Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Whose gonna see Jay and Silent Bob

Page: 1 of 1
 acdcfanbill
08-02-2001, 11:47 PM
that movie looks cool, in fact, all of kevin smiths movies are good!! anyway, this one looks good too, and im gonna see it aug 24. on the plus side, KS must be a big Star wars fan, cause he includes it in all his movies.

oh, and a good mallrats/SW quote:

Jay: "how did you get the tape?"
Silent Bob: *taps hat brim*
Jay: "Jedi Mind Trick? Holy cow, mother****ing Yoda and $hit!"
Silent Bob: "Adventure, Excitment? A Jedi craves not these things."

[ August 31, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]
 Letalis
08-03-2001, 12:48 PM
Jay and Silent Bob? Is it a new movie? Excuse the ignorance, blame the tyrany of distance...
 KillerBee
08-03-2001, 4:28 PM
I thought it was called Jay and Silent Bob strike back?
anyway I will be seeing it hopefully..
 acdcfanbill
08-03-2001, 5:35 PM
well, thats true, it is called "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" inside the ESB square we all know and love. i just though that would make a rather long thread title, and shortened it up to jay and silent bob. :D
 MadPoster
08-03-2001, 8:40 PM
A must see!

I heard Mark Hamil is in the movie as well.
 CaptainRAVE
08-03-2001, 8:44 PM
Have you seen how fat Mark Hamil is in the wing commander series :rolleyes:
 Letalis
08-03-2001, 10:31 PM
*Sigh*

Well, give it a couple of months and I'll comment, I hadn't even heard about it here in Oz... :(
 acdcfanbill
08-03-2001, 11:44 PM
a couple months, ugh! ya, mark hamill is supposed to be in it. have you seen the trailer letalis? if not go to viewaskew.com (kevin smiths film co.'s site) and work you way around to Jay and S.Bob strike back. the good quailty one is twenty eight megs i think, but i just left mine d/l one morining... anyway, im way off track here... so, yes im gonna see it (you prob knew that already)
 Letalis
08-04-2001, 4:18 AM
Thanks a heap acdcfanbill.

the good quailty one is twenty eight megs i think, but i just left mine d/l one morining...

Worry not, I have Cable! :cool:

[Edit]
I couldn't find the Trailer, do you mind getting a more specific URL? Sorry...

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: Letalis ]
 acdcfanbill
08-05-2001, 4:09 PM
go here and pick you trailer....scooping the monkey, downlaods (http://newsaskew.com/va5/downloads.shtml)
 Letalis
08-06-2001, 4:19 AM
Thanks again! ;)
 Chewie_Rips
08-08-2001, 4:02 PM
Snoochy Boochies!...this movie will be great, as all ks movies are....Mall rats, is probably my favorite, and I need a little more Silent Bob and Jay, after Dogma sucked, and I was hoping they do a movie with just jay and Bob...looks like we got are wish, as long as Ben Aflect only has a cameo this time, we cool... :D
 acdcfanbill
08-08-2001, 11:57 PM
dogma wasnt that bad, it was chasing amy that made me mad, it was too much of a romantic comedy.... although it had its funny parts.
 Mafia_Jabba
08-09-2001, 11:46 PM
Dogma was awesome and so was mall rats..what else did he make?
 Kurgan
08-10-2001, 12:33 AM
Never saw mall rats. Clerks was over-rated tripe (would have been fine as a ten minute short).

Dogma was okay and had a few nice moments, but I got sick and tired of the "Jay and Silent Bob" characters after about five minutes. The constant swearing really got old... I only saw part of Chasing Amy, what I did see was better than most of Smith's work, but it wasn't that good either.

I guess you can tell I'm not really a Kevin Smith fan. ; )

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]
 acdcfanbill
08-10-2001, 2:10 AM
well, mafia, he made clerks (b&w) and chasing amy (my least fav).

too bad kurgan, i think you miss out, when you dont like KS's work, oh well, to each his own...
 Mafia_Jabba
08-10-2001, 2:19 AM
Thanks for the heads up!
 acdcfanbill
08-10-2001, 10:56 PM
hey, if its about an funny or older movie, or a cult classic, i prob know about it. and on the off chance i dont, i usually find out... curse of the movie buff... :D
 acdcfanbill
08-23-2001, 12:59 AM
bump, i mean, well the preimer is only two days off... i was an idiot and missed the special preview, but i'll catch it fri... so, have i enticed anyone else to see this movie yet?!?!
 acdcfanbill
08-25-2001, 10:52 PM
so, am i the only one who saw it, and laughed so much that my voice hurt afterwords??? i though it was funny as hell, a lot of refrences to previous movies in it... though i didnt see anything to do with hockey or skiball, thats funny... oh well, i only saw it once, and was laughing most of the time...

edit:
umm, thats skeeball i think...

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: acdcfanbill ]
 OnlyOneCanoli
08-26-2001, 12:08 AM
I will not lower myself to that level. I will not watch such an idiotic movie.

Yes I will. Tomorrow, hopefully.
 WD_ToRMeNt
08-26-2001, 1:38 AM
Nope, not gonna see it.
 Jimi-Wan
08-26-2001, 3:23 PM
Bill, your not alone. I saw it, and it was friggin hilarious. Of coarse my favorite part was the ending fight with Mark Hamill. This whole film was awesome, IMO.
 ed_silvergun
08-27-2001, 11:08 PM
I will definitely be seeing it. Of the Kevin Smith movies I have seen, Mallrats is by far the best. It's all the little irreverent references to modern culture which mark out his genius. Chasing Amy was enjoyable but not to the same extent. But I look forward eagerly to another Smith film.
 access_flux
08-30-2001, 12:12 AM
where is this movie Showing? i checked the paper and it isn't at any of the places near me, infact it isn't in the paper at all.

why? is god trying to piss me ofF?
 Krayt Tion
08-30-2001, 1:46 AM
I just caught it.

Good use of my time, I enjoyed it.

Two things, All that needs to be said:

(don't read -spoilers spoilers-)

Cameos.

14 year olds getting their Since I'm a Mod I'm Going To Edit This Part. THEY DID WHAT NEEDED TO BE DONE. WORD.

[ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: Krayt Tion ]
 DUM-4
08-30-2001, 9:48 PM
Saw it on opening day. Pretty good movie. Can't wait till it comes out on DVD so It can set beside the other 4 movies and Clerks:AS.
 OnlyOneCanoli
08-30-2001, 10:10 PM
I went to see it but couldn't find a way to let me into it. Not even any good samaritains would buy tickets for my friends and me. In 2 months I won't have to worry about R movies.

My town's crummy theater has a good friend of mine working there and he'll let us in. Gotta figure out when he is working...
 ed_silvergun
08-31-2001, 10:36 AM
Hmmm... that sucks... I've never been refused entry to a film before, even when I was under-age. How old do you have to be to see and 'R' rated film?

Anyway, this film isn't even out here in England until November. Now that really sucks. :mad:
 Kurgan
08-31-2001, 2:38 PM
R (Restricted) is supposed to mean that if you are under 17, you can only see the film if you are accompanied by a parent or guardian (adult who gives permission for you to see it essentially).

There is some debate (up to the theatre owner/staff's discretion) over whether a 17 year old can get in without a parent/guardian or if only 18 and up can.

This is in contrast to the NC-17 rating (NOONE under 17 allowed, even if they have an adult with them). Of course does that mean 17's can go, or just 18's and up? Most places interpret that to mean 18 (most 'adult materials', ie: containing graphic sexual themes, are rated that way, although some states raise the age to 21 years old, the same for liquor purchasing).

Of course the criticism of many theatres by parent groups is that since many of the folks who work there are teenagers or twenty-somethings, they just look the other way and let kids get into R-rated films, or else kids just sneak in, and the theatre doesn't care, because they got their money already (movie places make most of their money from concessions, not tickets, anyway).

When it comes to rentals, many places have rules about who can rent what, and they can always check it with the card of the person renting the film. So if a little tyke goes in wanting to rent Blood Sport or something, then the parent would have to phone and say they could, or else put a note in their account saying under 17's in their household can rent on it whatever they want (this is Blockbuster's policy for example).

Kurgan

[ August 31, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]
 Krayt Tion
08-31-2001, 3:16 PM
Well there are either teens working at the ticket counter or a certain type of Aging Guy With A Goatee (also slightly overweight by American Societal Standards <---- don't buy into these btw) that takes some sick pleasure in carding people due to some mistreatment earlier in life. :p

After giving myself permission to stereotype I'll say that one such man was at the counter when I bought my Jay and Silent Bob ticket. Or should I say tried to buy my ticket, the bum turned me away. I was riding the Metro that day and hadn't bothered to bring any ID, and I thought I would have no problem getting in. Keep in mind I am not a teenager, my hair is approaching lengths longer than what American society smiles upon, and I hadn't shaved for a few days. I might be somewhat of a scruffy-looking punk, but I ain't no underage kiddie trying to sneak into an R flick because it's cool. Hell, I was seeing that kind of R stuff secretly at my a friend's house when I was 6 while this guy was probably still waxing his grandmother's car because he couldn't go anywhere with his 9PM curfue.

Luckily I had nothing else to do that day but ride home, grab my bloody ID, ride back to that same theatre and slam it against the glass so he could take a nice long look. Only he wasn't there. :o Oh well, I still saw J&SBSB like I should have 3 hours earlier.
 Kurgan
08-31-2001, 4:18 PM
*gets image of Krayt as a long-haired hippie punk*

haw haw haw.. sorry! ; )

I'd say the societal standards in this country (the United States of A) depend a lot on the particular state you are in, and the part of town you are in. Some places have some different standards, personally I think you should be able to do what you want when it comes to your appearance (though some people will always stand out more than others, and should realize this).

Kurgan
 ed_silvergun
08-31-2001, 10:59 PM
Yeah, that's what seems odd to us over in Britain. Everything's uniform here, and really pretty self-explanatory. Films for example, come in several ratings: 'U' is "universal" (everyone can get in), 'PG' is "Parental Guidance" (you have to be five or over, or accompanied by an adult if you are younger), '12' (you have to be twelve to get in), '15' (you have to be fifteen to get in) and '18', which, surprisingly, you have to be eighteen to get in to.

I've also heard that the US and Canada are stricter than the UK with ID. I've been asked for ID trying to buy alcohol before, but never when trying to get into films...
Page: 1 of 1