Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Monkey Island Stars

Page: 1 of 1
 elTee
03-11-2002, 10:37 AM
You all know how the stars used in Monkey Island have a certain status these days... Its famous, in the computer game world. I reckon they were done by Mark Ferrari, who worked at LEC at the time cos he did the Loom artwork. Loom has Stars like that, you see.
 Schmatz
03-11-2002, 10:25 PM
Stars as in celebrities or actual stars in the night sky?
 BooJaka14m
03-14-2002, 11:12 AM
I think he means actual stary stars. As in the ones in the sky.

I'm still pretty confused though
 elTee
03-15-2002, 6:33 AM
I meant the night stars. They're like the clouds - very defined.
 Gabez
03-15-2002, 1:18 PM
Agreed! LucasArts even use the stars on their "Insider".
 Haxaty
03-16-2002, 6:33 AM
Hmm... now that you mention it... :)

Has anybody got some more information about the starry stars? (oh yeah, and if you do, could you then please post it here ;))
 Ender
03-16-2002, 8:42 AM
Sure, I can tell you they are... err... very.. star-esque? lol.

Originally posted by Haxaty
Hmm... now that you mention it... :)

Has anybody got some more information about the starry stars? (oh yeah, and if you do, could you then please post it here ;))
 Trapezoid
03-16-2002, 10:37 PM
 Schmatz
03-19-2002, 7:28 PM
:stares at screen for a couple minutes: pretty...
 elTee
03-20-2002, 2:07 PM
Hey, c'mon. Its part of the whole MI world. There's no place in the world with stars like these (except in Loom, hence the post in the first place.) They were even accentuated in CMI/EMI - they included the funky skylines. They really rock, and I love 'em. I mean, if someone showed you a pic of just a few of those stars, you'd know what game they were from. What if someone showed you a few pixels of the sky from Half-Life - no-one'd know what the hell game they're from. I know someone will help me out by providing a screenshot of something like this below, like:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
| |
| |
| HALF LIFE PIC |
| |
| |
| |
| |
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Kinda thing.

Oh, bloody hell. You get the idea.
 Darnn
03-21-2002, 2:00 AM
Wouldn't they know exactly what game that's from, considering the fact you've just mentioned its name a couple of times?
Seriously though, they're good stars, but I don't see the big deal.
 Alien426
03-21-2002, 7:55 AM
So here's what you're all waiting for:

---------------------------- ----------------------------
| + | | . |
| + + | | . . |
| x | | . |
| x | | . |
| + + | | . . |
---------------------------- ----------------------------
Loom Half-Life

These are actual in-game shots. If they look a bit crummy it's most likely a problem of your 3D card. Try upgrading to a newer driver.

I think nobody sees the big deal. They are stars and they are done nicely. They certainly aren't unique or revolutionary.
 Haxaty
03-21-2002, 11:56 AM
Wow! The stars from Loom really are revolutionary! :D

It clearly shows that the Half-Life designers didn't know anything about stars :p
 Gabez
03-21-2002, 2:17 PM
They're not just stars... THEY'RE MAGIC STARS!

Well, you get the idea.
 elTee
03-27-2002, 6:04 PM
Hey, right, now this is serious. I've done a pretty bad job of explaining this so far, but maybe I will this time.
There are certain things in life that over the years have become recognisable, through repetetion etc. What do I mean? Well, examples are always useful:

- You only have to see a fin in water to be reminded of Jaws. That also applies to its theme music - it is instantly recognisable.
- If someone says 'show me the money' they are either making a reference to Jerry Maguire, or making a business deal of some sort. Either way, you're reminded of the movie.

There are loads more examples, but I can't think of any. But, we all know they exist; I know it, you know it, so don't say "Oh well, that would have been a good point if you'd been able to come up with more than two examples."
What I'm trying to say is that to the serious computer gamer, those stars are like "Of all the gin-joints in all the world, she walks into mine" to a movie critic.
 Darnn
03-28-2002, 12:53 PM
Yeah, uh, is that, like, from Casablanca, or something?
 elTee
03-28-2002, 6:13 PM
(groan) yes
 Schmatz
03-28-2002, 9:25 PM
You shoulda quit while you were ahead... or were you?

Heh, I get what you mean though... they are almost trademarks like trademark moves for wrestlers.
Page: 1 of 1