Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Which game should ScummVM support next?

Page: 1 of 1
 Ender
03-06-2002, 8:54 AM
Currently, you too can play DOTT, Sam and Max (as of last night), MI1/2/3 (not EGA versions), Indy4, etc on your Linux/Windows/Amiga/OS2/etc machine.

Thanks to ScummVM (http://scummvm.sourceforge.net/). But as a ScummVM developer, I ask you.

What game should we support next?

Note work on Fate of Atlantis (256 color), Loom (256 color), Zak McCracken (256), Full Throttle and The Dig has already began...

But I want to know what we should focus our efforts on :)
 Alien426
03-07-2002, 4:10 AM
Since I don't think PocketSCUMM (http://arisme.free.fr/PocketScumm/) could cope with CMI's resolution I voted for The Dig, which I still consider one of the best games in history.
 Chuzwuzza
03-07-2002, 7:25 AM
Originally posted by Endy
Currently, you too can play DOTT, Sam and Max (as of last night), MI1/2/3 (not EGA versions), Indy4, etc on your Linux/Windows/Amiga/OS2/etc machine.

You can play Monkey Island 3???
 Darnn
03-07-2002, 8:21 AM
Umm... All of them? I'm really having trouble choosing here.
I suppose you should focus on the earlier stuff, though, so that they're out of the way for good, which will leave your hands open for FT and The Dig.
 Ender
03-08-2002, 1:44 AM
Originally posted by Chuzwuzza

You can play Monkey Island 3???

Woops - not yet (otherwise I wouldn't have included it in the poll :). But as a sidenote, the beginning of CMI support should be going in the CVS tree sometime in the next week or two.
 Ender
03-08-2002, 1:48 AM
Originally posted by Alien426
Since I don't think PocketSCUMM (http://arisme.free.fr/PocketScumm/) could cope with CMI's resolution I voted for The Dig, which I still consider one of the best games in history.

Well, PocketScumm should be able to downscale CMI fairly well - thanks to the fact there isn't much 'pixel hunting'. However that would push CPU usage a little, expecially if you were using the MP3 compression that was added to ScummVM recently.

Hmm.
But your right, The Dig is a brilliant game :)
 Metallus
03-08-2002, 1:57 AM
Wait a minute, CMI is newer than those other games Are people having trouble running it in windows? :confused:
 Darnn
03-08-2002, 6:01 AM
And another thing... Since when is there a Zak256 for the PC?
 elTee
03-08-2002, 6:42 AM
Zak 256 is a fan thing - you can get some cool mp3's from the site. Do Indy FoA - 256!! I love that but it doesn't work on my PC.
 Darnn
03-08-2002, 7:59 AM
Oh, right, now I remember, they Zak256 team is using SVM to convert the thing to PC, right...
Well, in that case, definitely Zak256.
 Chuzwuzza
03-08-2002, 6:53 PM
Originally posted by Metallus
Wait a minute, CMI is newer than those other games Are people having trouble running it in windows? :confused:
No, but I'm having trouble running it in Linux. I don't have Windows you see.
 Ender
03-08-2002, 7:15 PM
Originally posted by Darnn
And another thing... Since when is there a Zak256 for the PC?

Well, the 256 colour Zak version was for FMTowns - but if you happened across an ISO of it, you would find that burning it to CD (or opening it with something like Daemon tools) would reveil a directory with a bunch of .lfl files in it.

Hmm, where have we seen those before? :)
 Darnn
03-09-2002, 2:51 AM
Hmm... So the FMTowns just has the same sturcture as a PC, or something?
And if so, what problem should there be converting it to run on PC?
Damn, I need to find that site again.
 Ender
03-09-2002, 5:58 AM
Originally posted by Darnn
Hmm... So the FMTowns just has the same sturcture as a PC, or something?
And if so, what problem should there be converting it to run on PC?
Damn, I need to find that site again.

[edited : hit the wrong button :)]

There are several versions of the SCUMM engine, with minor or major differences.

V1 - Maniac Mansion
V2 - Zak McCracken, Indy 3, Loom (IIRC)
V3 - Indy 3 (256 color), Zak (FMTOWNS version)
V4 - Monkey Island (EGA Version)
V5 - Loom (CD Version), Monkey (VGA), Monkey II, FOA
V6 - DOTT, Sam and Max
V7 - Full Throttle, The Dig
V8 - Curse of Monkey Island.

ScummVM currently supports V5, V6 and V7 in some regard.. we're now working on supporting older games. Unfortunatly V3 games (such as Indy 3, and the FMTOWNS Zak) use quite different data files... we havn't quite decoded all the differences yet.

So while you can take the data files from the FMTOWNS version, they don't quite work - yet! We're working on it however.

The Zak256 project is however working on making a specific engine to play the FMTOWNS game, while ScummVM is making a generic engine that should play all of them. Hopefully ScummVM will be finished first, simply because we already have the foundation from our work on all the OTHER games!
 Ender
03-09-2002, 6:05 AM
Also I made a big mistake in the poll!

The "Fate of Atlantis" options should actually be "Indy 3: Last Crusade".

ScummVM has supported FOA a while, and it should be fully playable.
 bgbennyboy
03-09-2002, 6:13 AM
Yes some people do have trouble playing CMI - in Windows XP (see the troubleshooting thread) the version of the scumm engine used in CMI sometimes has timing problems in XP.

Yes FOA works damm well in ScummVM the only problem being that the volume of speech vs music is set wrong.
 Ender
03-09-2002, 10:02 AM
I fixed the music volume a few days ago - there's also now a commandline option for setting it.

Grab the latest Windows snapshot from here:
http://scummvm.sourceforge.net/downloads/scummvmwin32.exe)

(or cvs update and compile it yourself if you use linux or have MSVC :)

Originally posted by bgbennyboy
Yes some people do have trouble playing CMI - in Windows XP (see the troubleshooting thread) the version of the scumm engine used in CMI sometimes has timing problems in XP.

Yes FOA works damm well in ScummVM the only problem being that the volume of speech vs music is set wrong.
 bgbennyboy
03-09-2002, 10:59 AM
Gets on his knees and indulges in some well-deserved scummvm worship.

BTW, I made LEC Quick and Easy (gets scumm LEC games working with voice and music in NT4/2000/XP)
I have FOA working with voice and music but it crashes a hell of a lot, I put this down to the version of scumm that FOA talkie uses (its never been the most stable version on any OS) you dont know any way that I could run it on a newer version of the scumm engine do you (eg the DOTT one).
Cheers
 Ender
03-09-2002, 2:52 PM
Nope - each scumm game differs very slightly in the way the engine is put together.... it'd be impossible to get one game to run on another scumm engine.

That's why ScummVM is so darn complex - I have to code a dozen different workarounds to make it work with every game. And it isn;t perfect yet either :p

Originally posted by bgbennyboy
you dont know any way that I could run it on a newer version of the scumm engine do you (eg the DOTT one).
Cheers
Page: 1 of 1