Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

DF / JK / MotS levels porting to Q3/JO engine

Page: 1 of 1
 magnum
07-24-2001, 3:15 PM
I'm starting this thread as a continuation of this one (http://www.jediknightii.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000351&p=), started by JediBendu.

While I don't think that porting the complete game would be possible by fans (just to mention a couple of reasons: time & legal issues), I would like us to start at least with the maps, and evolve to have more complex textures, characters and so on.

I have background in:
programming
graphics
web sites
Quake editing

Anyone who want to join, just contact me:

ICQ# 6922060 (I have to authorize, so please put in the reason "jedi outcast" or so)
e-mail: fstein@uol.com.ar (preferred)
fstein@hotmail.com (if the one above doesn't work)

I'm waiting! :D
 PreTZeL
07-24-2001, 3:49 PM
im jumpin on this wagon :D
 Roger
07-24-2001, 4:15 PM
Background:

- Graphic Design, architectural design and web design.

- Working on a Total Conversion right now.

Limited time available for texture creation and skinning.

Oh and I use MicroSoft Messenger. roger_kemp@hotmail.com

Sorry, I don't use ICQ anymore... don't like it.
;)

[ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: Roger ]
 PreTZeL
07-24-2001, 9:16 PM
thanks for your contributions,
now if we can only get a hold of a few more helpers... :D
 magnum
07-25-2001, 6:56 PM
So far, I'm doing the test version of the geometry converter, but I'm having difficulties in the vertex (JK) to planes (Quake) translation.
Does anybody have experience in this kind of algorithms?
Thanks!
 Roger
07-26-2001, 6:17 PM
Nope... :(
 Uber
07-26-2001, 9:45 PM
Well. I'm in. I have a lot of experience in level building and JK editing. I'd just have to brush up to get back in gear. I also have access to pretty advanced model building tools, and texture editing software. With permission, I can assemble a team of people who can do pretty much anything you need.

I've spoke with some people, and I think we should rebuild everything. Conversion is just not going to work for this. We have an advanced engine...and we'd just be looking at JK models and worlds once again, no matter what engine were using. Others have considered this in posts, and I think this is the only way we can go.

I think first of all, we will need to relax and wait for the game to come out. We could do months of work, and it wouldn't matter if it wasn't compatable with JO. We could start doing things like building models, because if its possible to convert the models to a format JO will take, they can be stored someplace else for now and converted later.

I don't have a clue what this is going to take in the end though...I'm just shaking a stick.

We won't even need an army for this, just people with specific talents.

Count me in.
 PreTZeL
07-26-2001, 10:51 PM
we all enjoy shaking sticks :D
welcome aboard
 WD_ToRMeNt
08-01-2001, 2:47 PM
I wish you luck, if you do succed please do Battle Ground Jedi :)
 CaptainRAVE
08-03-2001, 8:17 PM
Yea, I wish u all luck aswell. Its unlikely you'll be able to do it though. But prove me WRONG :)
 WD_ToRMeNt
08-04-2001, 3:34 PM
Know only a little about editting. But the way I understand it, JK and Q3 go about map disign in and entirely differant way, thus making the job very difficult. It might just have to be made from scratch with the origional as a guide. That might be a little easier then writing a program to convert it.
Page: 1 of 1