Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Your Favorite Non-LucasArts Adventure Games

Page: 1 of 2
 Bobbin
12-09-2001, 1:33 PM
Mine would have to be
Blade Runner
The Longest Journey
Circle of Blood
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror
Beneath a Steel Sky
 dark spirit
12-09-2001, 1:36 PM
Broken sword 1
Broken sword 2
Simon the sorceror 1
Simon the sorceror 2
The Feeble Files
and that's about all the non lucasarts adventures I've played!
 Feral
12-09-2001, 2:07 PM
Beneath a Steel Sky, and the BS series
 ED
12-09-2001, 2:14 PM
The BS series and Discworld Noir
 TunaMurray
12-09-2001, 2:28 PM
Riven
Exile
Myst
Redjack: Revenge of the breatheren
Sea Dogs
Titanic: Adventure out of time
and a few others i cant think of right now
 raVen_image
12-09-2001, 2:34 PM
I have said this in other forums but:

The Gabriel Knight Series (Seirra, written by Jane Jensen) are not to be missed. They are listed as:

Sins of the Fathers (old school graphics)
The Beast Within (video interface)
Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned (the best 3D interface I have ever encountered ...lots of camera options)

These are complex, horror stories that deal with events in real history and mythology. They are must plays. My favorite is the third, but they are all good in their own way.

I wish that the 4th game was not abandoned by Sierra ...Jane writes engaging storylines. Ah well. try them...they are great.
 Snootch
12-09-2001, 2:45 PM
Flight Of The Amazon Queen is good. Alien Incident is good too. It's a finnish game. Too short, though. Gabriel Knight and almost every sierra games where you can't die are good. I hate dying in adventure games.
 Bobbin
12-09-2001, 2:46 PM
I am thinking of asking for the Gabriel Knight 1/2 Pack for my birthday in January. I have already playe Gabriel Knight for abandonware it was pretty good and I played the demo for Gabriel Knight 3 but i didn't think that it was all that good.
 scabb
12-09-2001, 3:01 PM
Broken Sword. The Sequel was superior, but this is the beginning of a soon-to-be trio, and it deserves the merit

Toonstruck. Great Game, Easy enough with a few nice puzzles and some great gags. Nicely structured game too.

Half-Life. Brilliant game.

The Sims. Original & Excellent

Rollercoaster Tycoon. I love it.
 MrManager
12-09-2001, 3:02 PM
Broken Sword series: Great serious storylines, with just the right amount of humour.

Simon The Sorceror I & II: Mindless humour is good once in a while. :)
 Gabez
12-09-2001, 3:14 PM
The humour in Simon The Sorcerer is NOT mindless! It's just... er... English.

But to the point. My favourite non LucasArts advenutre games ARE:

Simon I and II (duh),
Discworld Noir (I played it so much I had to get new fingers),
The Last Express (top game, that)

Hmm. That's not very many.
 El Pollo Diablo
12-09-2001, 4:00 PM
My favorite non lucas adventure games is Simon the Sorceror 1 & 2.
 Haggis
12-09-2001, 4:14 PM
Discworld
Muppet Treasure Island

(I like the Muppets)
 FaNaTiC
12-09-2001, 5:05 PM
Torins Passage

Titanic:Adventure out of time

King's Quest (though i only played 5,6, & 7)

and Haggis- the Muppets Rule!
 Lemon Head
12-09-2001, 5:16 PM
discworld games
broken sword games
liesure suit larry games
simon 1 and 2 (just dont even talk about 3, it's pure sacralige)
toon struck (such a PHAT game)

p.s. dont give me any of that Myst crap, that stuff should be burnt and sunk into the mariana trench!!! (no, not marijuana trench)

p.p.s. - half-life is NOT and adventure game!
 Schmatz
12-09-2001, 6:36 PM
Are you saying that there are other adventure games besides Lucasarts?!!!!!

Heh.
I've played and beaten the Journeyman Project Series, and, since Lemonhead refuses to accept Myst as an 'adventure', I guess I can't add the Myst series to the list. I really don't play many games, I just plat an elite few A WHOLE LOT!

Diablo 2, Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger (best game ever), and I own Finaly Fantasy VIII, but its bad. I dunno if you wanna consider these 'adventure', but I play them and they are my favorite.
 Meksilon
12-10-2001, 3:11 AM
King's Quest

=mek=
 Natty
12-10-2001, 4:02 AM
Lesuire Suit Larry 3
Legend Of Kyrandia
The Sims
Wolfenstien
Prince Of Persia
 Lemon Head
12-10-2001, 5:04 AM
No Schmatz, i don't consider them avdentures, they're blatant RPGs but i'll forgive you cos you're so nice

and natty, neither the sims, wolfenstein or prince of persia is an adventure game
 The Adventurer
12-10-2001, 9:37 AM
Gotta be

Blade Runner (WestWood)
Zork Grade Inquisitor (Activition)
Zork Nemesis (Activition)
Return to Zork (Infocom)
Douglas Adam's StarShip Titanic (The Digital Village)
The Neverhood (Dreamworks)

(I can't believe no ones metioned Zork yet!)
 Lemon Head
12-10-2001, 9:59 AM
the neverhood was a craaaaazy game, talk about original graphics tho - impressive

you know when it first came out it cost 50 quid
 The Adventurer
12-10-2001, 12:16 PM
Quid? Sorry I'm American what country is that from?

Oh and I realy liked the Neverhood because 1) It was a funny game like LucasArt Adventurers and 2) The Puzzles were Myst like. It was the perfect combination of both.
 MrManager
12-10-2001, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by The Adventurer
Quid? Sorry I'm American what country is that from?

It's how Brits say "50 bucks" basically.
 Trapezoid
12-10-2001, 2:54 PM
Space Quest 5, King's Quest 6, Simon the Sorceror, Discworld...
 Jake
12-10-2001, 3:14 PM
I haven't played that many really :(

I liked TLJ and... erm. I enjoyed Kings Quest 5 at the time but in hindsight it was sort of "ehhh."

I played that Black Cauldron Sierra game a long time ago and it was the devil.
 Prinity
12-10-2001, 3:16 PM
Neverhood, Journeyman, Discworld, Neverhood, Tex Murphy, Neverhood.
 Lemon Head
12-10-2001, 3:32 PM
tex murphy! now there was a hardcore guy, the books that spawned off it were also really cool.

that's a point - i dont like any of the myst series, i just find them too unrewarding and a bit pointless, but the myst books are amazing
 dark spirit
12-10-2001, 4:39 PM
Originally posted by Lemon Head

simon 1 and 2 (just dont even talk about 3, it's pure sacralige)

Simon 3D isn't out yet is it? If it is where have I been!
 Jake
12-10-2001, 4:46 PM
I liked Riven even though I sucked at it and didn't complete it. Not an "adventure game" per se but it was definitely a well thoought out complex as all hell puzzle. Aside from the exceptionally high learning curve at the start of the game it was superbly desgined.

Myst III seemed sort of cobbled together and I didnt play it much at all.
 Jake
12-10-2001, 4:46 PM
Also, I like "The Wonky Adventure," if anyone has played that? I think thats the working title.
 Schmatz
12-10-2001, 4:57 PM
Originally posted by The Adventurer

(I can't believe no ones metioned Zork yet!)

I played Zork II and Grand Inquisitor, but I didn't really like them that much.

Myst three was totally thrown together and wasn't that good at all. That reminds me, I need to finish it!

Journeyman Series is my favorite non-Lucasarts games Adventure series of all time. I love those games!
 Lemon Head
12-10-2001, 5:19 PM
Originally posted by dark spirit
Simon 3D isn't out yet is it? If it is where have I been!
hehe, i don't know where you've been if you hadn't heard about simon 3d but it probably involves caves below the surface of the earth.

but for the love of all things adventure, if you liked simon 1 + 2 then dont, for pities sake, get 3
 Meksilon
12-11-2001, 6:15 AM
Originally posted by Natty
Lesuire Suit Larry 3
Legend Of Kyrandia
The Sims
Wolfenstien
Prince Of Persia

It did say "adventure games" - for instance thoes are classics so are Lemmings, ROTT, Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, Golden Axe (moves off COMPUTER games)... Donkey Kong, Alex Kidd, Tetris....

Oh how I love classic games.

=mek=
 Natty
12-11-2001, 6:43 AM
Originally posted by Meksilon

It did say "adventure games" - for instance thoes are classics so are Lemmings, ROTT, Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, Golden Axe (moves off COMPUTER games)... Donkey Kong, Alex Kidd, Tetris....

Oh how I love classic games.

=mek=

God- what is your problem? Technically in my opinion, games like Prince Of Persia are an adventure game, even though it's not a game you can save (arcade is the word I'm looking for I think) Legend Of Kyrandia was definatly an adventure game and so was Lesiure Suit Larry 3, ok so maybe the Sims and Wolfenstien aren't adventure games- but they're still some of my fave games, so I included them. Scabb mentioned the Sims and you didn's say anything about him mentioning it. Sure the games I mentioned might be 'classics' as you call them- but I prefer those classics and the way you make it sound it's a bad thing, just like it was my opinion on starwars, and you call me childish for it and it feels like all you're doing is making snide remarks about stuff I say or picking me up on tiny little insignificant details.

Sorry- I do apologize if this wasn't the intention you had, it's late I need sleep, but it's my opinion and I do feel like you're critasizing me and I do get rather annoyed about it sometimes when I feel like I'm not allowed to have an opinion. Also to everyone else I do apologize, didn't mean to be so *****y.
 dark spirit
12-11-2001, 7:04 AM

hehe, i don't know where you've been if you hadn't heard about simon 3d but it probably involves caves below the surface of the earth.

but for the love of all things adventure, if you liked simon 1 + 2 then dont, for pities sake, get 3

When was it released?
 Lemon Head
12-11-2001, 8:03 AM
Originally posted by dark spirit
When was it released?
About 1 to 1 and a half years ago
 Darnn
12-11-2001, 12:15 PM
Natty, don't let Daniel bother you.
For the record, they're not adventure games by the tighter definition we in the community have, but they could be considered adventure games by wider standards.
Generally, when we say adventure, we usually mean the kind where communication and items play a larger part in your success than shooting and jumping. And where mostly, charachters don't have stats.
 Schmatz
12-11-2001, 5:39 PM
Usually, like in Lucas Adventure games, dying and losing aren't easy to come by... usually when playing adventure games, the player would get stuck at a point, but doesn't die or isn't killed by a boss!

By the way Natty, those games are kickass ;)
 Natty
12-11-2001, 7:11 PM
Originally posted by Darnn
Natty, don't let Daniel bother you.
For the record, they're not adventure games by the tighter definition we in the community have, but they could be considered adventure games by wider standards.
Generally, when we say adventure, we usually mean the kind where communication and items play a larger part in your success than shooting and jumping. And where mostly, charachters don't have stats.

Well I have a different definition of an adventure game- deal with it, and I'm not in denyal, if I was in denyal, trust me you would know. Sheeesh what the hell is wrong with some people? Is it normal for people to have poles shoved so far up their arses? No one else commented on them, obviously you're probably one of those trouble making wankers.

Why thankyou Schmatz :)
 Lemon Head
12-12-2001, 11:30 AM
Natty, Darnn wasn't having a go at you, he was giving his own opinion of why certain comments were made in an orderly manner - your reaction was totally uncalled for and any more of that kind will lead to consequences

this is a warning
 dark spirit
12-12-2001, 4:09 PM

About 1 to 1 and a half years ago

Are you sure we mean the same game?
I've checked shop websites and they say simon 3D isn't out yet!
Are you sure you don't mean the feeble files?
 Lemon Head
12-12-2001, 4:13 PM
of course i don't mean the feeble files! (ironic name considering THAT particular title's quality of gameplay)

Simon 3 is being re-released which is why it is 'not out yet' but trust me on this, it has been for over a year
 MrManager
12-12-2001, 4:19 PM
of course i don't mean the feeble files! (ironic name considering THAT particular title's quality of gameplay)

Simon 3 is being re-released which is why it is 'not out yet' but trust me on this, it has been for over a year

Simon 3 was never released, mainly because South Peak went down the drain. The gold copy was made, and that was the last we heard about it.
 dark spirit
12-12-2001, 4:20 PM

really?
 Lemon Head
12-12-2001, 5:00 PM
Well according to my sources, it was released - plus i'e seen it on sale
 MrManager
12-12-2001, 5:04 PM
Well according to my sources, it was released - plus i'e seen it on sale

Then you've must've seen more than anybody in this thread has seen http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=903&highlight=Simon)
 Lemon Head
12-12-2001, 5:06 PM
it was in stock on amazon.co.uk at one point
 MrManager
12-12-2001, 5:07 PM
Probably pre-order. You must admit it's a bit strange that you're the only one that's seen it :)
 Lemon Head
12-12-2001, 5:08 PM
but it said in stock, and there were comments on it and everything - you know how they have the customer review system thing
 MrManager
12-12-2001, 5:13 PM
but it said in stock, and there were comments on it and everything - you know how they have the customer review system thing

Right, but look at games/movies that are gonna be released next year, and you'll see they all have comments. I also remember receiving a mail from Adventuresoft on their Simon 3d mailing list, saying that it had gone gold, but that they lost the publishing deal.
Page: 1 of 2