Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

First Level: 2 instant deaths and 2 crashes - Good Job!

Page: 1 of 1
 HANSOLO
03-28-2002, 8:42 PM
First things first, I'm not some flamer coming here to put down the game. I am a games designer for a UK publisher/developer and evaluating software is a major part of my job. I am a huge SW and FPS fan also...

I've been playing the game 5 minutes, and I've already had all the problems in the topic plus more. My system is pretty ancient, but it does meet the minimum specs, and plays Q3 and RTCW no problems.

P3 450mhz
327MB PC-100 RAM
Voodoo 3 (I know, but I have a GeForce at work...)

First off; what is with the videos? They are shown in something like 320x240 res on my machine (stretched), and the text is unreadable. I have my detail settings on High (which runs fine in game). Also, the STAR WARS text crawl video; I can't see any text. I see the main heading...then it's stars and sound only.

I managed to get 2 instant deaths in game very quickly. The first was from an errant grenade - for some reason it decides to explode right next to me in an empty room. The second was when using the lift to get to the gun activation comp. I was obviously only half-on the lift, so I got crushed on the ceiling. My fault? Well maybe; but I was close enough to hit the button... To me that just looks like bad design.

After both of these deaths, the game tried to reload the level. On both occasions, I get a screwed up background (either pure gray/magenta or the first frame of the LucasArts logo (upside-down). My system then freezes with the bar on about 40% (with a hard reset needed).

Now I realise these errors are probably largely caused by my system, but it's perfectly capable of running Q3 and Wolfenstein with no problems at all. To me, this looks like a rushed product, released to catch those Easter sales.

I really wanted this game to be great. I mean really. Shame.

SOLO
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
03-28-2002, 8:50 PM
Errant grenade? You mean tripmine. Don't step through the tripmine.... pretty simple, really.

As for the lift, I'm sure you'll now now to fully stand on the lift from now on... :)

If you looked at the box or read the manual and readme, you'd
know the voodoo card is NOT SUPPORTED. What Q3 and Wolf supported is irrelevant, different games. Next time read the specs, don't assume.
 The Kessel Run
03-28-2002, 9:50 PM
Rushed game? slow FPS and crappy graphics? Hell I run it in 1024x768x32 with all settings maxed and when I began playing I never dropped below 50 fps on my P3 1 ghz and Geforce 3. It ran so well and looked so good I didn't even notice that Anisotropic Filtering was on. RTCW and MOHAA both run about the same with filtering off but run plenty slower with it on.......

Lol I love this last paragraph from this guy, first it's just "his system" and then the game is suddenly rushed for Easter sales and is crap.......why people can't just play games and enjoy them for what they are anymore is beyond me.
 breen
03-29-2002, 3:14 AM
i also have a voodoo3 and was having alot of problems, if you read the readme, all 3dfx cards are unsupported. i got it to work though by copying over the opengl32.dll from metabytes wickedgl to the jk2 dir. this has solved all my v3 problems except for the opening text which is too blurry to read.
 johndoh
03-29-2002, 4:37 AM
Originally posted by The Kessel Run
Hell I run it in 1024x768x32 with all settings maxed and when I began playing I never dropped below 50 fps on my P3 1 ghz and Geforce 3.

Out of curiosity, how do you check to see what fps I'm currently running?
 Aznac
03-29-2002, 5:30 AM
"I am a games designer for a UK publisher/developer and evaluating software is a major part of my job. I am a huge SW and FPS fan also..."

if this is true, why are *****in so much about system requirements?

dude... get a new cpu or stfu!

i would think that to design game software you should have a pretty decent video card and proc to render the development.

this game kicks ass for those of us who have a machine that can run it.

-L
 SlayRide
03-29-2002, 7:44 AM
Get a new system. Athlon 1.3ghz, 256ram, ATA100 hd, Geforce4 (sweet) and this game runs like clockwork, and a beautiful clock at that.
You're system may run RTCW and Q3, but I sincerely doubt it runs it "well". I have essentially the same box as I use as a Linux box, and I've played both those games on it, and they do run, but comparing how they run on that box vs my main box = night and day.
Min sys reqs are just that. They say that the game will run, not well, not great, just run. Anyone who's an avid pc gamer learns that lesson within the first few games they ever play on their PC.
I strongly suggest you find someone or a shop with a higher end system running JK2 to get a real idea of how different an experience it is.
A 450 was great almost 3 years ago, time to upgrade tho.
 ArcAngyl
04-05-2002, 10:27 PM
I opened my favorite Pc game mag and saw a great ad for a game that i really wanted to play . The game was Max Payne at the same time I happened to look down the page and saw a little box that said:
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
and\or
SYSTEM RECOMMENDATIONS
I could not even touch the basics in one category at the time!
The morale of the story is:
I am a very avid gamer and when I saw that my system was starting to really lag behind in just the BASIC requirements I decided to save those hard earned dollars I was spending on software and started to save for my current system. I figured that EB GAMES would not get thier feelings hurt too bad :). I understand that not everyone has a disposable budget when it comes to computers, But it just really annoys me to see people come in to a forum bash the hell out of a game that a software company spent more than 14 months making because it won't run on antiquidated machines. Although the fact that this person works for a software development company I would figure that they would be privy to deals on hardware not ordinarily seen by the regular working joe's.
Upgrade before you bash!

I have a P4 1.8 GHZ
512 RDRAM
GeForce3
running at 1200x1600
and the game is awesome!
 FWB
04-05-2002, 11:04 PM
I think it is clear that the requirements are a problem for him, but is the rude manner really needed? The original post contained nothing within it to warrant such responses.

I'm starting to see this in a few places around here when someone says something slightly negative. Please don't turn this into a creche.
Page: 1 of 1