugly texture on the wall and nothing more :(
 Tenakalaz
04-28-2002, 4:52 PM
I have the same problem, the mirror just won't work, I have used the portal surface in the right place and also tried 3 different mirror shaders but I just get the shader grid defaults when I compile it.
 ArmchairAthlete
04-28-2002, 5:11 PM
If not, try e-mailing raven, because I don't remember any mirrors in the single player campaign

*** POSIBLE MINOR SPOILER ***

Remember when the three Desann's walked off near the end? The path straight forward led to one where another Kyle was in a mirror with a Desann that walked off behind him. This was a dead end, but I believe it was a mirror. The image did everything you did, and the hallway was mirrored.
 Pid
04-28-2002, 5:26 PM
I agree. And with simple shadows on, you could see the shadow of Desann in behind you even when he runs away (you know when you only see him in the mirror - that was the most scariest part of the game, fraked me out!)

Also what do you think of this...

This is a screenshot released by Raven/LucasArts before the game was released:

http://www.geocities.com/pidman101/reflection.jpg)

Also here is the actual mirror near the end of the game:

http://www.geocities.com/pidman101/reflection2.jpg)

Please c&p all links into a browser.
 LordNausea
04-30-2002, 6:41 PM
I am absolutely happy. Finally I got my mirror working. I don't know what I did wrong, but I got an answer from Raven and I just set the mirror up as written in the mail and it works.
Reading that some other ppl are having problems to get their mirrors working I'll just paste the mail:

-------------------
Set up the mirror just as you normally would in Q3...

1. Make sure the mirrored surface has a qer_mirror (or portal) surface
property (we had one in the game called mirror_floor2 in our
textures...)

2. Put a misc_portal_surface entity above the surface (around 16-32
units away is fine)

3. Make sure the surface is the only mirror the entity can see (it
doesn't like seeing more than one mirror at a time)

4. Make sure the surface to be a mirror is made of only one brush for
best results...

(our mirror texture has the following setup in the shader:

textures/tests/mirror_floor2
{
qer_editorimage textures/tests/qer_mirror.tga
surfaceparm forcefield
portal
q3map_nolightmap
{
map textures/tests/qer_mirror2b
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
depthWrite
}
{
map textures/tests/floor02_alphab
blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_SRC_COLOR
}
{
map textures/kejim/env_newfloor_kej
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
rgbGen const ( 0.200000 0.200000 0.200000 )
tcGen environment
}
}

The forcefield parameter makes shots bounce off of it

The portal parameter makes it show a reflection

the other texture (tests/floor02_alphab) used on it gives it a texture to
show (with an alpha value), just remove this if you want a true mirror...

and the last texture in the setup gave it a shiny environment map like a
piece of glass...
-------------------

As already written, I don't know what was wrong with my first setupsd, but I think it was the wrong mirror shader. Now it works just fine.
 RichDiesal
05-01-2002, 1:25 AM
The only way I could get it to work is by using the mirror_yavin shader... never could get mirror1 to work.

Also make sure that the room you want mirrored is reasonably big or else the mirror will act very strange (sometimes it just doesn't show up).
Page: 1 of 1