Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Cooperative Multiplayer Modification

Page: 1 of 1
 Sturmgewehr
01-20-2002, 9:58 PM
I managed to successfully make a basic cooperative mod for the Medal of Honor SP demo(not the mod that has been released). My success there leads me to belive that making one for Jedi Knight II would be similar, since both games use the same engine. A friend of mine has offered to help me make this.

I just wanted to get a quick idea of how many people would be interested in a co-op mod for Jedi Knight II.

If you'd like to see such a mod, please post here. If you could also post what things you would like to see in such a mod, it would be very helpful :)
 UniKorn
01-21-2002, 11:30 AM
There is already someone working on it to make general coop code based on Raven's ICARUS scripting system.
 SlowbieOne
01-21-2002, 11:49 AM
If you ask me it is waaaaay more fun to play through a game co-op than by yourself.

WOW, you made than co-op mod for Medal of Honor pretty quick bud.:D

All I have to say is go for it, it won't go to waste.
:)
 Sturmgewehr
01-21-2002, 2:04 PM
I suppose there will be two Jedi Knight II co-op mods then.

Besides playing through the game cooperatively ourselves, we plan to make this mod because we enjoy editing. Completing this project may be just a way for us to familiarize ourselves with Jedi Knight II multiplayer so that we can move on to other projects.

And thank you for your support SlowbieOne. The Medal of Honor demo co-op mod that I made wasn't really complete. I only got to were you could play the level cooperatively, I didn't finish the menus and other final touches. The point was to see if I could to it, a proof of concept if you will.
 Roger
01-21-2002, 2:29 PM
Why do French schoolgirls shoot better?
 Sturmgewehr
01-21-2002, 3:40 PM
Its a taunt for multiplayer games :)
 Roger
01-22-2002, 12:19 PM
Ah...
 Sturmgewehr
01-22-2002, 11:31 PM
Roger, nice website, by the way. I like the layout. Excellent choice of colors.
 SlowbieOne
01-22-2002, 11:48 PM
I was thinking, that MoH demo hasn't been out long, and you already made it co-op? Not bad.

Just curious, how long you think would it take you to make JK2 co-op?
 UniKorn
01-23-2002, 3:15 AM
Originally posted by Sturmgewehr
I suppose there will be two Jedi Knight II co-op mods then.

Besides playing through the game cooperatively ourselves, we plan to make this mod because we enjoy editing. Completing this project may be just a way for us to familiarize ourselves with Jedi Knight II multiplayer so that we can move on to other projects.

My post wasn't meant in a disrespecting way. I just wanted to inform you about it since it might be a good idea to cooperate and exchange ideas.
 Sturmgewehr
01-23-2002, 5:21 AM
SlowbieOne, really I have no Idea.

We're still putting together a list of things we want to put into this mod. Things such as making the game harder. The singleplayer game as it is will be designed with one player in mind. Playing through with 3 people might be too easy and even boring. Making the bosses have more HP or putting in more stormtroopers, things like that. Making those changes will take the most time. It will greatly depend on how long the Singleplayer game is.

We also wanted to include things that would make the experience more enjoyable, such as a clean interface for starting and joining Co-op servers. Another idea was making the spawn point change as the players get further in the level. The idea being, you're 3/4ths of the way through the level and someone dies, they don't have to walk all the way through the level to catch up to their friends, they just spawn relatively close to them. Also putting spawn points after jumping puzzles. Redoing the same jumping puzzle gets old very quickly.

As the modding community for JKII begins to form, it is possible that custom models and skins will be used in the Cooperative mod.

It is actually possible to play Medal of Honor co-op using only a modified shortcut to the .exe . The problem with that is you can only play one level at a time, and to join a co-op server, you must first enter the game, then connect to the server by I.P. address in the console. We want to make it as simple as possible to create and join servers.

Once we finish all of those things, we'll need to test it, making sure scripted events flow correctly, plus finding and eliminating any bugs.

Currently with the Medal of Honor Co-op mod for the demo (the one that I made, I haven't tested the released one yet), the AI react to spectators. They willl try to shoot at the camera (which is actually funny, since a well placed spectator can get the germans to shoot each other :) ). Also, as the spectator, its possible to plant the explosives on the Nebelwerfer, completing the mission and bypassing all of the resistance. Also, the level does not go to the next level once completed, it must be manually restarted by the server in the console. All these problems we may encounter with Jedi Knight II. We won't know until the full game is released.

Unikorn, I didn't take your post as disrespecting or anything bad. I hope my own response didn't come off that way either, for it was not meant that way.
 UniKorn
01-23-2002, 8:33 AM
No it didn't, it just felt as if I stepped on your toes ;)
 Desslock
01-23-2002, 7:32 PM
Originally posted by UniKorn
No it didn't, it just felt as if I stepped on your toes ;)

Force Choke him ;)

I'd like to see this come to fruit, but It'll probably end up being similar to Sven unless you had a large group of content developers constantly working on new stuff. Gets kinda boring to play the same stuff over and over.. Though playing Coop through the single-player game would be a nice thing.
 Duszolap
01-23-2002, 7:58 PM
Sturmgewehr, i think that coop mode will be great. I am big fan of coop in all games but unfortunatelly most games dont have this mode nowadays - in my opinion due to lazy programers. thay seem to ignore players in coop matter. personally i dont know why because almost any FPP forum contains complaints about not including coop mode in many games. So we need it - thats clear.
Another thing. Can u tell me when u finish coop mod for MoH and where can i download it? I am extremely interested in coop for MoH -game is just perfect for coop (again thanks for developers for supporting it;).
Well maybe do you know somethin about other coop modification for some famous and no-coop games? maybe we have to form some Coop manifest or somethin:)

Greetz
 Sturmgewehr
01-24-2002, 1:32 AM
Thanks for the support. I'm not making a mod for Medal of Honor. I only was testing the concept out on the demo. What we are planning is for Jedi Knight II. There is, however, a team working on a co-op mod for Medal of Honor. You should be able to find more information about it at http://www.alliedassault.com) or http://www.alliedassault.net) . That same team has made a cooperative mod for the Medal of Honor Singleplayer demo aswell. You should be able to download it from either site.
 UniKorn
01-24-2002, 1:53 AM
Originally posted by Duszolap
Sturmgewehr, i think that coop mode will be great. I am big fan of coop in all games but unfortunatelly most games dont have this mode nowadays - in my opinion due to lazy programers.

These features are decided by management and game designers, not by the programmers.
 Gonkish
01-26-2002, 12:40 AM
Co-op is what made Serious Sam go from decent to pretty good. If you can tone down the lag while not detracting from the story, etc, sure, I'd play it. :)
 Millions o' Monkeys
01-26-2002, 2:10 AM
havnt seen you post for a very long time gonkish

sounds like a great idea sp co-op always manages to give me kicks
 GonkH8er
01-27-2002, 1:54 AM
Gonkish registered on the 22nd of this month monkeys. I think you're thinking of gonk droid
Page: 1 of 1