Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How much will the Jk mod community change with Jk2?

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth_Lando
12-27-2001, 6:11 PM
I say this because there are some differnces that
seperate the JK gaming community from everyone elses.

Here are some things I notice about the JK community that seperate it from others:

* People are generally more open to trying new maps than other communities. Take for instance Counter-Strike, people still want to play the same maps over and over. JK is what, 5 years old? And the editing community is still going strong and vibrant. And people are still downloading these maps!

* The community is generally positive and encouraging. When people release maps they usually don't get torn to shreds and ridiculed as in other communites, instead there is constructive criticism and complements.

It looks like JK2 is shaping up to be a big hit and potentially garner a good corner of the multiplayer market which means many new faces to becoming here in the future.

How much do you think the JK community is going to change? I am not against change, but I would hate to lose the good points we already have here.
 UniKorn
12-28-2001, 2:17 AM
The main change will probably be that there will be other people who never heard of Jedi Knight 1 will be more experienced in mapping for JK2 because of their quake3 or elite force experience.
 Wilhuf
12-28-2001, 10:06 AM
If the Jedi Knight editing community is based heavily on a specific game and specific existing editing tools, Jedi Outcast could completely change the Jedi Knight editing community.

If existing Jedi Knight editors switch over to the (hypoethetical at this point) Jedi Radiant for Jedi Outcast, the focus and methods of map making and content creation will change, of course.

Sure, the future Jedi Outcast editing community could be composed of the original Jedi Knight editors. They will simply be using different tools, and different methods. This won't be a great change.

But, community membership will not remain the same. There will also be 'newcomers' to the Jedi editing community. (Even veteran Jedi Knight editors will be newcomers to Jedi Outcast editing. Everyone will be new to Jedi Outcast editing.)

And to call some of the new blood to the q3 tech editing scene 'newcomers' would really be incorrect. I expect at least some veteran q3/elite force editors who have never touched Jedi Knight editing tools will make a level or two for Jedi Outcast (provided they have the tools they need).

And it will be a boost to the community if experienced quake3/elite force mappers join the Jedi Outcast editing community. We should be able to draw on their talents and experience to produce some good material.

I don't agree that other mapping communities less 'open' than the Jedi Knight editing community. The other editing communities, such as Q3 or Half Life, are much larger. These communities have powerful tools readily available. There are a lot more maps and content being produced than in Jedi Knight. There is a lot more chaff to strip away to get to the 'wheat.'

It isn't surprising that there is more judgement and criticism with so many maps available. Perhaps this is the 'closedness' we are concerned about?
 PedHead
12-30-2001, 6:48 PM
This is a good topic. I've been apart of the Jedi Knight community for quite some time, and I'm really interested in seeing the Jedi Outcast community is going to evolve. The Jedi Knight community is decreasing in size, I guess you could say this because the game itself is 5 years old. The editing community is still strong and people are still willing to try levels. Thinking about it now, I can tell that the editing tools are going to be much different than Jedi Knight's. The popular Jedi Knight level editor JED isn't based on brushes. For most of my beginning time in the community I'll be learning the tools. I personally don't mind learning another level editor or how to edit a game. In fact that is what made the Jedi Knight community so strong. Information was scarce on how to use the new released level editor JED. The community pulled together and shared there knowledge of what they know, and how to accomplish certain effects. I don't think it will be the same for Jedi Outcast due to experienced level editors in q3.

I must say I really miss the good old times when Jedi Knight had a large community. I've had a wonderful experience in meeting new people when the Jedi Knight community was growing, and I hope it will be the same with the Jedi Outcast community.

- Cheers :saberg:
 ReAcToR
12-31-2001, 3:18 PM
I remember a few of your levels from Jedi Knight, I believe. It's nice seeing you here. I too edited levels for Jedi Knight and am still working with JED.

Originally posted by PedHead

The community pulled together and shared there knowledge of what they know, and how to accomplish certain effects. I don't think it will be the same for Jedi Outcast due to experienced level editors in q3.

This isn't at all unique with Jedi Knight. There are already a great deal of us who have already started to learn GtkRadiant and will be there to help out those people who are making the transition from JED. There is already alot of documentation on Q3 Engine based editors and if we all start learning now, we will be ready for Jedi Outcast.

The early bird catches the worm and that early bird is those that have been using brush-editors since day 1. It may take awhile to catch up...but catch up we shall.
 UniKorn
01-04-2002, 4:53 AM
Exactly what I wanted to say in my post :)
 lonepadawan
01-18-2002, 6:53 PM
Other comunities I have noticed,don't seem to have as much imagination as the JK one. They stick to their particular genre most of the time while JK has people making "real world"mods more star wars, fantasy, star trek and even snowboarding. Also I have noticed that the other comunities aren't as friendly to those who want to start editing. They will simply tell them "Ur work SUX ur a N00B" even if they don't edit themselves. JK has always been friendlier and encourages people and give them constructive criticisms.
 Damazig
01-19-2002, 11:13 AM
yea, I just hope that the JK comunity keeps that way.:atat:
 UniKorn
01-21-2002, 11:44 AM
Most of the times it are the rude people who know most of the stuff and when they say that your map sucks it actually does. Most people of the EF community will probably switch and they are all very nice people :D
Page: 1 of 1