Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Cloth?

Page: 1 of 1
 Maynard
03-03-2002, 11:08 PM
Does anyone happen to know how well Quake3: TA engine handles flowing cloth? Cause, when it comes skinning time, we're gonna need those jedi and sith ROBES, not jedi or sith plastic drapes. :)

Oh, im new hi everyone!
 Dorvo
03-03-2002, 11:44 PM
I don't believe the engine has that capability... but Raven might have included it into the new engine.
 Jolts
03-03-2002, 11:49 PM
if you used something like maya you could use dynamics or maya cloth to animate the robes, then bake the animation when you get ready to export it out. Or the old fashioned way with bones or a lattice and hand animate it, or a million other ways
 JackTheGaffer
03-04-2002, 8:08 PM
you could fake it decently.
 BlackDragon
03-05-2002, 8:07 AM
If you check out q3a and ta then you'll see that they've got flags which flap in the wind. These are done through use of shaders which you can also apply to characters. But I don't know whether they'll necessarily suit jedi robes or not.

If you've got access to Q3 or EF then you could try it out. The EF GDK comes with a shader editor although I haven't tried it out. Alternatively there is Q3ASE for editing Q3 shaders (and maybe EF shaders too.)
 Major Clod
03-05-2002, 8:27 AM
Provided JKII doesn't use a skeletal animation system, but a vertex animation system instead, cloth animation could be achievable. There are a number of cloth animation packages that could be used. 3DS Studio Max has a neat plugin called Clothreyes that could be used. The animation just needs to be converted to a vertex animation once it is calculated, and it should work fine. However, such cloth animation packages usually require quite a few polygons to work, otherwise they can look just plain stupid, and also many errors can appear. Its just a matter of testing what works and what doesn't.
 Maynard
03-05-2002, 10:26 PM
Thanks every one! keep it comin!

:darth:
 Kyth Tal'ex
03-15-2002, 6:32 AM
I am quite certain that JKII uses vertex versus skeletal.
 Jolts
03-15-2002, 8:11 AM
I thought ghoul2 was all about skeletal
 Major Clod
03-15-2002, 8:22 AM
Jedi Knight II does infact use a skeletal animation system. Animating flowing robes would be quite a task indeed.
 Severian
03-28-2002, 11:31 AM
To the best of my knowledge, which (admittedly) is rather limited, I dont think that JK2 uses the Ghoul 2 engine...

I think that Ghoul was the engine used in Soldier of Fortune, to allow you to amputated limbs etc. Ghoul 2 was the engine they have designed for use in SOF2, which has a particle system....allowing you to cause a bloody mess to slide down a wall etc

This would be a VERY welcome addition to JK2, I mean, imagine being able to finish off an opponent by chopping them in half (EP1-style) *lol*

Unfortunately though, I dont think they use it
 Jolts
03-28-2002, 2:06 PM
They did use ghoul2 for jk2, just not to its full extent
Page: 1 of 1