Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Linux Questions

Page: 1 of 1
 geronimo27
04-20-2002, 5:40 AM
Yup, I had successfully been running a win32 jk2 server, but due to other reasons, I decided to install Linux on my server box.

So all of my server experience has been on win32 boxes, and now that I have a linux box, the main statement thast pops into mind from others is "don't install the server as root".

So, since I am VERY new to linux, and have noticed that "root" can mean many things in different situations, can some detail exactly what the above statement means, and how to NOT install the server as root?

much thanks!
 rivmin
04-20-2002, 7:54 AM
Hei.

'root' is the GOD on the server...total control.

There will allways be a 'root' on a *nix server.....

Please create some users, and log in as a 'normal' user....that's basically all :-)

When u are logged in as a normal user, then u may have to shift to 'root' to do something that the normal user is not allowed to do, simply type 'su' and enter the 'root' password....and when you are finished as 'root' just type 'exit' and you will be the 'normal' user again.

If the normal user must have the possibility to shift status to 'root', then the normal user must be in the user-group called 'wheel'.
 geronimo27
04-20-2002, 6:25 PM
thanks for the info

so which dir path should i install the server in? should it go in my /usr/<login> dir?
 evilpeno
04-20-2002, 6:47 PM
this is entirely preference.. i place all game servers into /usr/games on my server just to keep track of what is installed and what isn't.

Originally posted by geronimo27
thanks for the info

so which dir path should i install the server in? should it go in my /usr/<login> dir?
 David Icke
04-21-2002, 9:22 AM
i have a user called jedi

and everything is in /home/jedi

the /usr is not for users home directories,,, rarther for binaries, that users can access. no reason not to put you j2kded in here, but its not a place for you config files, that would be /etc,,, to save confusion i put everything in jedi home directory.
 geronimo27
04-21-2002, 5:30 PM
a bit off topic, but what is the /var dir for?

I was installing Apache and in the documentation they gave examples of where to keep the html files. The examples were /var/www /usr/www /var/web /usr/local/apache/htdocs and so on.

I assume this is also probably personal preference, but what's the difference from putting them in /usr/www versus /var/www?
Page: 1 of 1