Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Linux server crashes and turning off logging

Page: 1 of 1
 madrebel
03-29-2002, 1:53 PM
Hey maybe someone can asnwer this. How do i turn logging off. Everytime i start the gmae it logs to game.log in the base directory.

Also anyone else's server randomly crashing after ohhh 6 or so hours? Both my linux servers just randomly crash like this.
 r00d
03-29-2002, 2:34 PM
Originally posted by madrebel
Hey maybe someone can asnwer this. How do i turn logging off. Everytime i start the gmae it logs to game.log in the base directory.

Also anyone else's server randomly crashing after ohhh 6 or so hours? Both my linux servers just randomly crash like this.

Yes my linux server crashed last night for no apparent reason. It was the first night I had it running. When I woke up, it was crashed.

I haven't been able to enable logging yet, so I have no idea what happened.

-r00d
 madrebel
03-29-2002, 3:09 PM
loggin is on by default, it logs to your $/.jkii/base/game(s?).log file. The reason i want to turn this off is

A) file size. Mine is well over 10 megs so far, of flat text!
B) CPU cycles, every action is recorded via that file. Turning off logging will have to improve performance.
 Wintrmte
03-31-2002, 4:00 PM
Yep. My server is crashing quite often now. It used to run for a good 12 hours, but now, it crashes constantly..

Anyone have any suggestions?
 dunkan
03-31-2002, 4:02 PM
I am having random seg faults. At first, it was just everyonce in awhile, I had the server going for hours with 20-30 people on it. No problems.

Now it seems to do it sooner. Usually right after it does the master heartbeat..
 Nefilim
03-31-2002, 6:18 PM
Pretty sure its not just a linux issue.... My windows ded server crashes all the time now, same with a few others i know that run the windows version.
 dunkan
03-31-2002, 7:35 PM
I Was bored, so I updated my kernel to 2.4.18, it hasnt died since.. so I'll see how it goes now..
 Wintrmte
03-31-2002, 7:37 PM
Likewise, I uninstalled the linux_base-7 packages that I had put on for FreeBSD and running the jk2 server, and installed the plain linux_base package.

I also copying the CD Files over again, and did a chmod-w on them (to remove the possibility of them becoming corrupted).

I haven't had a crash either since doing this either. Previously, as I stated above, it was crashing consistently.

This is on a FreeBSD 4.5-pl2 system.

Does anyone know how to get in contact with the author of the linux server?
 r00d
03-31-2002, 7:38 PM
Originally posted by dunkan
I Was bored, so I updated my kernel to 2.4.18, it hasnt died since.. so I'll see how it goes now..

I've been running 2.4.18 the entire time, and it has crashed.

I wrote a shell script intended to be run as a cron job that will check to see if your server is running, and if it's not, it will restart it. I posted it separately in the Dedicated Server section. Grab it!

The users still get kicked off during the crash, but at least the server comes right back up. Mine checks every minute to see if it's running or not. If running, then no action is taken. If not running, it runs it.

NTF/r00d
 Wintrmte
04-01-2002, 10:12 PM
Update:

After running flawlessly for 28 hours, my server has once again started core dumping. This time, it's constantly core dumping. Right after the master heartbeat..

I've rebooted the server, nothing helps. What's interesting though, is that the server was down for about 30 minutes before I attempted to start it back up.

Since then, it's been running fine.

This leads me to believe that either

a) There is some serious meory leak? (well, not sure here since I rebooted it previously, and it kept core dumping).

b) There is a transport layer attack that is causing the Linux server to core dump.

Is there *any* contact information for the Linux server developers? I would love to send them my .core files.
 MatrixCPA
04-01-2002, 10:16 PM
Straight from the readme file included with the linux binary:

Star Wars Jedi Knight II dedicated server for Linux.
Version 1.02

With much gratitude to James Drews (drews@engr.wisc.edu) for compiling this and sorting out the problems.

Looks like a solid lead to me. ;^)
 Wintrmte
04-01-2002, 10:20 PM
lol.. Thanks. I'll email him.

I'm also running tcpdump logging udp traffic to that one port, hopefully that will help nail down if it's a transport layer issue.
 Boggyb
04-20-2003, 5:31 AM
I had this problem and I tried these Commands:

In Autoexec.cfg:

seta g_dismember "0"
seta logfile "0"
seta g_log "games.log"
seta g_statLog "0"
seta g_statLogFile "stats.log"

My Server hasn't yet crashed - i do not really know if these commands work - it might just have been my computer, but try it yourself! It might Work. Could you post here if it worked..?
Page: 1 of 1