Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Using GtkRadiant now for JO maps

Page: 1 of 1
 HolySmiter
03-16-2002, 11:10 AM
I created a couple of maps for Return to Castle Wolfenstein with GtkRadiant. But I am mostly itching to start creating maps for Jedi Outcast. My question is....

If I start creating maps with only the untextured geometric brushes and terrain, when the JO editing tools and textures come out, will I be able to just import my map into the tools and texture all my premade non-textured brushes? Or will there likely be incomaptible formats where I would need to do all my mapmaking work once some official editing tools are released?

I would really like to start laying out my JO levels now in GtkRadiant, but I don't want to lose all my work if it will be incompatible with the actual tools after the games release.
 Roger
03-18-2002, 12:32 AM
Are you interested in joining Rebel Strike? Check us out at:
http://modcentral.jediknightii.net/rebelstrike/)

And yes, you will be able to use the maps you create now (without any fancy shmancy stuff)
 BlackDragon
03-19-2002, 11:24 AM
More than likely. It will probably take some configuration and, until any sort of GDK comes out, will require a manual configuration of the shaderlist.txt, .qe4 file and .dev files. It may also be a p.i.t.a. to configure like EF was.

What it could be worth doing is petitioning the GtkRadiant guys to include JO support in a future release, but I somehow doubt that this is likely to happen as JO has nothing to do with ID.
 G0SP0DAR
03-19-2002, 8:22 PM
Any idea on how mirrored textures would be handled (and hopefully improved)? It's been a while since I used Radiant, and when I did, I remember that it could only support one mirror per devmap, otherwise it would go nuts, at least in Q3A. I'm hoping that would at least be different in the actual JKII engine.
 UniKorn
03-20-2002, 6:47 AM
Completely correct blackdragon, apart from the fact that it are .def files ;)

What JO will recognize (99% sure) caulk textures, noclip textures,...

Brushes

Info_player_start, ....

So you can easily create your map using custom textures.
Page: 1 of 1