Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Reloading Weapons

Page: 1 of 2
 HyperAquaBlast
06-27-2001, 5:12 PM
Do you think the game will have you reload your blasters and such with new energy clips?
 wardz
06-27-2001, 5:20 PM
I can't see it being TOO realistic, that takes the fun out of it.

wardz
 TheJackal_jk2
06-27-2001, 5:29 PM
I want to have reloading animations. I hated it in JK when the energie cell (of the gun)was huge and could be "upgraded" by picking energie cells off the ground. It is a small detail, but it annoyed me.
 Mafia_Jabba
06-27-2001, 5:37 PM
energy should be recharged like in tribes...mabe you would switchout charing cells or whatever
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-27-2001, 5:58 PM
I doubt it because DF and JK had laser ammo for lack of a better term. I agree it's unrealistic, but it works for me, and it's fun.
 DeathBoLT
06-27-2001, 7:23 PM
requiring you change your clip would be a good idea if the game was more strategy based and slower paced like CS, but if its an allout DM, changing clips would be a hassel.
 Ice Man
06-27-2001, 10:20 PM
Definitely want to see some cool reload animations. If memory serves me right, blasters and normal energy pistols run on little energy cells/packs. There will most likely be some heavy weapons that will require the reloading of shells/rockets/missiles/big stuff. Definitely looking forward to that.
However, the Imperial repeater rifle could be a weapon without the need to reload clips. It is a chaingun, right?
 Mercenary_Turned_Jedi
06-28-2001, 3:52 AM
Heck , If JK 2 ends up being like SWAT 3 then you know you're gonna get wasted by the Stormtroopers either when you run out of ammo and have to replace the clip, or when you just killed a platoon of 'em and "Speed Reload (A.K.A.:Tactical Reloading)".

Either way, you're still as good as dead if you don't have the Lightsaber

:D
 HyperAquaBlast
06-28-2001, 4:06 AM
i always wanted to reload in JK. i dunno reloading always seem cooler to me in games to me. if it doesnt have it maybe someone could mod it in :)
 Mercenary_Turned_Jedi
06-28-2001, 5:43 AM
Check out the new topic "Save the Lightsaber" in the Jedi Temple.

Mercenary_Turned_Jedi
06-28-2001, 6:08 AM
Check out this image ! If you're interested in learining who this Dark Jedi babe is, check out the topic JK II inside info/ spoilers.

http://www.starwars.com/eu/img/eu_curve.jpg)

KillerBee
06-28-2001, 7:06 AM
no reloading.. I never saw a stormie/rebel troop reload damnit. so why the hell should we in game.
(slows up gameplay to.. bad thing)
 Mercenary_Turned_Jedi
06-28-2001, 7:09 AM
LOL !!!!
WHY ? YOU ASK WHY ? HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!! AARGGHHH!

To make it more realistic, dumb-dumb. WHY did you even post that ^ letter ?

Kettch
06-28-2001, 9:53 AM
I'm for reloading, it makes the game more realistic and its more fun
 Mercenary_Turned_Jedi
06-28-2001, 9:56 AM
Yeah, much fun when you get yer a$$ kicked by a rodian with only a stormtrooper rifle.

:cool:
 CaptainRAVE
07-22-2001, 11:38 AM
Hopefully there should be some form of reloading considering all the new games have that feature these days. That was really annoying with Jk be cause you had one huge clip :rolleyes:
 acdcfanbill
07-22-2001, 11:53 AM
ya, i loved the reloading in Outlaws, sure it was way to fast for a six shooter, and you never ejected spent brass, but it still was pretty cool. as for powercells in blasters, they never had a shot limit either, they only have settings like full, low and critical, from what i remimber. so who knows how many shots are in a cell anyway, maybe its 500, maybe its twenty, who knows. but i agree, there should be some sort of clip/powercell reloading feature. event though this will clutter up the HUD a little. it just gives it a little more realism (like you could add a lot to the SW universe).
 Krayt Tion
07-22-2001, 7:38 PM
Reloading in JK2 would be sweet. Over the past year I've leaned more heavily towards games where you must reload most of the weapons. It breaks up the pace of the game just the way I like it. Less of a crazy gib fest and more of a calculated style of play. I'm plenty fast, but limited clips and reloading prevents the smart person from spraying with impunity and usually making their shots count more.

Who's Faster is boring to me. I've been playing Who's Faster for too many years. I want to see Who's Smarter instead as well as who is fast, and limited clips and reloading help this happen.
 CaptainRAVE
07-22-2001, 7:54 PM
It would definatly add much realism to the game....hopefully the realism that JK lacked so very much. :rolleyes:
 acdcfanbill
07-22-2001, 10:58 PM
it adds realism, sure, but how real is SW anyway? back to reloading, how about reloading dbl weapons? i many games (that i've played containg dbl weapons) the reload time for single and double weapons are nearly equal, as far as i can tell. reloading dbl should take at least twice as long, cause you gotta free up one hand to pull out the clip, stuff in a new one, and then switch hands, and do it all over again. i know it would be annoing, but it would add realism, and help balance the guns powers.
 JediBendu
07-23-2001, 10:51 AM
KillerBee had a great point. Name me one time in a Star Wars movie that your see someone reload a weapon, or check its power cell?

Realism in JK equates to the Star Wars universe, not our universe.
 CaptainRAVE
07-23-2001, 3:37 PM
But in gaming, it would add realism. Most games implement reloading and i think this game should aswell.
 acdcfanbill
07-23-2001, 3:40 PM
well, this is the EU, and i remimber many people saying check the power cell, or its full, or what not in books.
 C.H.A.S.
07-23-2001, 4:08 PM
I don't like reloading it never appealed to me to much and for all the people out there that want it because it looks cool remember in many games reloading is basically the person bringing the gun out of your sight and a split second later returning it full of ammo. Real Cool
:cool: :rolleyes:
 CaptainRAVE
07-23-2001, 6:44 PM
In half life you saw your player reloading and it looked really cool. Anyone remember that?? If there is reloading i want it like that :)
 PreTZeL
07-23-2001, 8:24 PM
definitely NO reloading, like before mentioned, it is a deathmatch, and in like quake you dont reload, why would you in JK? it never happens in SW, that was also already mentioned....there is no reason to bring reloads in, you hear that Raven? heh ;)
 acdcfanbill
07-23-2001, 10:38 PM
i can take or leave the reload, what ever raven chooses to do...
 Krayt Tion
07-24-2001, 2:44 AM
Why is the clip on a stormie rifle there- for decoration? No. It has a function that we never got to see used. None of the stormies needed to reload a clip, they never even fired off enough shots in one sitting that we got to see. There were no drawn out fire fights that featured even one person taking enough shots in which a clip needed to be reloaded.

If you saw a storm trooper constantly firing off over 20 shots, the camera never leaving his side, and he didn't reload, then your point would be valid.
 DeathBoLT
07-24-2001, 2:00 PM
energy cells should be worth 50 energy.

powercells should be worth 100-200 power.

explosive charges should contain 3-6 charges.
 Sith Warrior
07-24-2001, 9:36 PM
Reloading is for the most part a bad idea. As far as we know, JK did reload. All energy weapons had a max of 500 energy or power cells, maybe that was because there were 500 round clips. People say that reloading adds more realism to the game, but keep in mind that this isn't Half-Life or S.W.A.T. 3, it's Star Wars. Games like the S.W.A.T. series are based on realistic events, whereas
the Jedi Knight series is based on the non-realistic Star Wars universe. Blasters do not fire cartridges as in the two mentioned above, they fire laser beams created by heat, think of the energy and power cells as batteries that charge up heat and just lose power, unlike a clip that looses individual bullets. The main reason that I hate reloading though is because it slows down gameplay and leaves you extremely vulnerable in a fire fight, thus making the game somewhat less enjoyable. Why sacrifice fun for realism?
 PreTZeL
07-24-2001, 9:45 PM
i agree totally, thank you for that extremely well thought out post :)
its not a deathmatch if you have to pause the gameplay at any time...reloading will never be necessary
 acdcfanbill
07-25-2001, 1:13 AM
well, ther prob shouldnt be reloading, but i disagree, ther was reloading in Outlaws, and that didnt detract from gameplay at all, it was cool...
 PreTZeL
07-25-2001, 1:16 AM
but outlaws...has absolutely nothing to do with star wars...
i have no idea what outlaws is like, but it sounds like an "old west" type game....they would obviously HAVE to reload, they dont have energy weapons or anything like that...
it just doesnt seem right...
think about reloading your conc in nf ji...can you see that being believeable??
 CaptainRAVE
07-25-2001, 3:10 PM
This could be a good poll for the site. Seeing as all the other polls probably are to help Raven anyway, then i think this should be made into a poll. It would be quite interesting to see the results as everyone have such different opinions on this matter.
 PreTZeL
07-25-2001, 3:12 PM
good idea,
can someone (like xcape) make a poll please?
i dont know who is authorized to do so
 Wilhuf
07-25-2001, 6:30 PM
In A New Hope, Princess Leia has to load her blaster when she is providing covering fire for Luke Skywalker just before they swing across the Death Star Chasm. She does this several times during the gunfight. Either she is reloading, recalibrating, or re-arming the blaster. So, there is a precedent for reloading in the Star Wars films.

I hope they have reloading in the game. I dont see why they couldn't make the rifle like an old semi-automatic M-1 rifle. You add a clip and fire until the clip is spent. You then add in a new clip to reload. You would have to press a key to actually swap in the new clip. Kinda like half-life's reloading system, or Outlaws, as was said.

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]
 CaptainRAVE
07-25-2001, 6:44 PM
See.....we definatly need an official vote on this on the home page :)
 PreTZeL
07-25-2001, 6:47 PM
we have to vote now....
NOW
i hate reloading...in HL/CS its ok, but not JK or JK2
 Krayt Tion
07-25-2001, 7:01 PM
I forgot she loaded her blaster there, I'm glad someone remembered, makes my point even more valid, and saves me from having to bust out my screenshots of DF and JK showing all the clips (call them whatever you want you to, damn, enegry clips, energy packs, or even 'thingies that must be stuck in the gun that let it go bam bam') that you add to pick up to get ammo into your gun. The only thing we were missing was the reloading animation. Now hopefully you can see it comes down to play mechanics that you personally enjoy, not some silly notion that clips don't fit into the Star Wars Universe at all.

Some more on that note, even if there were no evidence of guns being loaded in SW: I disagree with such a Black and White cookiecutter version of how the Star Wars universe is "unrealistic." The core of Star Wars is grounded in humanity, with it's main characters functioning for the most part within human abilites and emotions. Many people can easily see themselves existing in the Star Wars Universe if it were possible, because there are so many deliberate parallels between our worlds. One of these parellels is definitely technology. From the Corellian Corvette, a throwback to the George Lucas' love of street racing autos in the US, to the more obvious Stormtrooper Rifle, almost completely modeled off of a British rifle from one of the World Wars. The mere fact that we are able dicuss (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/) the technology of Star Wars comparatively and in light of our own should say something as well.
 PreTZeL
07-25-2001, 7:03 PM
i must say....your points are valid
if i did not detest reloading so much, you would have probably swayed me with that post ;)
be proud
 toms
07-27-2001, 2:20 AM
how about having power ports in the walls (like half life) that power up your power cells?? just a thought.

then maybe you could overlaod your weapons by overfilling their power cells... making them far more powerful, but likely to break, jam, overheat or something....

as for reloading... as long as it is automatic (like half life) i don't mind... but i don't need another button to worry about..
 Wilhuf
07-27-2001, 6:44 PM
I like the wall-mounted power station idea. Would add a little bit of strategy to gameplay: control the ammo stations to dominate a map. While we're at it, medical droids (a la Nar Shadda loading terminal) would be cool in place of (or in addition to) bacta packs.
 PreTZeL
07-27-2001, 8:20 PM
yeah i like that
and i like the overheating idea too...
is it true that raven/lec/whoever is legally NOT allowed to use anything they see here? if so i think itd be smarter for us to shut up and let *them* figure it out :D
 Krayt Tion
07-27-2001, 9:02 PM
we don't have legal possession of any of these ideas to the best of my limited knowledge. i am sure though that if anyone here sent any of our unsolicited ideas for a game to them it would in fact become their intellectual property.

besides, no one is going to sue for including reloading animations featured in part of this discussion, 'cept maybe those deathmatch purists claiming the slightly altered pace of the game has ruined the enjoyment in their lives and caused them to be hospitalized for substance abuse as a result. ;)

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: Krayt Tion ]
 acdcfanbill
07-27-2001, 10:12 PM
i would bet a very needed part of my anatomy to bet that most people here(including me) would love to have LEC/Raven use our idea, that IS the main reason we come up with them in the first place, is it not?

as too overheating... it been mostly used in SW books/maybe film, for explosions. somebody sets their blaster to overheat, and it explodes, opening a wall, or whatever needed. hmm, thats not a bad idea either, sort of a crude prox mine. of course we already have those, so, i dunno if the idea is good for anything then, i guess i'll file it with the rest of 'em.
 KillerBee
07-28-2001, 8:08 AM
prays for no reloading..
 chrispcarter
08-09-2001, 5:39 AM
"Check out this image ! If you're interested in learining who this Dark Jedi babe is, check out the topic JK II inside info/ spoilers." (read the first page)

Uhh... sorry to dissapoint you, but that's 'Mara Jade' from a Star Wars Galaxy Magazine photo feature.

Oh, and regarding weapon reloads, I hope they put them in, but have a decent clip capacity (12+ for pistols, 25/30 for the E-11).

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Jedi_Tyrael ]
 acdcfanbill
08-09-2001, 11:35 PM
ya, those pictures were for her SW-CCG card. i have the write up in SW Insider...
 UberChild
08-12-2001, 9:45 AM
I think there should be reloading for weapons that cant be deflected by the saber.. ie.. the blaster can be used till outta ammo, cos it can bedeflected, but the rocket or something similar should need to be reloaded every few shots.. that would make things fair to everyone.. dontcha think??? :cool:
 Sarcastic Saint
08-12-2001, 10:50 AM
Well if one would have to look at the weapons in SW and then try to be realistic about it i'd have to say that reloading SHOULD be applied.
Why?? well simple really the weapons are all/mostly energy based not object or "bullet" based.
It's therefore fair to assume that a "clip", which is essentially a battery, after it's depleted should be replaced, hence the reloading.
Unless ofcourse there is a way (any way) to somehow recharge it and therefore never having to replace it.
Well my $0.02 cents on this subject....have a nice day.... ;)
Page: 1 of 2