Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Editing Tools Q&A

Page: 2 of 2
 mapmaker
04-26-2002, 12:09 AM
Hi all :)
Can someone please tell me how to get a map to load in multi player? My maps work fine in single player, but in multi it says the file cannot be found ,etc.
If anyone could help me I'd greatly appreciate it.
 topreacher
04-26-2002, 4:00 AM
Alrighty...if someone can figure this one out, I'd be mighty impressed.

Along the lines of "unable to make a bsp" file -- whenever I go to compile (using Fast, Full, whatever) I get the following error:

System Error
The Keyboard driver specified by the KEYBOARD= line in the [386Enh] section of
the SYSTEM.INI file is incompatible with the current version of Windows.
To correct the problem, run Windows Setup again.

Uh...WTF? I've personally checked the SYS.ini file ... no problems there. Went searching through my HDD for the keyboard file ... no problems there ... not a single other program has ever given me this error (and none of them do as of right now, either) ... I've uninstalled and reinstalled JK2Radiant several times (both with and without manually deleting registry entries) ...

Umm ... so ... good luck (and THANKS in advance!) to anyone who can help me out with this!
 [XGN]Cav
04-26-2002, 1:40 PM
There's no option for cooperative play, is there?

Cav
 Wired
04-26-2002, 4:12 PM
Message Removed because I figured it out myself :)
 Mason
04-26-2002, 4:53 PM
I still get that "there is no base" error.

And I have double checked those project settings, those paths are correct. And yes, i have notices that fix for entity path.

Maybe the problem is that i havenґt installed JK2 into default directory?
 Mason
04-26-2002, 5:20 PM
Ok, so hereґs what my "StarWars.qe4" -file contains:

{
"bsp Relight (1/2 LM)" "D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -bsp -onlyents $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -light -extra -samplesize 32 $"
"bsp Relight" "D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -bsp -onlyents $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -light $"
"bsp Novis (nolight)" "D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -bsp $"
"bsp FastVis (nolight)" "D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -bsp $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -vis -fast $"
"bsp FastVis(1/2)" "D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -bsp -samplesize 32 $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -vis -fast $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -light -extra -samplesize 32 $"
"bsp FullVis (lowmem)" "D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -bsp $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -vis -nopassage $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -light $"
"bsp FullVis (lesmem)" "D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -bsp $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -vis -passageOnly $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -light $"
"bsp FullVis (nolight)" "D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -bsp $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -vis $"
"bsp FullVis (extra)" "D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -bsp $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -vis $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -light -extra $"
"bsp FullVis (1/2 LMs)" "D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -bsp -samplesize 32 $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -vis $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -light -extra -samplesize 32 $"
"bsp FullVis" "D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -bsp $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -vis $ && D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -light $"
"autosave" "D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\\base\maps\autosave_sp.map"
"rshcmd" ""
"mapspath" "D:\Jedi Knight 2\GameData\\base\maps\"
"entitypath" "D:\Jedi Knight 2\GameData\\Tools\SP_entities.def"
"texturepath" "D:\Jedi Knight 2\GameData\\base\textures"
"remotebasepath" "D:\Jedi Knight 2\GameData\\base"
"basepath" "D:\Jedi Knight 2\GameData\\base"
}

And I get this message when I use -fullvis command from the menu:

Running bsp command...

D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -bsp D:\Jedi Knight 2\GameData\\base/maps/perse.map

D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -vis D:\Jedi Knight 2\GameData\\base/maps/perse.map

D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -light D:\Jedi Knight 2\GameData\\base/maps/perse.map

D:\Jedi Knight 2\GameData\Tools>D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -bsp D:\Jedi Knight 2\GameData\\base/maps/perse.map

SoF2Map v1.0c (c) 2000 Raven Software Inc.

---- BSP ----

usage: sof2map -bsp [options] mapfile

(some commands here)

D:\Jedi Knight 2\GameData\Tools>D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -vis D:\Jedi Knight 2\GameData\\base/maps/perse.map

---- Vis ----

usage: sof2map -vis [options] bspfile

(some commands here)

D:\Jedi Knight 2\GameData\Tools>D:\JEDIKN~2\GameData\Tools\\sof2map -light D:\Jedi Knight 2\GameData\\base/maps/perse.map

----- Lighting ----

usage: sof2map -light [options] mapfile

(some commands here)

completed.
Run time was 0 hours, 0 minutes and 0 seconds

And this error message I get when I try to use "sof2map.exe -all perse.map" -command in dos mode.

---- BSP ----
SetQdirFromPath: no 'base' in D:/JEDIKN~2/GameData/Tools/perse.map

Ok, tell me, is my paths correct or is there something wrong?

And sorry about the lenght of this message :P
 Fabba The Kabin
04-27-2002, 8:46 AM
Is there anywhere that tells you all the viable entity keys (things you type in the entity window to change properties) for the JK 2 objects?

In Q3Radiant, it told you all the possible ones in that notes box.

(This is for SP btw)
 Mason
04-27-2002, 5:26 PM
Figured out how to solve my problem already. Just moved that "tools" directory to "base\directory", aah, now i can get into some serious mapping :)
 Fabba The Kabin
04-28-2002, 11:13 AM
Ignore my above post, the notes are there (I had only looked at the weapon_saber entity when I posted).

Although, does anyone know how to change the colour of the saber before you pick it up. (start with no weapons then when you pick up the saber it is automatically green, say) I have tried putting a "key: color, value:green" key on the entity but it doesn't work.

btw I know about the console command to change it ingame but I just wanted to save time.
 GrandCzar
04-28-2002, 8:33 PM
Every time i try to load any textures other than the shaders it give me:

JK2RADIANT caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at 0000:00000003.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=0167 EIP=00000003 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=0549d27c SS=016f ESP=0399e63c EBP=0399e6f4
ECX=0000803f DS=016f ESI=0549d27c FS=8f5f
EDX=00000000 ES=016f EDI=05a06fd4 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
00 00 04 00 00 16 00 6b d0 00 04 00 00 65 04 70
Stack dump:
0434ccee 05a06fd4 00000000 00000000 3f800000 0399e678 04c12800 0549d2e8 00000000 00000000 043733b8 00000001 0399e6b8 00000000 3f800000 00000000

and then makes me close the program, anyone know how to fix this?
 Dross
04-29-2002, 2:41 PM
If you are having the problem compiling and getting no bsp try this. Note that this is only for the 'quick popup' no bsp and not the 'crash' no bsp. But ya never know try it.

Make sure none of your directories have spaces for your installation. NAMELY, THE STAR WARS JKII JEDI OUTCAST, is too long, rename the directory OR reinstall the game (SWJK2 or something). In JK2radiant, make sure all your paths are correct in your project settings. Viola! You should compile now.

PS, removing the two // for folder directories is NOT a fix, make sure those are in there. If reinstalling your tools will fix this.
 [OKD]Mangopork
05-01-2002, 4:40 AM
Originally posted by Evil Robot
QERadiant just crashes for me - it goes to the "unnamed.map" main screen and doesn't proceed any further. I have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete out of it. Any suggestions?

System Specs-
1.4 GHZ Pentium 4
512 MB RAM
GeForce 2 MX
Win 98 <--- Win98 is your problem. You have a very powerful system, get windows XP Pro and you will be MUCH happier, trust me. My system is nearly identical to yours and i use windows XP with the greatest of ease, performance, and stability. Windows 98 crashes for no reason..... when XP crashes, which is rare, its usually for a reason and you can *always* control alt delete out of anything.
 [OKD]Mangopork
05-01-2002, 4:59 AM
so what elements of the game can we actually alter at this point with the existing tools?

Can we alter the physics?
The GUI?
HUD?
weapon::: models/animations/projectiles/damage/ROF/accuracy?

What about pickup items, can they be replaced and code-tweaked?
what about the AI?
Can per-pixel bullet holes be drawn on enemy models if a modder chooses to do this?

If someone could give me a brief lowdown of what can/can't be done out of this list i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
 Ravenous180
05-01-2002, 2:54 PM
Hi im new to editing with radient as im sure many of us are.

My skys will not emit light and i cant (or dont know how to) place prefabs like the x-wing and chairs and statues...

How does it all work, cause im in the middle of a bespin rooftop map, and i need the skys to work for me before i release it. Also the place looks a little bland... thats why i need some sorty of prefab.

Could someone help me ive posted three threds allready and have gotten no response.

HELP!!

Thanks, Ravenous180
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
 OCF
05-01-2002, 10:30 PM
1. to the person who posted their QE4
Remove all double backslashes and it should work

2. Does anyone know how to include NPCs in a multiplayer map?

I want to include some non combat bots (that always spawn)
and some bots which will attack any player or player spawned bot
and use both Emplaced guns and AT STs in my multiplayer map

3. I've posted this elsewhere on here but, I can't load a MP map I've made, it drops me to menu instead of loading - but will run if I devmap it (from within the pk3 not my map directory)

4. On multiplayer maps, and most maps SP or MP or my frankenstein patched SP/MP hybrid I've created so far, the light level has been almost non existent - and I've included light entities and tried fiddling with their brightness with no luck

Can you set the base map brightness with the worldspawn?
 OCF
05-01-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Ravenous180
Hi im new to editing with radient as im sure many of us are.

My skys will not emit light and i cant (or dont know how to) place prefabs like the x-wing and chairs and statues...

How does it all work, cause im in the middle of a bespin rooftop map, and i need the skys to work for me before i release it. Also the place looks a little bland... thats why i need some sorty of prefab.

Thanks, Ravenous180
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Um, you dont want to place a "prefab" you want to place an md3 glm or a model, try using entities to do that - I'm not entirely certain of the procedure, yet, but its doable

As for lighting I can't help, i'm having problems myself
 Supa_Dav
05-02-2002, 3:10 AM
I know that for your map sky to work properly it has to be a shader, but as with all of you, i can't figure out how to do them. I've done my map exactly how the tutorials say, but for some reason when i load the sky textures none of them are shaders.

Thanks for listening and could someone please answer my question.:3headed:

and one more question, how do you add a driveable ATST to a map, i'm a n00b when it comes to mapping so sorry if my questions sound dumb.
 CheeseY
05-05-2002, 12:40 AM
why is it when i press escape my brush disapeers... im sure this is probably a well stupid question.. but im wondering :)

CheeseY
 GidionTheDead
05-06-2002, 7:56 AM
Ok, now here really is a stupid question:

How to move around in the 2D windows (NO, not the Camera Window)? I can move around by click-draggin an object but that's to hard sometimes (if there are really large objects). So what?

And a not so dumb question:

How to make doors?
 Xcom
05-12-2002, 9:40 PM
Is it me or there are no ICARUS tools in the GDK? How are we supposed to make scritps?
 Strike
05-14-2002, 4:24 PM
With JED, stuff like that NEVER happens. JED has been so far, the absolute most powerful editor I have ever used. I HATE Radiant. -Emon

Amen.
 junior
05-21-2002, 8:35 AM
I'm trying to create some shaders using shaderED2 and keep getting "Error 12 ... unexpected token line 1" what's the prob?
Does any body know where I can get some info on creating shaders from jpgs or a tutorial?

THanks!
 Stephanm
05-22-2002, 2:39 PM
I don't want to make a new map, but I would like to use an old map, and create a new 'game' in it.

How do you put in a npc in the map (no cheat, but just a game map), and create actions form wich new events acure and all sort of that stuff.

Maybe somneone could explane this to me, or could point a link to an editor wich can help me.
 Neo Honor
05-23-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by [OKD]Mangopork
<--- Win98 is your problem. You have a very powerful system, get windows XP Pro and you will be MUCH happier, trust me. My system is nearly identical to yours and i use windows XP with the greatest of ease, performance, and stability. Windows 98 crashes for no reason..... when XP crashes, which is rare, its usually for a reason and you can *always* control alt delete out of anything.

I have a P4 2.0
256MG DDR Ram
GF 2 MX 200
Win 98SE

Are you trying to tell me that my system is too powerful for win 98. Maybe 2k would be a better solution because XP is almost too powerful and robs system resources. My 256 Ram would be like 128 (exaggeration I know) with XP as it drains like 10% of your system resources just to run itself. Damn, new software always make you have to beef up your system!
 DarkDrag00n
05-27-2002, 5:02 PM
Um i need to know how to make my own duel music. I have the music but i want to tast it then submit it to dl in jediknightii.com
 b1tt3r
06-01-2002, 2:20 PM
Iv been looking at the sorce all night and cant seem to feg out the saber damage sys. can someone point me to it
 RKguy
06-05-2002, 12:49 AM
I am new to the editing community but hope to be a regular. Anyway here is my problem, when compiling it appears to be doing nothing whatsoever. When I used EFRadiant, it would show me at what point of the compiling process it was at, but with JK2Radiant it shows me some folder address it is looking at. It does make a bsp file in the map directory, but it would be nice to see what its doing.
I just do not want to start making big maps when the compiling time starts to be 4 hours or more. Thanks in advance for answers, for I might not be able to visit this forum tommorow.

-RKguy
 {>2BnB<}-X-
06-05-2002, 12:49 AM
Line 1417 in w_saber.c - I've been messing around with it a bit, not quite sure how it all works yet :p There are a few other files for various other defs to do with the saber as well
 MagnumV
06-05-2002, 1:29 AM
I'm getting things like .bak and .prt. Got .bsp once, don't know how to get it again.
 mr_slimdog
06-08-2002, 6:12 AM
BOO! :laughing:
 junior
06-13-2002, 8:04 AM
I have created some shader files in ShaderED2 from some ipg images I want to put in a map. How do I get these shaders to show in the JK2Radiant Textures list?
 Arjay
06-19-2002, 11:36 PM
Does anyone know the console command for recording a demo/movie and stoping recording?

:deathii:
:atat:
 MwA_Slayer
06-22-2002, 4:52 PM
I try to load my shaders for JK2 radiant and they say opening...filename... failed then replacing...filename... with...filename... I have tried to use shadered also but it has a message that pops-up saying that they dont work. and it says some stage thing is messed up when I try to figure out what the problem is... plz, if any one can help, it would be most appreciated
 Darth Exar Kun
07-10-2002, 9:18 AM
I really need to know what the best Jedi Knight II modeling and skinning progam is because i want to make a couple models like Exar half saber and a Trunks model so can someone please tell me
 dontknownothin
07-12-2002, 7:04 AM
how in the world do you get unlimited force? i got a trainer and it has unlimited force but crashes the game with "illegal" actions all the time. i get so tired of hitting the "give force" button all the time. this is the only modification I really really want and i can't find it anywhere. it seems as if it would be a simple thing to do- but i am clueless and have not learned any editing yet. I figured this would be the place to go to find people who can do this. Please send me e-mail with whatever you know. Thanks Very much!!!
 Joben
07-12-2002, 1:44 PM
One thing you could try for near unlimited force is to set the amount of
force 'ammo' you can carry realy high.
To do that edit weapons.dat down at the end there is a list of all
the ammo types and their max carry number. At the begining of that
list there will be "Force" wich is set to 100 or something. add a 0 or two
and you should have more than you could ever use in a short period
and it will still regen like normal.
 dontknownothin
07-14-2002, 10:14 AM
i am so new to this stuff - I don't even have a clue how to edit the weapons files. I have all of the editing programs, but they might as well be in another language. I have even tried to use a memory program to make a trainer just for unlimited force bar- but is is just as complicated. If any one can help the helpless, I beg you! Thanks
 ZBomber
08-05-2002, 1:43 AM
Oh, MilkShape is so confusing..... :(
 yangyan
01-14-2003, 8:16 PM
I don't even have it, how do you compile maps? In XP it just stops.
 yangyan
01-14-2003, 8:23 PM
Originally posted by Joben
One thing you could try for near unlimited force is to set the amount of
force 'ammo' you can carry realy high.
To do that edit weapons.dat down at the end there is a list of all
the ammo types and their max carry number. At the begining of that
list there will be "Force" wich is set to 100 or something. add a 0 or two
and you should have more than you could ever use in a short period
and it will still regen like normal.

Actually it's not in weapons.cfg, but you can edit your saber throw to use Nothing YOU CANT USE NUFFINK!
 yangyan
01-14-2003, 8:25 PM
Originally posted by Darth Exar Kun
I really need to know what the best Jedi Knight II modeling and skinning progam is because i want to make a couple models like Exar half saber and a Trunks model so can someone please tell me

Try using milkshape3D, and for skinning, you have to put up with this stretched thing, unless you have photoshop, use the stretch/skew button.:)
 yangyan
01-14-2003, 8:34 PM
Originally posted by Arjay
Does anyone know the console command for recording a demo/movie and stoping recording?

:deathii:
:atat:

To make a roq, which is basiccly a demo except used like cinematics, read this.

1 What is it?

A .roq file is a compressed video file that the engine can read and decode, thus allowing video to play both in the menu and in the game.

2 What features does it have?

A .roq file plays back at 30 fps and can have sound depending on where it is used. Thus, the input files must be presented at 30 fps to appear correct in the .roq. Recording at 15 fps for instance will make everything appear to play twice as fast in the .roq. Sound will play back in the cinematics (the intro outside the menu, Raven logo, id logo, etc.), and in the menus but not in the game.

3 How do I make a .roq?

3.1 The Standards

A roq file is made up of individual .tgas that are processed to make the movie. For a cinematic video or a menu video the source tgas must be 512x512, 256x256, or 512x256. Inside the game, they must be 256x256 or 128x128. No other sizes will work.

A set of files must share the same file name and be numbered sequentially. For instance, if you want thirty seconds of video for an intro logo, you’ll have 900 .tgas named something like “logo001.tga, logo002.tga… logo900.tga.”

3.2 The .param file
Next, create a .param file. It’s basically a text file that the roq compliler uses to create the file. Here’s the syntax:

INPUT_DIR – This is the directory where all of your .tga files are stored.
Example: INPUT_DIR c:\quake\base\screenshots
FILENAME – This is what you want to call the .roq file and where to store it.
Example: FILENAME s:\base\video\intro.roq
SOUND – This is where the .wav file is stored that will be incorporated into the .roq. Remember that only the cinematic and menu .roqs can have sound. Also, make sure the sound is the same time as the video.
Example: SOUND s:\base\sound\intro.wav
INPUT – This is the actual name of the .tga files. If the files are all named sequentially, you can use a wildcard (*) and then list the numbers in brackets after.
END_INPUT – This tells the program to end compiling.
Example of INPUT and END_INPUT:

INPUT
Shot*.tga [0001-0223]
END_INPUT

You can also hold on a particular frame by listing it multiple times.
Example:

INPUT
Shot0001.tga
Shot0001.tga
Shot0001.tga
Shot0001.tga
Shot0001.tga
Shot0001.tga
Shot0001.tga
Shot0001.tga
Shot0001.tga
Shot0001.tga
Shot*.tga [0001-0023]
END_INPUT

What this does is hold the first frame for 1/3 of a second. It’s played ten times at 30fps.

3.3 Run the RoQ compiler

That’s almost all for the creation. Next actually make the .roq file. From a command line, go the video directory (For SoF2, it’s in s:\base\video, this is where you should store your .param files.)

Type “roq filename.param”. It takes a while to process it all, but once it’s done, you’ll have a .roq file named whatever you called it in the FILENAME section of the .param file.
Example from command line:

roq intro.param

When finished, you’ll get a file called intro.roq stored in s:\base\video as specified in the FILENAME parameter.

4. Putting a .roq into the game

You need to make a shader for the designer to put a .roq into the game.

So here’s a step by step:

1. Create a new shader.
2. Give it an editor image (maybe the first frame from the video).
3. Flag it nolightmap.
4. Create a new blending stage.
5. Select videomap in ShaderEd2 and browse to the location of the .roq file.
6. That’s it, there’s no second stage!

The designer now treats it like a normal texture when applying it.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!
There can only be one .roq in view at a time. Only one! One! Is that clear?! (If more than one is visible at a time, they will both sit on the first frame, and not animate.)

5. Putting a .roq into the menu

Step by step:

1. Find the appropriate .menu file that you want to have the .roq in.
2. Write up a bunch of stuff that I don’t understand.
Example:

itemDef {
name ctf
group grphelptext
style 5
cinematic "roqtest_new.RoQ"
rect 10 154 256 192
border 1
bordercolor .5 .5 .5 1
visible 0
decoration
}
3. The important things are “cinematic” and “rect”
4. “Cinematic” is the actual file you want.
5. “Rect” has four numbers. The first two are the “x” and “y” coordinates for the location while the third and fourth numbers are the size you want the .roq to be drawn at.

6. Putting a .roq into the logo intro

Step by step:

1. Make a cool new Raven logo.
2. Call the .roq “raven.roq”
3. That’s it. The game is hard-coded to accept “raven.roq” as the logo file.
 ewok mercenary
02-16-2003, 4:17 AM
Does anyone know why when i try to play my map (or room) in JKII, the lighting, instead of being red spotlighting, is just shadowless, white light.
 grootmatti
08-17-2003, 6:57 AM
This is the 3rd guy who has problems with BSP Fullvis
but There is still no answer on this question.

WHY CANT I GET A >TEST.BSP< IN MY MAP DIR.
Page: 2 of 2