Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Any one Play Indy and the Infernal Machine?

Page: 1 of 1
 The Adventurer
12-18-2001, 5:35 PM
I just got it and other then some chuncky controls I love it. What are your opinons on the game?
 Schmatz
12-18-2001, 6:04 PM
Yeha, I liked the story, but the game looked like Tomb Raider. I also liked the fact that weapons weren't the biggest part of the game... because it had puzzles too!
 Trapezoid
12-18-2001, 8:00 PM
The levels were my favorite part. So many different places...
 1.21 Jigawatts?
12-19-2001, 7:32 AM
Its a good game,
with a good plot + puzzles,
but I got too annoyed by bugs so stopped playing it.
 DanSky
12-19-2001, 8:46 AM
great game.........
The only regret is the graphic... Think at that game
with the engine of RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFESTEIN...
I say this after seen the nazists charcters...

Good game, but LA is not making the miracles that made in the past...
JKII included.... evryone is happy because watching the stormtroopers with more poligons than the precedent is surely fantastic, but nothing compared with HF, MAX PAYNE, and the 3d games actually coming. Or already comes...MAX PAYNE is better than JK2 and it comes out months ago.
 Skyfox
12-19-2001, 1:15 PM
I thought Indy and teh Infernal Machine was great! I'm a big Tomb Raider fan, so I already liked teh style. But this game is MASSIVE.. HUGE... quite big...

And the graphics looked great, I mean.. just look at those Textures (Created by non-other than Bill Tiller, CMI genius!) At the time they where some of the best I'd ever seen!

And I'm still spooked by the fact that when I finished the game my score was 1138...

All the Best
~Skyfox
 Gabez
12-19-2001, 1:36 PM
I agree with Skyfox, it was great!

I didn't encounter any bugs. And I'm way too tired to make this post interesting. I think I will sleep now... sleep...

"I'm no gardener, but I read somewhere that plants need light!"

Oh, and did anyone else get to the secret level at the end? Eh? Eh?

And I found something funny in the game, but I'm not going to tell you!! Ha!
 MrManager
12-19-2001, 2:03 PM
I couldn't stand it myself. If the controls had been better, then maybe, but they really spoiled everything for me.
 Gabez
12-19-2001, 3:16 PM
Hmm. I didn't have any problem with the controls... In fact, I thought they were excellent. You could move and shhot at the same time, and getting jumps right was really easy. Oh, and the first person look thing was fantastic.
 dark spirit
12-19-2001, 3:21 PM
I thought it was brilliant! I like how you can press F10 then type makemeapirate (if you haven't done this yet do so now!) I loved the egypt levels, running over those hyenas is easier than shooting them!

The original Tomb Raider (being indy!) in a Tomb Raider style adventure!
 Trapezoid
12-19-2001, 3:56 PM
I wish I could play the first half of the game... :(
 dark spirit
12-19-2001, 3:58 PM
Originally posted by Trapezoid
I wish I could play the first half of the game... :(

Why can't you?
 Trapezoid
12-19-2001, 4:07 PM
I lost the first CD. I still have the game installed though, and I can load saved games from the second half of the game though.
 dark spirit
12-19-2001, 4:11 PM
have you tried looking behind your computer I always find old game CDs there except they're all scratched up from being on the floor <:(
 Trapezoid
12-19-2001, 4:13 PM
Nah, it's been missing for a long time. My computer's been moved several times, my room's been gutted. The only place I can think it might be (other than rotting in the basement or a closet somewhere) is under the rug.
 SlowbieOne
12-19-2001, 8:29 PM
I felt this game was made just to cash in. They basically tried to copy Tomb Raider and failed miserably. Some of the most shameful control ever, hands down.
 Trapezoid
12-19-2001, 8:52 PM
Originally posted by SlowbieOne
I felt this game was made just to cash in. They basically tried to copy Tomb Raider and failed miserably. Some of the most shameful control ever, hands down.

Ehehehehem, was Maniac Mansion just cashing in on Sierra's graphic adventures...?
 Lemon Head
12-20-2001, 6:58 AM
Originally posted by SlowbieOne
I think they tried to take the tomb radier genre but make a good original game instead of the god-awful series starring a certain woman who should have an unpleasant balance problem.

I personally think they suceeded, i'd play indy over tomb raider ANY day, a far better and far more immersive game in every particular
 dark spirit
12-20-2001, 2:47 PM
I agree, indy had a pretty cool storyline which was properly introduced unlike the adventures of a certain woman who if she were real would have some terrible back problems due to a certain, how shall I say this, weightage, yep!
 BooJaka14m
12-22-2001, 9:33 AM
Yeah. It's a good game and the last two levels in particular are the best because they're so enclosed and just plain weird.
 Gabez
12-22-2001, 3:34 PM
Indy had a great feel to it, like you were in one of the films or something. Not the best game ever (tm), but still a very fun and enjoyable experience - certainly recommended.
 telarium
12-22-2001, 8:06 PM
I didn't like Infernal Machine. Yes, the controls were very clunky and the engine was already quite outdated when it was released. But I must say that I just didn't care for the story, and the dialogue seemed pretty poor in some places. I usually try to avoid having high expectations about any game or movie, but I couldn't help it due to Hal Barwood's work on Fate of Atlantis. Story wise, this game just didn't live up. I will, however, give it credit about bridging the gap a bit between graphic adventures and action games. Although neither the action parts or the puzzles were that great, in my opinion. I never did find the killing of communists to be fun. I had very little fun playing this game, even though I really wanted to.

"I'm no gardener, but I think I read somewhere that plants need light." -- Yeah, no sh*t, Professor Jones.
 Gabez
12-23-2001, 6:11 AM
Indeed, although I'm really suprised about the amount of problems people had with the controls - I thought they worked really well.

Beh.
 telarium
12-23-2001, 1:15 PM
I just felt them to be slow and cumbersome. It didn't have the smooth, fast, fun controls of a game like, say, Max Payne, Alice, or Drakan... not that I loved those games, but I enjoyed their controls. Indy moved like an old man in comparison... which I suppose he is by now.
 Lemon Head
12-27-2001, 3:55 PM
it had the same controls as tomb raider and i dont see anyone dissing that - maybe if jones had got a little surgery things might have been different
 Darnn
12-27-2001, 4:09 PM
Indy3D...
Well, I don't like it. That is to say, I would send Trap the first CD if the postage weren't so high. In general, as a game, it is outdated, has clunky controls, lots of bugs, and little fun.
However... I'm no fan of Tomb Raider. I've tried playing it several times, and each one I hated the controls so much, I just had to stop. Also, although the engine was very outdated, the level design was beautiful in some places. I mean, things you could just stand and look at. And besides, I didn't expect much. I have recieved, sadly, even less, but it was still worth the money. I played through with God mode, and just watched a very annoying interactive movie. In that way, it's quite fun. It is Indy, after all.
In conclusion, I'm not going to replay it, but if anyone should get their hands on it, there's no reason not to pass it with god mode on.
 telarium
12-27-2001, 9:47 PM
Originally posted by Lemon Head
it had the same controls as tomb raider and i dont see anyone dissing that - maybe if jones had got a little surgery things might have been different

I've never played a Tomb Raider game, and if its controls are the same as Infernal Machine's, I won't ever be playing them. :)
 digl
12-27-2001, 9:53 PM
really fun game
I loved the levels, their size, their architechture
the bonus level Return to Peru was great too
 Trapezoid
12-28-2001, 12:45 PM
Darnn: No need to send me the CD, I got a new copy of the game for Christmas. :)
 dark spirit
12-29-2001, 3:53 PM
and due to the applicable laws of s*d you'll probably find the first disc pretty soon!
 Emperor Dan
12-30-2001, 1:36 PM
I liked it. The story was great and intriguing, I wanted to play more and more. The controls weren't the best, no, but I got used to them and they weren't a problem after awhile. I liked all the secret stuff in the game (Anyone else found that huge underground gorge in the first level). The last two levels were really neat. However, I found the robot boss to be too easy. Much too obvious on what to do.

The cool part is that the game never explains some of the oddities, such as robots in ancient egypt and what the atherium was. It's better left unknown :jawa
 Lemon Head
01-02-2002, 6:30 AM
it's hard to create a good difficulty level on games because some people are better at them than others.

Re: the robot boss - they wanted a solution that was more than just shooting it, and while it may not have been exceptionally difficult to work out, i can't stand it when i'm stumped on the same boss for months on end.

They're solutions were much more satisfying than the ordinary shoot-till-they-die strategy which is still favoured by a very large number of games.

I think we need more original paths to take, like we could in Indy, i want the "difficulty level" of games to be dicated by how much i need to think and solve, not how many more bullets i need to pump into a creature.
 dark spirit
01-02-2002, 3:26 PM
yeah it was pretty cool how you had to solve puzzle instead of blowing them to bits!
Page: 1 of 1