Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Your Favorite Non-LucasArts Adventure Games

Page: 2 of 2
 Lemon Head
12-12-2001, 5:20 PM
well, in the face of such solid facts i shall back down and admit defeat, simon 3 was supposed to have come out over a year ago but collapsed before it could.

The main point is that if/when it does come out, still don't get it because i played the review code when i was doing some work at a games mag and it was god awful
 MrManager
12-12-2001, 5:25 PM
Originally posted by Lemon Head
well, in the face of such solid facts i shall back down and admit defeat, simon 3 was supposed to have come out over a year ago but collapsed before it could.

The main point is that if/when it does come out, still don't get it because i played the review code when i was doing some work at a games mag and it was god awful

Now, THAT, I will agree on.
 Lemon Head
12-12-2001, 5:28 PM
Well that's a relief - i am not often so honored
 Schmatz
12-12-2001, 7:04 PM
I wish I knew what the hell you guys were talking about...
 Lemon Head
12-12-2001, 7:19 PM
Simon the sorcerer 3D
 xGrimx
12-12-2001, 7:25 PM
Broken Sword series & Gabriel Knight series. Sea Dogs wasn't too bad.
 Natty
12-12-2001, 8:01 PM
Originally posted by Lemon Head
Natty, Darnn wasn't having a go at you, he was giving his own opinion of why certain comments were made in an orderly manner - your reaction was totally uncalled for and any more of that kind will lead to consequences

this is a warning

Yeah- I know Lemon Head, I do apologize, to everyone for my comments they were out of line and unnecesarry- Darnn and I just have different opinions on what classifies as an 'adventure game'
 Ender
12-12-2001, 8:23 PM
Simon 1 & 2 definatly. Can we stop dissing a non-existant game, no matter how much the review code sucked? :)

Ted Murphy in Under a Killing Moon... Starship Titanic, of course - who can beat DNAs sense of humor?

Most anything from early infocom days (nobody said it had to be graphical!)... Expecially HHGTTG, much as some of the later puzzles simply became really confusing. Of course, I just liked the fluff in the box!

I'm sure theres more, I could ramble on for hours :p
 JiveMonkey
12-12-2001, 10:01 PM
Does Commander Keen count as an adventure game? It was really my first PC gaming experience - so everything was an adventure. Up to that point I was a "PC adventure virgin" as some might put it. But then we would have to say that I lost my virginity to Commander Keen and.......:ball:
 Trapezoid
12-12-2001, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by JiveMonkey
Does Commander Keen count as an adventure game? It was really my first PC gaming experience - so everything was an adventure. Up to that point I was a "PC adventure virgin" as some might put it. But then we would have to say that I lost my virginity to Commander Keen and.......:ball:

No, I'd say that's more of a platformer/action game.
Just curious, though, what was your first real technical adventure game? Mine was either Sam 'n' Max or Leisure Suit Larry 3.
 Lemon Head
12-13-2001, 7:52 AM
Originally posted by Endy
Most anything from early infocom days (nobody said it had to be graphical!)... Expecially HHGTTG, much as some of the later puzzles simply became really confusing.
H2G2 was, without a doubt, one of the hardest, most obscure games in existance - still fun, but bloody impossible
 Prinity
12-13-2001, 8:53 AM
Originally posted by Endy

Ted Murphy in Under a Killing Moon... Starship Titanic, of course - who can beat DNAs sense of humor?

Heh... when I tried to play Under a Killing Moon the sound didn't work and then I lost the first cd. I'm sure I'll find it someday. I also liked Starship Titanic, even though I know a lot of people got frustrated because the puzzles were pretty much impossible. It got more interesting when you knew what to say to the various robots/parrot.
 Swordmaster
12-13-2001, 11:06 AM
The Gabriel Knight series (especially The Beast Within and Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned), the Quest for Glory series (especially Wages of War), Laura Bow 2: Dagger of Amon Ra, The Longest Journey... There are lots. :D
 Darnn
12-13-2001, 1:39 PM
Err... Yeah.
I wasn't trying to say you were wrong, or give you a lecture. I merely pointed out that different people have different definitions.
 DomStLeger
12-13-2001, 4:01 PM
The Last Express, Gabriel Knight 3, Broken Sword, Discworld Noir
 Natty
12-13-2001, 6:49 PM
Originally posted by Darnn
Err... Yeah.
I wasn't trying to say you were wrong, or give you a lecture. I merely pointed out that different people have different definitions.

It's ok Darnn, my fault for taking it the wrong way :)
 JiveMonkey
12-13-2001, 11:02 PM
My first REAL adventure game would have to be Dizzy that egg adventurer guy for Sega Genesis....that game was great except really hard for a young'n like me. Does that count?
 Ben Whatsisname
12-14-2001, 12:47 AM
That would be a toss-up between Nine Princes in Amber and Rendezvous with Rama, both text/graphic adventure games by Telarium Games. (Yes, kiddies...that's where tel got his nick)

In the end though, I would have to go with Nine Princes. Played both games on the commodore 64 and when Corwin (your character) gets his eyes burnt out by a red-hot poker, that Commodore SID chip made the most realistic sound effect that I had ever heard. Ouch!
 Darnn
12-14-2001, 10:11 AM
Wow, Amber and Rama adventures exist?
Why didn't anyone ever port them? Text adventures tend to get annoying, and still, I mean, Amber.
Not that I've read the books, or anything. I just know what they're about, and that they're poorly translated to Hebrew ("You're in trouble." translates as "You've got problems." And it is completely unnecessary.)
 Ben Whatsisname
12-14-2001, 4:34 PM
They existed on the Commodore - I have them both somewhere in emulator .ROM format as well as on the C=64 floppies.
 Erwin_Br
12-14-2001, 5:14 PM
I never really enjoyed text-adventure games. Finding the right words in the game's parser often took more time than the actual puzzle-solving.

My favourite non-lec games are all graphic adventures. A top five:

5- Flight of the Amazon Queen
4- Normality
3- Titanic: Adventure out of time
2- Discworld
1- Simon the Sorceror 2

Place one and two are close, though.

--Erwin
 dark spirit
12-15-2001, 9:23 AM
fantastic dizzy was a class game i had it on the master system it was extremely difficult!
 Squinkee
12-15-2001, 12:02 PM
Toonstruck ruled!
 1.21 Jigawatts?
12-17-2001, 4:27 PM
Blade Runner
Broken Sword series
Police Quest series

loads of other great ones,
but these are my faves.
 Flirbnic
12-18-2001, 5:06 PM
Myst. It's not just the graphics... it has wonderful atmosphere and music, an interesting story, and puzzles that actually make you think.
Page: 2 of 2